13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does Synaptics offer a Wintab driver? Have you tried switching between Wintab and TabletPC in Clip Studio Paint's "Preferences/Tablet/Using tablet service"? Also, under "File/Pen Pressure Settings," select "Adjust by multiple strokes" and then draw various lines on the canvas attempting to vary your force from lightest to heaviest touch. This should optimize the curve to your hand.

SchecterRocker likes this.
  2. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

Seem like 13" model has stylus already included in the box:
    (the man is a real weirdo)

3. Ballo1975

Ballo1975 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have recently bought the my tablet 2 from argos. It only has micro usb as output, no hdmi.
    Argos seem to think it can connect to a hdmi tv. I can only find MHL to hdmi or Slimport adapter. Neither
    of these publicly support the bush my tablet 2. The older model my tablet 1 had an hdmi out an this is mentioned in all the forums. I need to know which lead/cable i can purchase to display movies etc on my hdmi
    tv.
    All help appreciated

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

He seems like a professional tv presenter to me.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. SchecterRocker

SchecterRocker Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't find any Synaptics WinTab drivers. And changing to tablet service instead of WinTab fixed it (newbie ignorance), thanks.

*frantically rechecks box the Envy x2 15 came in* ........aaaaand dangit, no dice.

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oops, I had assumed CSP defaulted to "Tablet PC" mode (ie. MS Ink API) by default, if it didn't detect Wacom drivers. Sorry should have mentioned to check the Tablet settings...

How are you finding the pressure response after adjustment? In particular, is it easy to create a very light stroke on the first press?

Even Wacom tablets have a problem where the initial activation pressure actually falls in the middle of the pressure curve. So the lightest strokes can only be created by lightening pressure while already drawing, rather than right at the start.

Pressure calibration alleviates this somewhat, but I have never been able to get a totally controlled and smooth ramp up from zero—even on Cintiqs. Reviews say UC Logic performs better in this regard though.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  7. SchecterRocker

SchecterRocker Pen Pal - Newbie

Over the weekend, a friend decided to use my stylus as something good to throw at someone else who insulted them. The friend didn't know it was a stylus (not sure how that makes a difference) and it hit a wall and broke the nib. Therefore, sadly I cannot test it now.

So guess I'm ordering the Dell Active Stylus A03. I've heard good things about it in another thread here (compared to the A02 that I have), so I'll report back in about a week when I get it.

dceggert likes this.
  8. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

After reviewing the new Dell pen, can you give it to your friend to broke it, so you will buy an Acer stylus?! Then we will finally know which Synaptics stylus is better. :):D

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

When searching for reviews, I can't help but notice that HP doesn't exactly go out of their way to make it easy. How many different models of the Envy x2 15" are there anyway? (Which bear no relation to one another but still use the same name?)

Who does that?? Nobody does that! Everybody knows how to at least number their products. The warehouse guys must be lovin' their day jobs.

Edit: Sorry. Apple does that. You only know what your Macbook has inside it by flipping it over to look at the production date. Please, HP, don't follow the popular kids. sigh.

Is this.., is this some poor attempt to make me have to spend three times as long with their brand name in my forebrain while I Google around?

Is the confusion meant to be some kind of marketing gambit?

If so, it's not working. If anything, I'm feeling mildly frustrated, which they can add to my sour experience with the over-heaty-shutty-downy HP Pavilion P.O.S. I owned a few years ago.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  10. dbo_texas

dbo_texas Pen Pal - Newbie

FYI if anyone following this thread in the US is considering buying the 13.3" Envy X2, Best Buy just dropped the price from $1099 to $899 (model 13-j002dx). This exact same configuration will cost you $1230 on HP's website. This is for the Core M-5Y70, 256GB SSD, 8GB memory, 1920x1080 FULL HD display, WLAN 2x2 configuration. It does NOT include the HP pen in this store boxed configuration (there is a version in the UK -model 13-j002tu- which ships with the pen but this US version does not. Also, HP has dropped the pen price from $60 to $45 as of a few days ago. I'm gonna get one for xmas. I was torn between this and the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga which seems to be a little more powerful even though it uses the Haswell processors which are more powerful than the Core M Broadwell. Anyhow, Best Buy has a good return policy, so I figure there is little risk in buying this and trying it for a few weeks and then deciding if it is good enough for my use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.