13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Out of curiosity, how did you find this info? Do you know anything else regarding their planned product pipeline, eg. a 27" Cintiq refresh, or a Broadwell Companion?

I'm actually, quite worried about this development. If it is true, that means this generation of tablet pc might be the last to have Wacom EMR, and future tablet pcs will be laggy, battery-powered active capacitive digitizers :(

Is this Wacom's new plan to differentiate their Cintiq line—simply remove their EMR tech from tablets (except Companion)? Say it isn't so!

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't know if HP is using Wacom or not, but a quick search turns up this page...

Wacom | Components:Touch Panels

-Where evidently, Wacom has updated their offerings for developers. The 15.5" version says that a pen is possible, but still under development. -It's a wide and thin board, but it does offer about 10 extra square inches over my Tecra M4's 14" work area.

This makes me cautiously optimistic for the industry as a whole, but I still don't know about either of these HP devices. -I'd be inclined to think that HP is not using Wacom as they still list stylus support on their 15.6" device as "Possible/Developing". Wacom is a little late to the party on this one!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Another possibility is they aren't proactive in keeping the info on their web site up to date and they just haven't listed the 15" panel as Possible/Available yet.

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Very interesting find thatcomicsguy! The page doesn't seem to mention the active capacitive stylus solution thatsimpleatsh mention, however. In my opinion that's a good thing, as I would hate for Wacom to gradually phase out their EMR tech on tablet pcs.

I'm excited if Wacom is truly planning developing 14", 14.5", 15.6" 17.3" digitizers. However, I noticed that they all seemed to be in 16:9 aspect ratio :(.

Honestly, the one good thing they could have copied from Apple is the 4:3 aspect ratio on tablets, but no, most ODMs choose like lack-of-ports and thinness-at-all-costs to emulate. Wacom should just keep their old 4:3 digitizers for the 14"+ sizes like they had on the Tecra M4. I mean, even Samsung seems to moving away from 16:9 and using 16:10 in their new Galaxy Note and S tablets.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Can we get Rick to confirm the digitizer on theses models?

6. aphexgag

aphexgag Pen Pal - Newbie

hello! I was wondering if anyone had any further info on these machines. Details are next to impossible to find out there for the digitizer info, pricing etc. The youtube videos from the IFA really have me intrigued. I am looking for a new drawing machine (currently using 1st gen thinkpad tablet). Been looking at surface pro 3, thinkpad helix 2...anyone have any recommendations?

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The fact it says 'stylus sold separately and not included' isn't very promising. Wacom pens are cheap and pretty much always included.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

At least there is a picture showing a pen (or stylus).

10. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

It's very likely to be ATMEL...