13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks for your tests! Were you testing in ClipStudioPaint or another drawing app?

Also, do you do happen to have a Wacom Tablet PC? The reason I ask is that, even though the Note 3 has Wacom, it's better to compare similar sized digitizers with similar processors to assess performance.

However what you gave already gives us an excellent idea of the relative performance. Now I just gotta get my hands on Synaptics stylus and try this unit out again!

2. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

3. SchecterRocker

SchecterRocker Pen Pal - Newbie

I used ClipStudioPaint, as you suggested (I'm unfamiliar with pretty much anything besides OneNote - my favorite program/app of all time). I tried to dig around for some stylus settings to adjust, but at this point I'm going to wait until tomorrow with the official stylus.

Unfortunately I only have my Note 3 as a reference point. It's the only other product that I have with a digitizer. And I have about 4 months of experience with the Surface Pro 3's N-trig stylus.

EDIT: Official HP Stylus shipment delay update:

Just got the unfortunate email notifying me that instead of arriving today, the stylus should be here in "1-2 weeks". Guess I have Black Friday/Cyber Monday to thank for that.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm totally getting excited about this machine!

Looking forward to the reviews as they trickle down the internet pipes. Hopefully some artists will weigh in with their opinions soon. If it can do what I need, I think I'll be upgrading from my trusty Tecra M4. -I'm actually working on a project right now, (a "You Are Here" town map in the "Where's Waldo?" style), but it's huge and my poor Tecra's 2GB memory ceiling is steaming and chuffing and not really cutting it. A nice 15.6" screen with a modern chipset and 8Gigs RAM would be a welcome addition to my digital studio!

5. Marty

The one thing to be aware is it feels far too long for natural use in portrait mode (if that's how you draw); I kinda wish they put the speakers on the short side, so it would even out the wide aspect ratio.

The Cintiq Companion gets around this by just having huge bezels on both long and short edges. I can kinda see why they did that now.

But honestly, if Wacom (that's supposedly "built for artist") can't come up with anything other than 16:9 for their next product I'm seriously going to consider ditching it altogether...

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I have the same reservations for 16:9 as you do. In fact, I made some mockups earlier today to see what the HP Envy x 15.6" 16:9 would look like compared to my old Tecra M4 14" 4:3 when working with a typical digest-sized comic book page.

HP
    [​IMG] hp-15.6-screen-mockupPS-1.jpg
    [​IMG] hp-15.6-screen-mockupPS-4.jpg
    [​IMG] hp-15.6-screen-mockupPS-2.jpg

Tecra M4
    [​IMG] tecram4-mockup-PS-5.jpg
    [​IMG] tecram4-mockup-PS-1.jpg
    [​IMG] tecram4-mockup-PS-2.jpg

I dunno... The Tecra screen is 1.6" shorter on the diagonal, and has 600,000 fewer pixels than the HP, but it seems like the HP would still feel more cramped to draw on.

I really like being able to see the whole page when laying out a comics image. Neither machine can provide that, but the Tecra is closer. My Cintiq can handle it, -just-, but even on that I can't draw really much beyond rough layouts when zoomed right out. But the more "tall" I am able to see makes a huge difference psychologically. It takes away the constricted feeling.

What would be perfect for a portable would be a 15" screen at 4:3 - Or maybe that Surface Pro 3:2 format.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  7. eaglestar

Has anyone tried Envy/Pavilion X360 (I know it's not a tablet) and active stylus (Synaptics, for sure)? I still don't have any confirmed info about active pen support.

8. HuckleBoo

HuckleBoo Pen Pal - Newbie

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. eaglestar

10. Marty

Oh I totally agree. The "constricted feeling" is really from two factors, the bezel to screen proportion and the drawing viewport to interface chrome.

Here is where modern hardware/software design has cooked up the worst possible scenario for artists: 16:9 screens that feel squished already and title/menu bars which constrict the viewport in landscape or sidebars that constrict it in portrait!

You can't win!

The most natural scenario is a drawing viewport that matches the canvas dimensions. If you take look at your mock-ups, the Tecra M4 has a square viewport (which is good but not ideal), while the 16:9 produces a rectangular 3:2 viewport. Unfortunately, the rectangular viewport is the running wrong way... :confused:

[​IMG]

If you could rotate the whole 16:9 screen (i.e. portrait mode) while maintaining the position of the application chrome, that would allow an almost perfect viewport/canvas match. Unfortunately, no drawing app that I know of supports a "horizontal layers palette" for example.

So we're stuck. Either we wait for Wacom to put out a "squarish" tablet, or we wait for good UI designers to start taking better advantage of portrait screen real-estate (eg. horizontal toolbar docks).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.