13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SchecterRocker

SchecterRocker Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all this great info. I'm new here, so I didn't know everybody was already looking into all of this.

DANG, when I ordered, all they had was the 2 and 3 year Accidental plans, but right you are, they've added the stylus in as an addition. How annoying. I ordered from Best Buy anyway, so I guess that doesn't make a difference for me. Wonder if I can return the Dell Active Stylus to Amazon and get my money back.....?

EDIT: And now all of a sudden Best Buy has them in stock, and I can ship it to my closest store for free, so I guess that's going to happen.

By December 2nd (according to Best Buy), I will report back and let everyone know how the official (super-really-expensive-better-work-outstandingly-or-I'm returning-it) HP stylus works. And now, WE WAIT......

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

I think that previous revisions could be returned to Dell (they know it was a crappy stylus) and they sended you a newer one. Not sure if it's true for rev.02, but you can ask guys in Dell stylus thread (posted in last comment).

Can you post BestBuy link?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    SchecterRocker likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok, you caught my attention.

If this is true, then all that Synaptics has to do is improve the tip assembly and tweak the pressure calibration, and we should have an active capacitive digitizer equivalent to Wacom EMR! In one shot, Synaptics could jump from last place to ahead of Atmel and N-Trig.

To see if this is a real possibility, could you test the inking experience in an trial art app like ClipStudioPaint?

Please do the standard digitizer tests: fast circles, edge offset, straight line jitter, fine tracking precision, tip parallax, hover distance/palm rejection reliability, and hover latency for very sudden wide movements.

Thanks dude!

4. SchecterRocker

I'll try to post the Best buy link later, but the website is "unavailable" right now because Black Friday shut it down (I have to assume).

I'll try to give these tests a shot soon, but in all likelihood it will end up being tomorrow before I am able to. Also, while the stylus works extremely well for me, I realize many people will be disappointed by the pressure calibration with the Dell Active Stylus.

On Dec. 2nd, Best Buy claims I'll have the official HP Stylus for the Envy x2 13" and 15", so I'll know for sure then.

5. SchecterRocker

I finally tried out the pen tests. Once again, this is using the THIRD PARTY Dell Active Stylus. I will have the official stylus in by Tuesday. (Stupid thing better blow my mind for $60. This thing BETTER be good.)

Anyway, for the Dell Active Stylus (with the piece of fabric on the nib to protect the screen from the insanely unforgiving hard plastic pen nib), below are my findings in comparison to my Note 3 with Wacom:

Fast circles: The Envy performs surprisingly well, even when making large circles almost the height of the screen. I could not see any straight lines in the circles. The Note 3 responded ever-so-slightly faster while drawing the circles, and the circles were spot-on.

Edge offset: The offset begins at about 1/8" away from the edges of the screen. For a 15" screen, it's barely noticeable, whatever the actual distance is. It's actually more accurate than the Note 3. The Note 3's offset has a deadzone in it. When you get too close to the edge, sometimes it just stops showing the hover marker.

Straight-line jitter: This one was harder for me to judge. Straight horizontal lines were almost perfect, but diagonal lines had some jitter. Not terrible, but there was a little bit. I'm not sure if this is due in part to the spacing of the pixels being displayed on the screen, or it perhaps just isn't as accurate diagonally. The Note 3 performed better, with very straight horizontal and diagonal lines.

Fine-tracking precision: Very accurate. A few "jitters" here and there, but veeeeery accurate. In comparison to the Note 3, the Envy had better fine-tracking precision around edges.

Tip parallax: No noticeable tip parallax. Both the Envy and Note 3 performed well in this area.

Hover distance: The Envy has roughly double the hover distance of the Note 3. (rough guess, 1").

Palm rejection reliability: I found no problems with this.

Hover latency: spot on, and near-instantaneous.

Synaptics sure catches a lot of flak pretty much everywhere, but my experience has been quite the opposite. It's also my first time using Synaptics - before I used Wacom on the Note 3 and N-trig on the Surface Pro 3.

It's to the point that I'd lean towards the 15" Envy / Synaptics / Dell Stylus combo over the Surface Pro 3 / N-trig / official stylus combo (Wacom on the Note 3 is still my favorite).

Synaptics must have stepped their game up, because I'm not seeing the horribleness that everyone proclaims. It's by no means perfect, but it's not even close to as bad as everyone says (on the Envy, at least).

EDIT:

Forgot, here's that Best Buy HP Stylus link:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-acti...03.p?id=1219473261320&skuid=1169103&sellerId=

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    bloodycape, Marty, quanghmd and 2 others like this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thank-you for these updates, SchecterRocker!

It sounds like a really nice device, and it's cool to hear that the Synaptics system is performing well! That's a very unexpected development. Nobody really saw that coming, and it could change things for digital artists in a big way.

I hope one shows up at a local computer outlet around my neck of the woods so's I can try it out. And I hope they have the pen...

Hopefully the stylus you've got arriving in the mail works nicely. A video demo of the machine running some art software would be great to see if you have the inclination.

Cheers!

7. SchecterRocker

I agree - with the official stylus, hopefully I will have a chance to do a video. I am absolutely not an artist, so I'm starting to get paranoid that once an actual artist tries it out, they'll think I have no clue what I'm talking about. All I can do at this point is state facts about the performance of each technology (which I had better be good at, as an engineer). But on the flip-side, I can't comment on the real-world artistic performance of the Envy since I have no idea what I'm talking about on that front. My main concern for artists at this point is the super-sensitive pressure calibration. So we'll see.

8. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

So the HP stylus looks the same we saw at IFA. Looking forward to see it in action.

Relax. Nobody is gonna do art-things with Synaptics. For those things Wacom was invented :);)

9. quanghmd

quanghmd Pen Pal - Newbie

FYI: They are on sale ($100 off) at HP USA.

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah.., but given that Wacom seems content to not get off its rump and provide that 15" penabled system, I'm going to make plenty of room in my heart for the first competitor to bring a workable system to market.

You don't have to be an artist to do a circle/pressure test, or measure subjectives like cursor lag.

I live in a permanent state of cautious optimism anyway. Adding Synaptics to the list of "maybes" isn't going to hurt any. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.