13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quanghmd

quanghmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, that sounds great. Hope that the experience improves even more with Rev3.
    I second this also.

2. Nait

Nait Scribbler - Standard Member

Could you get more details ... which issue we have with sound?
    Low volume, noise, ... ?

3. SchecterRocker

SchecterRocker Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much for this information. I ordered my HP Envy x2 15" because of this comment, and I got my stylus and Envy yesterday. I can also report that the Dell Active Stylus (rev. A02) works!

I was surprised by the speakers. I don't think many people who have commented on the speakers have actually tried the x2 15" out, because they are by far the best tablet speakers I've ever heard. Don't expect them to thump your house, but with the equalizer that comes with the Beats program, you can tweak the sound to your liking. Disclaimer: I'm no Beats fanboy. I just appreciate the fact that it comes with a fully-functional and user-friendly equalizer.

If anybody has any questions, please ask. I'd love to contribute back to the forum.

4. quanghmd

Could you say something about inking on the Envy?

5. SchecterRocker

First of all let me say that I purchased the Dell Stylus to prove to myself that the Envy x2 15" indeed does or does not have a digitizer (it does, as everyone here speculated). If it did not have a digitizer, I was going to send it right back. HP's documentation on the stylus is nothing short of horrendous and sickening. I called HP Support and they told me that it does not have a digitizer, and that I would have to use a capacitive (crapacitive?) stylus. Thankfully, they were wrong.

Also, let me just say that I'm hooked on the Envy now, but I am not equipped to grade the HP's inking experience until I have the official stylus in my hands. With that said:

I've been using the Surface Pro 3 since August to take notes in OneNote daily, and I have been taking Notes on my Note 3 daily for more than a year. Therefore, my experience with styli involves Wacom, N-Trig, and now Synaptics on the Envy x2 15".

By far, my favorite inking experience is on the Note 3 with Wacom. The stylus response and hovering is instantaneous, and the pressure sensitivity is spot-on. The inking on the Surface Pro 3 is still really good, but stylus hovering lags, and overall the stylus response is not quite as fast as the Note 3 with Wacom.

For the Envy x2 15", I can't make a solid statement yet. I'm using a third-party stylus (Dell), and I'm hesitant to grade the inking experience based on a third-party product. What I can say is that I despise that Dell made the stylus nib with some kind of super-hard plastic, and it requires more force than I'm willing to use on the screen. To remedy this, I've managed to fit a piece of fabric around the nib and hold it on with a small black tube. This allows me to write without scraping the hard plastic nib across the 15" screen.

As for the inking experience (again, take this with a grain of salt, because I'm not using the official HP stylus), it's not fabulous. Stylus hovering is instantaneous, which is awesome, but inking recognition isn't perfect. Thankfully writing is VERY accurate, but it's a little difficult to maintain a constant pressure. Little "blips" sometimes appear when lifting the nib off the screen, and I have to lift the stylus completely out of range of the digitizer a few times to switch between "write mode" and "erase mode". Does it work? Yes. Can you take notes with it? Yes. I'm no artist, but I feel like this wouldn't be the best choice for artists though (AGAIN, third-party stylus, no concrete conclusions can be made yet.)

Here's what I'll say: whoever designed the HP Envy x2 15" has A TON of common sense. The design decisions on this bad boy blow my mind compared to the Surface. I'd love to do a video review when I can find a little time, because I have all kinds of points to make on how just about every design aspect favors the Envy.

Unless you consider yourself a professional artist, or you absolutely require the best inking experience available, I believe the Envy is a better all-around package in nearly every other aspect.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. quanghmd

SchecterRocker : Thanks for the great input. So several recent reviews have been positive about inking on Envy.

The problem is that now I'm using the excellent (but super old) X200t. I remember a while back I tried inking some non-Wacom monitor (likely an N-trig) and it was so horrible that I'm reluctant to switch to something else. However writing on a 15" screen is just too tempting.

I hope that the inking would be better with the official HP stylus. But then again, with the support experience you had with HP doesn't seem to guarantee that.

7. Bornferg

Bornferg Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your comments, I think they are spot on. I had exact same experience with HP support. I am using the Dell stylus for inking with pretty good results, but I hate the tip of the pen particularly compared to wacom pens where I can use an assortment of tips.(not an artist at all, just dont really like the hard plastic tips) I tried to get the official HP stylus (773175-001), 4 days after ordering, HP emailed me informing me my order was canceled because the stylus was "obsolete." After a followup email, they told me the stylus should be available at a few retailers. Is this (773175-001) the HP stylus you are referring to ? Is there a synaptics alternative to the Dell stylus ?

I agree with you that HP has designed a really nice surface pro alternative, especially if you are looking for a larger screen size.

8. SchecterRocker

Just for kicks, I tried switching between inking the x2 15" and my Note 3 with its class-leading stylus performance a few times. What I found is that both have near-instantaneous inking and hover response, which I couldn't even say for the Surface Pro 3.

The difference is that the x2 15" has a VEEEERY sensitive pressure curve, so when I'm writing with it letters may be different sizes in the same word. I think over time I will become more used to this pressure curve while writing.

What am I saying? That **** even with a third-party stylus, the Envy x2 15" it OBJECTIVELY performs almost as well as Wacom.**** (I realize this is like blasphemy to a lot of Wacom fans, but that's the cold, hard truth. Again, I'm not an artist, but far from it - an engineer.) The difference is the super-sensitive pressure curve that the Envy x2 15" seems to have, and there is the occasional "blip" when lifting the stylus off the screen.

If I can even come close to a Wacom inking experience on a 15" screen, you know I'll switch. So I switched. Having this good of an inking experience on a massive screen is unheard of. Actually, this is the first time I've heard of a 15" tablet with a digitizer.

Somewhere I read that HP plans on releasing the Envy x2 13" and 15" stylus sometime in December. I tend to believe this, because there is no documentation AT ALL for this thing. Anywhere. As far as the part number (773175-001), I only know the part number from the repair manual that was posted for the Envy x2 13" model. So yes, I think that's the one I'm referring to. The only pictures I've seen of it are in advertisement pics for the Envy x2 13" / 15" and videos from a German Electronics Expo on Youtube.

I can only hope there is an alternative to the Synaptics Dell Active Stylus. Honestly for my use, and with the piece of fabric that I put on the end to cover up the hard plastic nib, it works great - I would maybe venture to say it works outstandingly. But I think most people won't be as forgiving.

Is anyone else aware of a Synaptics Dell Active Stylus alternative that has a soft nib? With a soft nib, I believe inking on the HP Envy x2 15" would approach the experience on my Note 3 with Wacom.

9. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

I am glad it helped, because that's why this forum is for, helping. Now about the stylus. Well, nobody knows anything, especially HP :). I posted a pic of that pen taken from manual of Pavilion x2 10 in another thread and it looked like slim wacom from Samsung (may be you read it), but at IFA there was a fat stylus. Was asking HP rep for any info, but till now nothing. It is strange you were not able to order the HP pen, because it seems in stock at Amazon (no picture though).
    For your Envy you can use the old Dell pen (which you have), or newer revision (750-AAGN) also from Dell (seems to have it's own problems, http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/new-dell-stylus-11-3-14.64415/page-4 ), Acer stylus (http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/pd/ThemeID.35703000/productID.306560900), or the mystic and totally enigmatic HP 773175-001, when it will be really available. You can try which one has a good nib.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    SchecterRocker likes this.
  10. quanghmd

Just a question: There's an optional pen on the order page. Did you guys order it and they told you to wait?

SchecterRocker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.