13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

There's been a slew of misinformation by Samsung. If the Note 4 does support tilt and barrel rotation, I haven't seen it implemented in any software or demonstrated anywhere.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Marty, you seem unusually invested in wanting to believe that Wacom is not competing in the market place by using obvious tactics readily available to them.

It's not like anybody is claiming that they are breaking the law. Being a dick isn't illegal. -Or maybe it is just the idea that people *can* behave in underhanded ways that upsets you?

Whatever the case, this is small-fry stuff. Sadly, despite what we might wish, the world is *run* almost entirely by Game Theory-using Machiavellians, and there are much worse things going on out there than the incidence of inferior and/or over-priced art tools.

N-Trig only really affects artists anyway. (And, I suppose, people who frequently need to select and drag the little lines between spread-sheet cells. That cursor hover problem is a pretty significant one). But for casual note-takers, I'd argue that N-Trig is the superior choice, what with being accurate to the screen edge and all.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

My Understanding is that the digitizer that the Note Series uses offers a lower profile and uses less power then the ones that are typically used on the Tablet PC space.

4. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

... and is much better, because edge and corner writing is less problematic compared to others. BTW, how many Wacom shares does Samsung own?! I think quite a lot.

5. jnjroach

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'll quote you directly. In the original thread about this, you stated:

That's pretty much the stating the first speculative theory on my list. It also strongly implies the second theory. As for the third, you stated in another thread:

It's true that people will always come up with their own theories. But given your status as an MS MVP, when you also promote these speculative lines of thought, these ideas will snowball much, much quicker (and be misrepresented as fact).

In the future, I think it's important to clearly state what is the direct info from your source, and what are your own ideas based off that info.

Believe me, I've felt the effect of Wacom's "market tactics" as much as the next guy on this forum—and I don't like them. But recently the Wacom conspiracy theories have started to take a new fervor: people not bothering to check their facts, confusing speculation from quoted sources, etc...

It's disconcerting, because I've always valued this forum for its rational and analytical discussion (mixed with humor). And just to be clear, I like both of you jnjraoch and comicsguy. Your posts are informative and interesting, so please don't misunderstand this debate regarding Wacom as personal dislike or anything.

What I would like is instead, a very fact-based, cool-headed discussion on Wacom's policies. For example, I think we should actually do an analysis of the strategic advantages/disadvantages of a supposed Wacom/Samsung alliance. In my view, I think Wacom stands to lose much more than gain, by restricting its new digitizers to only Samsung Android devices. I also don't feel that 5% ownership is enough for Samsung to enforce such an exclusivity contract. But please let me hear your thoughts on the issue.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  7. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

5 % is enough for pulling strings.

8. jnjroach

Those were paraphrased all from my source and the conversation we had....I don't consider those conspiracy theories. Wacom did not want to supply a digitizer for a larger screened Surface as they were committed to their device and the Samsung Note Pro 12.1.

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So then aren't you saying that your source does go further than only "Wacom requested that Microsoft remove mention of Wacom Technologies from the Surface Pro 1 and 2 Marketing material". Which is what you said before?

Alright, let's work with that. Do you think that it was an informal agreement or do you think that there was a contract where Samsung agreed to a $60M investment in exchange for exclusivity for a certain period of Wacom's new digitizers for their Note series?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  10. jnjroach

My source did say that Wacom requested the marketing material be changed and that Wacom didn't want to support the larger Surface design, and I'll assume that the person was speculating the reasoning behind their stance.

The Wall Street Journal article speaks of joint development of the Note series between Wacom and Samsung and later implies that Samsung had reserved the rights to purchase more (or buy) of Wacom.

What you are asking for is an official statement from Microsoft that states this, it isn't going to happen as Wacom is still a Partner in both Software and Hardware to Microsoft and so is Samsung. All you will get in back channel comments and leaks that happen outside of Marketing or CxO Executive Level. These leaks come via the engineering and/or product teams.

This is exactly how MJF, Paul Thurrott, Tom Warren Daniel Rubio, etc. get their stories, it happens through relationships and trust.

I know you want more but I can't and won't go any further into my source, I'm keeping it vague on purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.