13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

That's fine....it allows some hope that Wacom is still serious about this space and that the Surface line may somehow come back to it.

What is public from Microsoft, they looked at both technologies and companies and went with N-Trig as they were willing to innovate and engineer their solution on the SP3, offered better battery life and a thinner package overall. Microsoft worked with all of the hardware venders on the integration of parts into the SP3.

Wacom currently has bet on their Artist Targeted Tablets and Samsung Notes Series. More OEMs are moving to N-Trig or experimenting with AMTEL or Synaptics.

2. colorsdiary

colorsdiary Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a point of view here ..
    I like the fact that ntrig existed and some other competitors are coming along, and getting better .

Frankly , wacom has always been expensive , they would have f**ked us with prices if they were the only option .

and ... I don't think that n-trig is inferior to wacom .

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think everyone is agreed here that competition with Wacom in the digitizer space is a good thing, and that N-Trig is currently best among that competition.

The problem is when people readily believe any rumor on Wacom's anti-competitive policies, without checking if it is plausible or consistent with the facts...Wacom is overpriced and slow to evolve, but spreading unfounded rumors based on those frustrations, doesn't help the situation.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  4. jnjroach

Use some deductive thought, I'm a Surface MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional) and my source is privy to the situation, My entire family was invited by Microsoft to the Surface Gen 2 Launch in New York to be one of the Use Case Scenarios Speakers...I would say I'm pretty close to the situation.

5. Marty

Again I'm not disputing the accuracy of your source (in fact, I'm very glad we've got an MS MVP on this forum :)). I'm disputing the conclusions drawn from it.

I'll state again, the rumor that is spreading around is that: "Wacom deliberately tried to hide info about the Wacom digitizer in the Surface Pro, in order to boost Cintiq Companion sales."

But nobody has offered any form of explanation why Wacom would then, immediately after, confirm both their partnership MS and the Wacom digitizer in the Surface Pro, on public interview on a popular tech blog.

If the theory is in contradiction with the facts, it's time re-evaluate the theory.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  6. jnjroach

No, the rumor was and is, Wacom requested that Microsoft remove mention of Wacom Technologies from the Surface Pro 1 and 2 Marketing material.

7. Marty

Look just a few pages back, the rumors go much further than that. The speculation on Wacom's policy against MS isn't just limited to this forum either. Basically, people have used that little piece of information to justify all sorts of speculation:

• Wacom was trying to hiding info about the SP1/2 digitizer to protect Cintiq Companion market share
    • Wacom refused a digitizer part request from MS in order to sabotage the SP3
    • Wacom and Samsung are in an alliance against MS and other Windows tablet ODMs
    Somehow this speculation seems treated like fact in itself, echoed from thread to thread, and only serve as flame bait for people to vent on their frustrations on Wacom's monopoly.

I would like a bit more rational analysis rather than the bandwagon hopping I see going on across various forums.

8. jnjroach

If it went that far, it wasn't from me, but with any move like this speculation will run rampant but there is some truth in the Samsung rumors (mainly through the fact that none of the new Wacom Engineered Digitizers used on the Note Series has ended up on any other ODM/OEM Tablet). Microsoft chose N-Trig for multiple reasons:

1. N-trig offers better battery life for the device in a thinner package
    2. N-trig Provided direct engineering (hardware and software) support on the Project
    3. N-trig allowed for Microsoft to design the Pen
    4. N-trig allowed for much better edge tracking (a major complaint with Wacom)

The bottom line, for the vast percentage of the Surface Pro 3's Target Audience the N-trig solution offered a more competitive package than Wacom. Microsoft chose note-takers over artists and it has left a bad taste in many members of the artist communities' mouth (my commentary).

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Aside from the Rebranding of the Penabled brand to Feel It, and "advertising" higher pressure levels, in what ways is the note digitizer different from other tablet PCs with a Wacom sensor board? The pens run at the same frequency so their all still compatible, IAF is the same.....and I've had plenty of usage of almost the whole note line up to the newest Note 4, and aside from Android vs windows, I see no discernible difference at all between the note digitizer or that between any other Wacom penabled tablet PC. The only newish trick done on the note line was disabling the digitizer field when the stylus was in the silo....but lenovo was able to bring that to its thinkpad Helix line (without the option to turn it off sadly)

10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

There's been a slew of misinformation by Samsung. If the Note 4 does support tilt and barrel rotation, I haven't seen it implemented in any software or demonstrated anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.