13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm surprised that there isn't more discussion at the new Envy tablets revealed IFA. According to TabTec they sport Wacom digitizers!

Personally I'm psyched for the 15" version, I haven't seen that large of a Wacom UD since the days of the Tecra M4! Just wish they would have gone with a 3:2 aspect ratio...but hey I'm not complaining. Kudos to HP for reviving big Wacom tablets! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Quite nice, if the bit about Wacom is true. And yes, in general there seems to be fairly low excitement about newly introduced options. Maybe we're getting spoiled!

3. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

I strongly suggest it is NOT Wacom but Atmel...

4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Sounds like Atmel to me.

5. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

It's funny how they called 1.6kg arm-busting.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Looks like a battery powered pen. If that's the real pen, it's Atmel more likely than Wacom.

7. simpleatsh

simpleatsh Pen Pal - Newbie

It might very well be the NEW Wacom single-layer digitizer, I know that Wacom has been working on their own single-layer digitizer solution which is basically the same as the NTrig, Atmel or Synaptics. People who tried the Wacom single-layer digitizer reported that the writing experience is on-par with NTrig's offering, and the pen is also using quad-A batteries.

Single-layer digitizer with one control IC for both touch and pen input is the future, the traditional Wacom EMR solution requires a separate digitizer panel added to the display assembly which adds cost, weight and thickness. It's interesting to see the former king of stylus is just playing catch up.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey, hey! New shiny things!

If it's Wacom, then.., man! That 15.6" machine holds a lot of promise. Big, powerful, and lighter than my current 6 lb beast.

If it's.., who? Amtel?

Hm. I provide nearly zero attention when it comes to any new tablets smaller than not-small. Which means virtually every machine minted since the mid 2000's.

Everybody here already seems to know what Amtel is worth, but for my part, I went looking and found this artist's review from a 2013 HP tablet sporting Amtel technology:

Shivae Studios » HP Executive Pen and Atmel Digitizer Review for Artists

Short version: He hated it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    WillAdams likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have the old Envy x2. Bought it on the promise that HP would ship a pen shortly, never came. Now it gathers dust, a pity on an otherwise fine machine. The end result being that I'm not willing to try anything from HP until it's been out a while and the jury is in on its merits.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I am getting that way on everything from all manufacturers. I am getting tired of the hype and that includes where it starts; right at Intel about their new chipsets and Microsoft on what they are changing with Windows (or should I say Window because the new UI is like DOS v6 all over again)....

Bronsky and Kumabjorn like this.