120 seconds between posts

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by leaftye, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Can we get that shortened down? I like to shoot onto this website real quick, but that limit makes it difficult to participate. It's really frustrating when I'm trying to take a short break while doing homework, but it takes at least 4 minutes to post 3 times. I'm sure it's there to help prevent spam, but obviously the spammers have had great success lately (I think I've reported nearly a dozen in the past week), so I doubt the time limit is deterring spammers.

2. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

Same here, and this issue has been discussed before. Yet I believe they still wont give in... In fact I was flipping through some posts really quick and actually had one that told me to wait 80 seconds...

I think bumping it down to a 1 minute delay would be much more satisfactory, and you probobly wouldnt notice an increase in spam. Just dont announce that it was lowered and anyone who isnt being affected by the 2 minute rule wont even notice...

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

What really sucks is that reporting spam restarts the 120 second clock.:mad:

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you find spam don't bother to report it guys.

Rest assured it and the topic the spammer creates does indeed get noticed and ultimately deleted.... including any posts you may make in that topic.

5. chellayh

chellayh Pen Pal - Newbie

I can understand the spam thing, but I do think a 1 minute rule would be more reasonable - still cut down on spam, but not be such an annoyance to legitimate posters. I've just started using the posts a lot, and I've gotten hit with this 4 times today!

6. Nominal

Nominal Engineering Student

Maybe make it so people with over a certain number of posts have a shorter time limit. That would cut spam, but allow for less inconvenience to legitimate posters.

7. Corazu

Corazu Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea I was thinking that. Would be a good idea.

8. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

I agree that there should be a a user group that has a lower post time limit, however this same idea was brought up by Gautam early last year and the post time limit is pretty much universal -- except Moderators and Administrators are exempt. Usually Moderators are exempt in the forum they moderate, Super Moderators and Administrators are all exempt -- when I was a Moderator, I also have bumped into the time limit dozens of times, particularly in the forums I wasn't listed in to moderate. :)

I tried a vBulletin 3.6.8 demo, you can try it out yourself here, and it is exactly what I've said above:
    [​IMG]

---

On a lighter note, I'll recommend to Tiffany, Brian, and the rest of the administration team if they can install this modification that supports per-usergroup flood control. Perhaps those that have over 25-50 posts are promoted to a new usergroup that have a shorter flood control limit. There's no guarantee that it will be implemented, but I do believe that this is a great feature to implement to put keep the spammers subject to the 2 minute time limit and those who are in good standing (usually over 10 good posts) will have a lower post time limit.

9. Nominal

Nominal Engineering Student

Thank you for your consideration. I appreciate the care that you and the rest of the staff put into this site: with administration and how you freely take suggestions on improvements, with moderation and the lighthearted but constructive atmosphere you foster, and of course the valuable insight you provide on all topics Tablet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.