12' vs 14' screen size ?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by nossy, Apr 3, 2006.

1. soulbadguy

soulbadguy Pen Pal - Newbie

ok i am looking for a tablet mainly for taking note in class and read some paper on it.while the 12' form factor increase portability and battery life (i will able to read/work in a bus for a example) i wonder if the extra space of a 14' is not better when taking note in classe or working a home...,also i think i dont really need the tablet to be that small as i am not really a traveller just the subway i take time to time..., but in other hand i will love to be able to read almost anywhere and take note on the go
    so here some question :

-in taking note is a 14' better than a 12' ?
    -is it better to read on a 14' than on a 12'?
    -do the size of an 14' screen is confortable while taking note on the go (say on a subway)

they are some complain about the viewing angle of the tecra, this could be a major concerne.However in the review here they didnt talk about it , and on the toshibadirect.com , the screen is said to be wide-angle-veiw exactly as the M400 and there are no complain about the view angle of the M400. is it possible that toshiba have change the screen of the tecra as the review where they talk about are older that the one on this site?

so i am looking for advice for guys who have use tablet with booth size

thank

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

IMO the portability of the M400 along with its higher res. 12" display is a PERFECT compromise.

Barry

3. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using my 12" screen for a while, and I find it a comfortable size for daily use. I don't notice the size difference until I go back and use my old 15.4" laptop... and then I wonder how could I have ever used something so massive and expansive... very unpractical waste of space... and weight. I agree with Barry, that may be a great compromise!

4. soulbadguy

thank guy
    but the temptation of the 14' tecra is very strong for the same price (a litle cheaper) i have 6600 nvidia in plus... in the oder side i dont really need the super-power of a duo core nor the small form factor of the M400,i think the best idea is to wait for the asus tablet with a 13' and duo core...
    thank

5. nossy

nossy Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you care about battery life, portability, pen input, and smooth operation of multitasking? Than it's the M400. I seriously think if you're looking to portable GAMING laptop you're wasting your time with Tablets, they're design for different group of audience (productivity first). You're better off with a dedicated GAMING laptop from Dell or Alienware.

6. soulbadguy

what u mean by pen input ?
    i am definitly not looking for a gaming laptop (have a destop and an xbox for that) the only thing that i am afraid of is vista that why i have a look in the GPU.the M400 is sure great (at least look great since the are still no reviews) but for what i want to do with my tablet i am sure that a Pentium M is enought, my concerne about the 12" is (i think ) that a 14" have much more space to write on it and since this will be the primary use of the tablet... also the 14" give me more confort when in notebool mode. i think what i need is a 14" tablet with a duo core ... any candidate

7. nossy

nossy Pen Pal - Newbie

There are many folks out there who have tried Vista on the M400 and has some success, although there are still driver issues with the beta builds. The Intel GMA950 graphic chip in the M400 suppose to be aeroglass compliant (Not yet confirmed). I've seen 12" and 14" screen and the writing estate is not that big of a difference (Noticeable but not significant). 14" screen Tablets tend to have lower battery life and are 1-2 lbs heavier. I've used a M4 before and you wouldn't be able to hold it clipboard style for very long, which I disliked.

Since Vista has been delayed until 1Q 2007, most likely any tablet pc you buy NOW will be best running XP Tablet Edition in my opinion. I'm not sure if I want to be an early adopter of Vista as I'm very satisfied with my XP experience. I'll wait until MS release something like a Service Pack 2 in 2008-2009 when I get a new Tablet. Although if you can wait until next year, you'll have better hardware choices for Vista. I believe AMD have announced plans to make Low Voltage Processors for the ultra portable market so you might have more options if you wait 6-12 months from now.

Right now only the m400 has a duo core option in the tablet pc market. If you can wait another 2-4 months, there may be other tablet pcs with 14.1" screens.

Pen input meaning Wacom penabled, I guess?