12 inch or 14 inch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by afinemetsfan, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afinemetsfan

afinemetsfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi y'alll.. So I am getting a tablet for school - Would like to know some opinions to help make my decision easier.

I am pretty much deciding between the m400 and r25

First Here is what I need
    I will be taking notes every day.
    I plan on scannng in papers that I need.
    I would like to be able to study from the screen.
    I will be using mathematica and engineering software like b2spice.

My biggist issue is size vs portability.

Do people have a hard time studying from a small screen(12 inch)?
    Are 14 inch tablets a pain to schlep around campus?

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For pure mobility, go the small screen option.

I use three Fujitsu's, a 12" T4210, a 10.5" P7010 and a 8.9" P1510.
    All three go with me at some point or another..
    I would not have bought any if their screen had been bigger than the 12"

So, no.... I have absolutely no problem working from a small sized screen.

3. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

I made a cutout of the R25 sizes and gound it way too big. It's hard to invision numbers so I recommend making a newspaper cutout to give you an impression of how big it is.

4. Poseidon

Poseidon Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you have the 1400x1050 screen on your Fujitsu? If so do you find it difficult to see?

5. GauteHauk

GauteHauk Pen Pal - Newbie

To get an idea of how big a screen is for the 14.1" WXGA+ format, take a piece of legal sized paper, cut an inch off the width and two inches off the length.

That gives you roughly the size of the screen available. That is, as far as I can figure. Seems pretty small, but big enough to be useful.

Personally, I wouldn't go any smaller, especially with resolution. More resolution is nicer(that is, for me, because I'm using it as an art input device) and that allows better writing accuracy/clarity. Sure, larger image files, but more accurate.

And yes, cut just a half inch off the width of a regular piece of printing paper will also give an idea as to the size of the screen. It's just that I started with legal paper to do my little experiment.

Erk. That is to say, this is for the R25 model tablet, because it has the WXGA+ screen. The Fujitsu is different.

Quoted from Wikipedia: "XGA Extended Graphics Array is an IBM display standard introduced in 1990. XGA-2 added 1024 × 768 support for high color and higher refresh rates, improved performance, and support for 1360 × 1024 in 16 colors (4 bits per pixel). 1024×768 or 640×480 4:3 or 4:3 8 bpp or 16 bpp"

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard

Well, honestly, I can't find the resolution information on the Fujitsu site, so I have no idea what the resolution is, but supposedly it would be 1024x768, otherwise they'd state the resolution, right?

R25 and M7 both have 1440x900 and 14.1", so I'd advise those over the Fuji. But I don't really know how you're intending to use the tablet.

Edito: Just figured out that basically a 1024x768(or anything in the 4:3 ratio that's a 12.1" screen) is 10.8" x 9.4". Nice size, but I still like the idea of the 1440x900(12"x7.5").

6. Fido

A little bit off there. Screen size doesn't determine resolution, nor visa versa.. The only 12.1" tablet I've seen with 1440x1050 support is the Toshiba M400, it has SXGA+ optional for an extra $50.

7. GauteHauk

GauteHauk Pen Pal - Newbie

Never did I say that screen size determined resolution, but screen size DOES, actually. Depending on screen size, the resolution might change.

Example: 12" screen with 1024x768 will have pixels of a certain size.

A 14" screen with 1024x768 will have pixels that are larger, to fill the space, unless the manufacturer is actually making the displayable area 14" but the actual screen smaller, which would basically be lying.

So, yes, screen size affects resolution, insofar that it makes the pixels larger or smaller. My 19" LCD has pixels of 1280x1024, the pixels are a certain size. A monitor of the same size, 19", with 1600x1400 has much smaller pixels. (Well, probably not THAT much smaller, but it can be seen, sometimes pretty easily between models.)

Not to become abrasive, but I just felt I had to comment.

And to amend any misinformation I may have led anyone to believe, no, screen size does not determine resolution directly, it affects how aestheticly pleasing the image will be. A screen made physically larger without giving it a higher resolution will degrade image quality or at the very least mean the user has to be farther from the image for it to negate the pixel inflation effect.

8. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

Basically just like in CRTs dot pitch is super important.

I hate being able to see the individual pixels on my screens. But some people have lower standards and don't care. HIGH PIXEL DENSITY FOR LIFE!

I mean its really not difficult to calculate it. Total pixels / total area.

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not so much as we have lower standards and we don't care....

We simply don't get so uptight about it.

10. Fido

Oh, I was just confused by your edit, Guate:
    It sounded like you meant that all 12" screens had 1024x768. Thanks for the clarification.