11in vs 12in vs....

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by bloodycape, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, it is a bit creaky. Initially I wasn't a big fan of that either, but, once I realized the creakiness allowed for me to open it up in under 2 minutes with an expired credit card I still had in my wallet, I gained a new found appreciation for it =P

Seriously though, the AVN8 isn't going to win any beauty pageants for sure, but it gets the job done (at least for me) better than anything else on the market.

The new Wacom AES and N-Trig pens are definitely to the point were they hold some non-negligible advantages over Wacom EMR, but, at least for me, EMR is still the better compromise. Partly that may be because I've long since trained myself to adjust to the calibration issue by paying attention to the hover cursor position for precision writing rather than the pen tip, and I don't find the need to avoid the far edges of the screen to be a big deal.

On the other hand, the sum total of the increased hover distance, fluid EMR response, a simplified battery free stylus, compatibility across all my devices, pen silos, and the wacom radial menu are more than enough for me to live with the unsightliness of the AVN8... which as I said has grown on me =P

Still, the toshibas look quite nice and look like they are going to be great options for those with different priorities than my own. The Wacom AES pen looks like it is plenty good for many and perhaps better than EMR for some.

bloodycape likes this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I'm only use to the N-Trig version on the TPT so to me EMR vs AES vs N-trig makes no difference to me. I just wish more companies offers 4gb of ram as an option.

3. Allie

Allie Pen Pal - Newbie

You know you want the Toshiba. Just get the 8in or 10in write model and pair it with a Yoga 14 2015. All you then need to do it is take the Write to a trusted shop have tha ram de-soldered install a 4gb ram stick, and bam you are set. Plus this can cost you less than the two options you are looking at.

4. Allie

Allie Pen Pal - Newbie

Meso can you make that same size comparison, but include the Helix 2 and dell Venue Pro 11, and that 13in Fujitsu, but also include weight of the slate please?

5. Mesosphere

I added the requested tablets. Perhaps with enough encouragement I could create thickness and weight bar charts =P

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/11in-vs-12in-vs.65627/#post-428091

It is interesting how little the actual size of the slates vary in comparison to the changes in screen size. Going with a smaller screen seems to buy very little in the way of a smaller device.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    bloodycape likes this.
  6. bloodycape

It's also interesting to note that the Z20t is lighter than both the Helix 2 and x1 1101, which is a bit surprising as the Z20t is a larger device. On the other hand the HP and Lenovo are mil-spec rated if I am not mistaken.

7. Mesosphere

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    bloodycape likes this.
  8. bloodycape

Where did you get the weight for these devices, because HPs site if I am not mistaken says the 1102 is about 1.7lbs and the chart has it looking closer to 2lbs? But, thank you for this. I just now need to wait and see which turns out to have the better battery life and display combo the x2 1101 or Z20t.

9. Mesosphere

Yea, the HP has different weights in the pdf data sheet and in the order page (1.9 vs 1.7). Dunno which is right.

10. bloodycape

I hope it's 1.7lbs, cause I kind of prefer 11.6in size, but then the Z20t swings back with being lighter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.