11" / 12.4" Galaxy Tabs incoming

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Marty, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sammobile reported that new 11" and 12.4" Galaxy Tab models are in development, which may launch as either the Tab "S7" or "S20":

(Sammobile)
    "Samsung’s next flagship tablet is being developed under the SM-T97x and SM-T87x model numbers. We hear that two different sizes are going to be offered in addition to the Wi-Fi and cellular variants. The tablets will feature 12.4-inch and 11-inch displays."

I have to say I loved the overall form factor of the Tab S6:

[​IMG]

But the 10.5" screen at 16:10, felt just a tad narrow to use in portrait. Hopefully, these larger models will more roomy... (extra points if they re-adopt 4:3 like the S3 ;))

Now if only these could dual-boot Android and WOA, I could this being serious competition for the iPad Pro.

DRTigerlilly, djas, WillAdams and 2 others like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I believe this would be verboten as per Google's rules for Android devices though. :(

3. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Been waiting for years for a bigger Samsung tab. All the happier as Krita is coming along on Android very nicely.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Marty

Ah yes, Google and MS' infamous strategy, wherein they would rather flush their entire mobile tablet divisions down the toilet, than cede an inch of control over their OS.

But maybe there's hope...MS and Google cooperating on the Duo, might open the door for Windows and Android to embrace in other ways? Pretty please. :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apple has been trying to differentiate the iPads from the iPhone, so there could be justification for having an iPhone and a 12" iPad. Android tablets and phones on the other hand, are still exactly the same. So, apart from artists taking advantage of the larger screen and the spen, I don't see any other justification for toting around a 12" phone.
    Sorry for the rant, I acknowledge it doesn't add any useful information to the discussion.

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not so much for toting around....but I knew a few people who had
    the 12 inch Galaxy Note Tablet (Or the non-note equivalent).....in 3 specific instances.....they were attached to stands and used as Kitchen Tablets....that were kept in the kitchen and used for recipe videos, or to play movies/music during cooking. I was always surprised by how somewhat frequently I encounter this. Maybe it’s just a Jersey thing.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Marty

You know, even though you're totally right, and I know finding tablet-optimized apps on Android is like trying to ring out a dry towel...

Somehow, I still want one. :)

I mean the delicious OLED screen paired with buttery EMR, who can say no? And there's always the dream that one day, one of these XDA projects will get off the ground.

Hardware-wise, this thing is refined. In many ways, the Galaxy Tab line mirrors how the original iPad gradually transformed from a clunky brick, into the svelte siren currently calling to all tablet PC owners.

The app situation is terrible to be sure, but that's not the fault of Samsung, imo. They had the right idea since the Ativ Q, but humstrung by MS/Google, they still tried to build out Dex...alas, to little effect.

With so little market interest for Android tablets, it really has been a labour of love for Samsung to stick with Galaxy Tabs over so many generations. They give love to tablets, so we gotta give a little love back, right? ;)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Tams, desertlap and nnthemperor like this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And there must be more in it for them over Windows or I can't see why that much less love for latter.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

9. Marty

We got ourselves an angel hacker; Evsio0n just successfully loaded WOA onto the Galaxy S8: :)

(Windows Latest)
    "Today, one of the lead developers Evsio0n told us that a significant milestone has been achieved and you’ll be able to run Windows 10 on smartphones with Snapdragon 835 processor.

A memory leak bug in Windows 10 ARM project for Snapdragon 835 has been fixed, which will finally allow users to install the OS on many flagships.

...Another dev from Spain claims that Xiaomi Mi6 can now also run Windows 10 on ARM after these latest updates."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So it looks like the "Galaxy Book 3" may indeed be coming after all. ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had (still have but don't use) The tab pro 12.2. For it's time it was awesome including the Spen. And it predated the iPad Pro 12.9 by a few years.

I was hoping that the Galaxy Chromebook would possibly be it's spiritual successor, but alas :(