10240 / RTM

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hmm, I never realized the feedback was region locked, but it makes sense now that I think about it... I've never seen anything but English in the app.

2. jhoff80

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Lisa Gade made a pretty good video overview of RTM.

Nothing new for you experienced insiders, but for people looking for quick summary about the state of W10 on a tablet, this is it. :)

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks. Very much needed now that, sadly, they've closed it up "as is." There is so much I don't like about it that it's much easier for me to comment only on the things I like about it (vs. 8.1):

1) Faster than 8.1 - or so it has been said to be. If true and meaningfully faster (I don't sense it, so need to have one of our "pros" confirm or see benchmarks), that would be a good thing.

2) See #1, above

And it didn't disappoint, unfortunately. Would that it didn't merit so many "scathes!" :confused:

Not to worry; very hard to read your piece and get you wrong - unfortunately ;):mad:.

Is there a reason in the world that a person would need to leave the rather comfy and efficient world of W8.1? Is there reason to even give it another thought?

I find it astounding that MS bungled so many new OS launches in its brief, 40-year history. Once again, easier to just cite the few that weren't bungled:

MS-DOS (1975)
    XP (2001)
    W7 (2009)
    W8.1 (2014 - note, this too was a "bungled launch," - the criterion I set for, well, not being on this list - but the product was/is, IMHO, spot on.

As a barely above-average skill user, I don't need that much from an OS. Merely a logical, efficient means for getting around a computer, optimized for latest hardware capabilities (and supported by decent SDKs), and no crashing/freezing please. Also, don't make it different for the sake of being different and don't make me have to learn more than I really need to in order to make the switch and get all the under-hood goodies that let me say "gee whiz" every now and then. Really distressing that over 40 years they only managed to put a smile on my face with: XP, W7, and belatedly, W8.1.

I don't want 10!!! I don't want 10!!! I don't want 10!!! :vbmad::vbmad::vbmad:

jhoff80 likes this.
  5. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

is this the final version or will we be getting a new one on July 29th? just curious since I was going to opt out of the insider program once the final version was on my S3.... thanks

6. jhoff80

Another thing that strikes me as more and more ridiculous the more I use it is Edge. Rendering on it seems great and all, but this is clearly an unfinished browser. It's missing a ton of basic functionality; last night I tried to save an MP3 and it was literally impossible to do so. It only would stream it. Most browsers have the right click "save as" functionality, but Edge does not.

There are so many situations like this where it is impossible to do what you want to do in Edge that I can't believe they're pinning their rebranding on this at the moment. Users aren't going to wait around for Edge to get better. They'll use it once, get frustrated, and switch to their preferred Chrome or Firefox. Once they rebrand to Edge and everyone hates it, how do they recover from that? Another rebranding once Edge is actually complete?

It seems pretty clear to me right now that they should have waited on releasing Edge. Set IE to default, and keep working on Edge internally, but not actually release it until they had some chance of actually retaining users with it. I mean, they already had the new engine working in IE11 anyway. If they were so dead set on this July 29 date (which again, feels like a mistake in general), they could have launched with IE12 and then transitioned to Edge only when it was ready.

7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was just thinking that, that edge sucked (won't even launch with ad-blocking or any kid of add ins)... and Win 10 feels rushed. I know how some people complain about win 8.1, but I really liked it...... win 10 there are a few things that I like, but the list of what I hate is way bigger. its sad to see a OS take steps in the wrong direction.... but only time will tell in the future what happens.

8. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just echoing, it does feel like someone at Microsoft woke up midway through development of Win10 and decided, "Whoa, we need to get this out, and with a new browser, a quarter earlier than we had planned and intended; but we're big and Microsoft and we can throw more resources at this and get it done!"

Unfortunately, that leads to less than fully-baked realizations, exactly what Microsoft was aiming to avoid with Win 10, after having committed that sin with Win8 . . . .

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

10. jhoff80

I would also love to know who can tell which of these options are which. There are three choices: disabled, toggled off, or toggled on.

Screenshot (4).png

More importantly, why would Microsoft allow color selections that make it so difficult? (And it's not like this should be news to them, it's been reported many times over the past 7-10 months).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.