10158 - Released

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jnjroach, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

surfaceproartist likes this.
  2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Let me know how it goes on you S3 (non pro version) was thinking of jumping the gun early and put this on it before July 29th. (I am a sucker and can't wait for things)

3. chevypad

chevypad Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems very fluid and functional on the DV8P, less buggy by far. App switching is smoother. 8.1 app functionality and app-bar access is better. The font-size on the command prompt is much larger - it's the only traditional "app" I run right now, but it functions identical to a "Modern" app.

There's a bug with the Notification Center not showing Quick Actions when I open it (closing it and reopening will bring them up).
    The first time I let the PC go to sleep with the setting for "Turn off WiFi while asleep when on battery" resulted in the WiFi to simply not turn back on. I uninstalled the driver and am trying to see if I can reproduce that error again.

Battery usage seems more in line with 8.1 while in use, and it's too early to gauge Connected Standby - but the first 1 hour sleep study did not show the LockApp nor Edge causing problems like my last build.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Pretty stable, and I think desktop and laptop users will be mostly happy (despite some glaring design flaws there as well - like for example there are theme colors that you can select that don't actually show any difference between enabled and disabled on Action Center).

Tablet mode is still terrible though.

5. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy considering its releasing in a month and lots of people have surface and want tablet mode and desktop mode to work well. Lets face it that was a promise of win 10 so they need to deliver that.

6. chevypad

chevypad Pen Pal - Newbie

Personally I enjoy tablet mode.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

To be fair, I've been pessimistic on Windows 10 in tablet mode from the start, so maybe you can take it with a grain of salt. That being said, in my opinion there's only a single improvement for tablets - desktop apps are now treated the same way as Metro apps, in the same app switcher and the same drag-to-close, etc.

Pretty much every other aspect of Windows 10 (start screen, taskbar, Action Center vs charms, app switcher, the Onedrive situation, the Skype situation, etc. - I'd probably be beating a dead horse to go into every single aspect yet again) are all drastic steps backwards. And as I alluded to above, there are major design inconsistencies all throughout that affect both tablet and desktop too.

And sadly, I love the majority of the technology changes going into 10. It's just the UI that feels like a mess. I mean, I've said this all along, but 10 feels similar to 7, Vista, and XP: They tried to tack on tablet functionality to make it sort of acceptable. In comparison, 8 and 8.1 were designed from the start to work well on a tablet.

Edit: Also, as an FYI, apparently 10159 will be released today to the fast ring, with 'over 300 fixes' from the previous build.

8. arlenan

arlenan Pen Pal - Newbie

This downloaded but did not install on my Surface Pro 3