10130 is available for PC's

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jnjroach, May 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, much better here too. I've had issues with the Notifications area not opening up when I side swipe. I had to go into Settings and fiddle around in there to get them to show up again. I also had issues when I resized tiles to the new largest setting. The tile didn't resize and I couldn't resize it again until I rebooted.

I don't like the persistent taskbar. It forces me to go into into windowed mode when I reach the bottom of the screen (as just happened as I was typing this message).

I also don't like the wasted space between the tile columns on the Start Screen and the All Apps button shouldn't be located by the Power button, which shouldn't be located where it is. I much prefer the 8.1 power button placement.

The Alphanumeric filter for All Applications is much appreciated.

They seem to have corrected the painting issues with Edge. I wish they'd bring back some clearer corner handles for resizing windows and the address bar really needs to have greater contrast.

All of these observations are on a Surface Pro 3.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I find this build to be far worse.

Terribly buggy (worse so than the unreleased 10125 and the fast ring 10122). Apps which should be getting better (like Spartan) are getting worse and buggier. In addition to its keyboard shortcuts working less reliably than ever, Spartan crashes all the time (and in the process loses my cookies too). Windows 8.x apps are completely broken in tablet mode (including accessing charms/app commands and drag to close). The start menu still crashes all the time when rearranging tiles, but now the icons (for resizing, etc.) don't show properly. And they've removed the feedback in certain places (like the start screen) for press and hold right click.

Bluetooth headsets? Broken again (stereo - no mic - only, and when trying to go into device properties to make it work, COM surrogate crashes). Certain privacy options? Broken. (In 10122, there were two different places to let apps access account info such as your picture, and they removed one in 10130. Except they apparently removed the only one that worked, as the setting is off no matter what now). Auto-hide the taskbar? Broken.

And some of the few nice things are being removed for no reason - like how they removed the time to full charge and estimated time remaining from the battery flyout.

I mean, even ignoring my disdain for the tablet mode changes and design, this is coming out in July. This stuff should be getting cleaned up, not getting worse.

On the plus side though, they got rid of the terrible 3D cube live tile animation.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  4. surfaceproartist

@jhoff80 what device are you using for testing? I find it extremely worrisome that users can get such wildly varying results.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Are you flighting or doing clean installs? I'm not experiencing the crashing of the Start Menu, Project Spartan had the registry permission issue like the last build but that was easy to fix, bugged it as well.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm using my Surface Pro 2. This was an upgrade directly from 8.1. I converted my .esd file to an .iso, then restored my 8.1 backup, updated that with the May updates, and upgraded directly to 10130 from that. I didn't want to upgrade directly from an unreleased build (and plus I was hoping someone at Microsoft came to their senses about how terrible a 3 medium tile-wide arrangement is).

For the start menu crashing, it happens most frequently when I rearrange tiles via touch. Eventually, the tile will get stuck in place, and if I don't hit the Esc key soon enough to revert the tile to its original position, it crashes the start menu entirely. But the start menu still isn't even reliable in general just by clicking / tapping on the button in the corner. It's getting better, but sometimes it just doesn't do anything.

7. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having the same issue with the notification area not opening from a click on the icon or swiping from the side. Then I opened Spartan and it worked... but only once. I can't get it to work again (notif. area).

I agree with the All Apps and Power icons shouldn't be next to each other. I did like the Power being in the top right corner of the Start (above the tiles) two versions ago.

Also -- do you get a memory reference error when you go to reboot or shutdown? I only started getting that with 10130 and all prior worked fine (upgrade and clean install both do all of these issues above).

8. surfaceproartist

@cliffr39 Try turning the notification icons on and off in settings. It seems to have a mind of its own but eventually works. I'm also getting memory error messages when I shut down or reboot.

9. surfaceproartist

I've seen the bugginess in the tile rearrangement. Have you run all your Windows updates? Maybe you inadvertently skipped some going from 8.1 directly to 10130?

10. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. Turning it off / on didn't do it, but changing the 4 icons for it did.
    Glad I'm not the only with the memory error, started to fear bad RAM ;)
    Does your screen go to sleep or brightness change? Mine just goes black, but backlight stays on at max. Did that in 074 and was fixed for me in 122, but back again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.