Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Win8.1 is fine, but being able to set reminders with Cortana, getting back Start Menu jump lists, being able to use WinMail in a windowed version, and getting some eyeball friendly transparency effects all are pretty appealing to me. And being able to use CTRL-V in the command prompt, let's not forget that! :)

I'm pretty happy with mine too, but out of the long list of features and tweaks I do look forward to the improved settings menu, dictation anywhere, local file search, being able to attach any file to emails, and smart dialing like in Windows Mobile 6.5.

And personally, but I realize this is not for everyone: to me bluetooth keyboard and mouse support are exciting. I like the idea of sticking the new MS bluetooth keyboard in Mesosphere-sized cargo pants and being able to do serious editing in a full-featured Word app on my 1520 in a pinch.

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I get your point but its as I said, none of these things is anything I need or want. Already have Cortana on my phone and long ago made peace with the inability to attach docs to emails and just use my tablet. When I factor in all things I would be losing, like the current OneDrive sync, decent tablet mode, Modern design, and on my phone good one handed usage (even on my 6" 1520) the upgrade just doesn't seem worth it to me.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm actually much happier with the phone version of the OS myself... if they get the performance up to par by launch that is. I've said it before but to me the difference between phone and PC is that on the phone version, the apps feel like they need to be improved. On the PC version, the entire OS design needs to be rethought. I'm much more confident the former will happen than the latter.

The way it is now, I suspect that my main phone (a Lumia 1020) will be running Windows 10 at launch, and my Surface Pro 2 will be running Windows 8.1 for the foreseeable future.

4. jhoff80

10125 leaked this weekend too. A little more stable than 10122 in my opinion. The big addition there for tablets is the taskbar back button when tablet mode is enabled. You can also now customize the extra stuff in the start menu... but unfortunately still can't remove the power button from it. They also remove the arrow to show more system tray icons when tablet mode is enabled.

5. jhoff80

Also, all this wasted space (unchanged from 10122 to 10125) is nearly as ridiculous as the original sidebar was in the first place.

Attached Files:

surfaceproartist likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm a bit confused. Will there be any compunction to upgrade to W10 anytime soon? Count me who finds the things lost more important than the things gained, based pretty much solely on what has been reported here.

As an aside, I have come to really mistrust OS updates and upgrades, at least with Windows and Android. The former is addressed here. Regarding Android, I just don't think system-wide upgrades are possible given the huge variety of hardware and carrier systems out there. My last two Nexus 7 Lollipop upgrades have each been worse than the last; ditto with my GN4. Sometimes "progress" for its own sake is a regression when it comes to the efficient use of technology.

Also, count me as one who never hated W8.1 and adopted to it extremely quickly by never using it without Start8 and booting into desktop. Never understood the big deal so many people made of how "bad" W8.1 is, when to me it just behaves like a faster W7 with some added features and a few apps that run better under "metro," while mostly I just run it as a desktop OS without a glitch. For that matter, I'm actually lamenting the loss of the Charms Bar. I find it an extremely convenient way to get to things that I otherwise had to develop shortcuts for or go through additional steps via Windows Control Panel. I feel like my experience is exactly opposite that of those about whose I read the most. Is it me?

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have to admit that I too have slowly come to appreciate the Charms Bar as well. I took me a while to realize that it is actually aware of what options the user should be presented with in different situations. I think the new Notification Area is downgrade.

8. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's even worse in landscape mode. On my Yoga 3 Pro, the column of start tiles is only four small tiles in width, set bang in the middles of acres of wasted screen space.

I hate the forced vertical scrolling in landscape mode as well. You would think that it would be more ergonomic to set the scrolling direction along the longest dimension (horizontal in landscape, vertical in portrait), but this doesn't seem to have occurred to Microsoft.

Oh, and I miss the Charms bar as well.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I have to say, flicking up/down while holding a tablet by its sides feels more natural to me than pushing left/right. You also expose more screen area per swiped inch, at a ratio of roughly 16:9. :) One vote for up/down here. Plus the link to the scroll wheel is more intuitive.

I actually hope that this newfound love for vertical scrolling will translate to the many Metro news apps. Using those in landscape and having to scroll horizontally makes them feel a bit claustrophobic to me. I do realize that others may love the horizontal scroll, but personally I favor vertical.

Of course I agree that they should fit many more tiles on the screen, the wasted space is just silly.

10. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I turn a book's pages right to left, rather than up/down, so horizontal scrolling has always felt more natural to me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.