Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Had some trouble upgrading to this build. Wouldn't work as a normal update, so I restored my Windows 8.1 backup and used a manually created ISO of the new build to update.

First thing to mention... if your start menu isn't loading as mine wasn't for a very long time.... wait a while. Windows is doing its app setup in the background, and once that's done you should be fine. Secondly, Microsoft is doing three (medium) columns of tiles per group in this build if its your first Windows 10 install (previous builds were four). 3 columns is absolutely terrible. With wide and large tiles taking up two of the three columns, it is impossible to get an aesthetically pleasing layout anymore. Finally, as I expected.... getting rid of that left column of apps in tablet mode IS an improvement. Having to tap on a small button to show all apps, and still have that all apps section take up only the column width? That's terrible. (And that's not even getting into how it now takes an extra tap from the last build because of the 'hamburger' menu button you have to tap to show the panel in the first place).

2. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Ha ha, i had the same problem with the upgrading. But via an created ISO it did work for me in the end.

What i like about the build so far is, that the Pen option finally works for the Dell Venue 8 Pro. You can now activate or deactivate the hover option which is pretty nice.

I like the "new" startscreen, but I agree the 3 columns thing is not so good, especially if you choose 100% in the DPI settings. Also everytime I close an app i get the search bar above the startscreen and cant use it.

But overall i think its getting slowly better. Not as good as Windows 8 was on a tablet, but its getting better. I'd love to have a swipe up option to get the app apps view and i would like to have the powerbutton in the top right corner especially when you use the startscreen not the menu.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

There is a bug preventing 10122 from installing on the majority of the SP3, it installed fine on my Dell Venue Pro 8 though....

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There's a workaround now for the install issue. From an admin command prompt, run:

rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

It'll clean up your unused drivers and that should let the build install.

That being said, I'm (surprise surprise) not at all impressed with this build. Don't get me wrong, I obviously see all the hard work they're putting in and there are a ton of changes from build to build... but it never feels like they're getting any closer to a decent release. It all feels like lateral movement, and not at all like something that is coming together near the end of the process.

I mean, for example, the install process should be rock solid by now, considering we're only a few months from launch. But no, in addition to problems with upgrading that have existed from the beginning (they're not properly migrating all drivers from Windows.old, meaning you can't fully clean that up after the upgrades)... they run into bigger issues like the problem with too many inf files to migrate which is apparently causing this one. Honestly, the fact that there are so many upgrade issues STILL is really concerning for when they unleash this into the world, onto millions of computers running Windows.

My newest pet peeve though? If you try to connect to a second monitor while in tablet mode, tablet mode automatically is turned off for the duration of that connection.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I was one of the early tester with this work around, I was able to get it installed. I see the direction they're headed and from a pure use case I understand the desktop mode while connected to an external monitor. I do agree there is much work to do for tablets but it is getting there....

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This build is godawful. Windows 10 is being built by a committee of several million and it shows. The pure Windows 8.x environment had its issues, but desktop was relatively consistent. Now the Win 10 desktop has significantly deteriorated and tablet mode is almost unusable. This video offers a good look at many of the design inconsistencies:

efjay, JoeS and jhoff80 like this.
  7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Really starting to think I should double up on my Windows 8 devices so I can stay off Windows 10 for as long as possible.......

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I've never been able to stick to such pledges. The lure of the new and shiny is too strong! Thankfully I just went back to a convertible (TPYoga), so the tablet friendliness is less of a concern for me. That doesn't stop me from being frustrated with MS though for breaking tablet mode. :mad:

bloodycape likes this.
  9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm worried that Microsoft is hell-bent on getting everyone on a unified platform, so ignoring Windows 10 will not be as easy as it was for XP and Windows 7 users to resist migrating to 8. I've already migrated my Surface Pro 1 and one Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10. I'll probably migrate one desktop to it before the final release. But unless it improves dramatically soon, all my remaining devices will stay at 8.1. It's our turn to be Luddites! ;-)

10. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I'm a casual user, a casual tablet user to be precise, my home computing needs are 99.99% consumer focused so for me there's nothing in Windows 10 I need or want. I like having a Windows device because it allows me to do anything I want how I want it so even though I'm not a power user only Windows will work for me.

As long as the basic functions of the OS continue to work, security updates are released and the few apps I use are still available I will be fine sticking with Windows 8. I currently have a WHS 2011 and that has been officially retired for some years now but still works so I am ok not running the latest and greatest OS version.

Same applies to the phone, my 1520 does all I need and from what I've seen I wont gain anything substantial by upgrading that to Windows 10. Plus I honestly don't care for the new Microsoft direction to discard all the positive aspects of Windows 8.1/WP8.1 solely to appeal to Windows 7 and ios/android users. Completely thrown out the baby with the bathwater and regressed in so many ways from the innovative thinking that went into Metro. Not our fault they failed to advertise it or develop the OS in a timely fashion so developers could support it.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.