10051 for phones

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

In case anyone doesn't know this yet, the newer phone preview is out, for far more devices too.

Personally, I loaded up the new preview for phones on a 920 and a Lumia 635 yesterday (and not my main device, a Lumia 1020 - I don't recommend putting it on your primary phone)... and it's a huge leap ahead of the earlier preview for the Lumia 635.

Outlook Mail is missing some major stuff (unified inbox, for example), but it's a huge step ahead of the old Mail app in most aspects. Messaging and People need some work (though those are considered beta and alpha versions respectively), but I do mostly like the direction they're going. The new Maps app is excellent. I'm so glad to have one unified mapping app instead of the Maps/Here Maps/Here Drive/Here Transit cluster**** that we had previously.

It's funny, because while I greatly prefer Windows 8.1 to Windows Phone 8.1, I feel more confident that Windows 10 for phones is headed in the right direction compared to (full) Windows 10 on a tablet.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Does the new app support landscape view for the map component? Trying to search for places in my car with the phone mounted in landscape is a huge pain with WP8.1.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It does. I think the 'driving directions' UI needs some work still (someone needs to buy a decade old TomTom to see what a good simple driving UI looks like), but it's still a huge improvement.

Attached Files:

JoeS likes this.