10041 released to Insiders

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I currently am on 8.1 again until I do a full backup this evening, but is out today.

...And it looks like some pen users might be even more unhappy with the TIP now:

[​IMG]

So apparently they got rid of the helpful tab, arrows, and number keys there, and made it even smaller (one line instead of two).

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Liked for keeping us up to date, not for the content of the message..

On a positive note: it might be hell to use, but it looks really nice! :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Installing now...66%

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

My install got stuck at 14% overall, 45% of stage 2. Currently enjoying some circling dots and the words "restoring your previous version of windows". Thankfully it's only a VM install.

5. jhoff80

One really annoying thing I ran into is that there is no way that I can see to choose the fast ring if you're upgrading from 8.1. So I had to update from 8.1 to 9926 (including the 3GB download), and then had to update again from 9926 to 10041.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Good news many improvements with touch, the touch keyboard is much improved one specifically is you can move it around. MWDA adapter is working again so is auto-rotation and it is resuming from Connected Standby.

7. jhoff80

I'm sure it's shocking, but I'm not at all a fan of this build either. First of all, I can't even scroll down past 'F' in my all apps list without the entire start menu crashing. Hey Cortana is enabling itself seemingly at its own whim (despite doing the voice training steps).

The new TIP is terrible. Pen strokes are way too thick, and it no longer scrolls inside that box, so you can only write a few words at a time.

The fullscreen start screen is terrible, especially the way it handles all apps... but it's just messy with the shortcuts on the left in general. (I'm ignoring the transparency thing because that's a bug). Moving multiple tiles around is terrible (no more multi-select, and once you have moved one tile you then have to press and hold on the next one again, making it consume far more time). The little button to change the tile size is too small of a target, especially on a small tile. (AND WHY DO I HAVE TO PRESS AND HOLD AND THEN PRESS A BUTTON TO CHANGE THESE THINGS?!)

Plus, all of my complaints from previous builds still exist too. It's like every build is making my experience worse.

8. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've spent the last 24 hours trying to install 10041 on a Yoga 3 Pro, without any success whatsoever. Windows Update has been complaining about Intel Graphics drivers, Realtek Audio drivers; it's been installing the same Windows Defender definition files multiple times, refusing to let me even know of the existence of 10041, despite the fact that I've elected to receive Fast builds... I've reinstalled 8.1 and build 9926 twice now, and got no further forward.

Frankly, at this point I feel like hurling the Y3Pro through the window, and giving Microsoft the finger. And I don't even believe that Windows 10 will be worth all this trouble.

9. jhoff80

10. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member