10 Steps to get RTM Vista working Today

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by justauser, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamb78

adamb78 Pen Pal - Newbie

Installing Vista on a Fujitsu Lifebook T4215

I know there is a sticky in this forum but it is kind of long for someone who just wants a list of what they need to do to get Vista working today. I just finished installing Vista x32 Ultimate and thought I'd save other people some time.

I just did this myself, so here are the steps (all drivers are Vista x32---I don't recommend x64 as many things don't run under it yet):
    1. Back up anything important.
    2. Install Vista; choose Customize on the install options and do a Clean Install. It will show you various partitions. I recommend deleting all the partitions and just having one large NTFS partitition for Vista.
    3. Do WindowsUpdate; some drivers will install (I think the modem maybe).

Drivers (I recommend this order, and rebooting after each is loaded):
    I have used Tiny URL to make manageable links so don't be scared.
    4. Intel chipset driver.
    5. Intel video driver.
    6. Intel storage driver.
    7. Intel/Sigmatel 922x sound driver. Please note that with this driver, the built-in speakers on the laptop will not work. However other sound drivers either do not allow you to have a working headphone jack or also disable the pen functionality.
    8. Synaptics TouchPad driver. I recommend going into the touchpad properties and disabling Tapping.
    9. Toshiba Bluetooth Stack.
    10. Fujitsu Button Utility.

After all this, Vista should work fine and everything should be working, with the following exceptions:
    * The screen will not automatically change orientation when you rotate it.
    * The hotkeys on the keyboard will not work (Fn + stuff). You could try the Fujitsu driver for this but personally I don't use the Fn key combos.
    * There is annoying Synaptics popup when you log in; probably you can get rid of it with HijackThis and your touchpad will still work.
    * The fingerprinter reader won't work. Windows has a driver for the hardware, but the software that actually handles fingerprint registration does not work in Vista yet.

Hope that helps and saves some people time! If anyone sees any incorrect info or has an update, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

Thanks for the information, it will be helpful to many users who want to upgrade.

3. Xtian

Xtian Pen Pal - Newbie

hmm... a few things that worked for me.... in more detail and descriptiveness. (T4210)

1) Things that WINDOWS UPDATE takes care of (aka, no need to install these drivers separately)
    - Fujitsu Button Driver
    - O2Micro SD/MMC,
    - O2Micro MS/MSPRO,
    - O2Micro Smartcard Reader drivers

2) To get the Fn+ Buttons working just install the Fujitsu Button Utility WITHOUT installing the Button Driver (the Vista Update Button Driver makes the utility work)
    - I find the Fn+ keys VERY useful, my set-up below.
    - Fn+A (press) for Sound On/Off,
    - Fn+A (HOLD) to start one of my programs (sketchbook pro),
    - Fn+B (press) turn off screen,
    - Fn+B (HOLD) PAUSE/START (for music or whatever)
    - you'll get the irreplaceable Screen Rotate button to work.
    - by holding down the (ALT) button, you get the Ctrl-Alt-Delete function.

2.5) to get the Keyboard Fn+ installing the Hotkey Driver from the Fujitsu CD worked for me without problems.

3) To get the Fujitsu Auto-rotate to stop giving you errors, the best thing is to just find the file in question and delete it.
    - it still won't auto rotate but it won't annoy you anymore.
    - don't worry, fujitsu will come up with the real drivers later.

4) The Vista Sound drivers are fine, as long as you don't have to use the headphone jack. There will be no conflict with the Vista Pen driver.
    - installing the Sigmatel Driver that came with the Fujitsu CD will make the pen die. Go with the post mentioned above, regarding the sigmatel driver i guess (haven't tested it myself but i'll take his word for it :D )
    - some people are having trouble with the sound/pen conflict, I'm not sure how they got there, my only problem was when I had installed the Sound drivers from the Fujitsu CD, and an uninstall worked for me... ask the others.

5) if you want Dual-Button Pen functionality, download the Wacom Vista Penabled (TabletPC) Drivers from Wacom Europe (not available in the US site) and you'll get to use the 2 side switches any way you want.

6) hmm... Tapping on my touchpad works fine. You have problems with it? I'm using the regular Tablet XP driver from the Fujitsu CD and no problems, and no annoying pop-ups neither.

*Bluetooth note, I tried it, and it works fine, but I don't like having TOSHIBA splattered all over the Bluetooth Stack Program... so I uninstalled it. It worked fine but I can wait a little to use my bluetooth headset.

4. adamb78

adamb78 Pen Pal - Newbie

@Xtian

1. Yep; I mis-typed in my initial post (now corrected). I meant install the Button Utility (the tinyurl should point to that).
    2. But to clarify, the regular Fn keys (Fn + F3, etc) do not work for you?
    3. Can you provide a URL for the driver needed to get Auto-Rotate to work? I didn't see it explicitly on Fujitsu's site. Or is it on the CD?
    4. Another problem with the built-in Vista drivers is that your microphone (internal or plug) won't work. Did you find that to be the case?
    5. Right now, my Dual Pen functionality is working to the extent that it right-clicks with one button and erases with the other (in addition to the back eraser). What have you assigned to your side buttons (just curious)?

5. Xtian

Xtian Pen Pal - Newbie

- my Keyboard Fn+ keys work fine... I thought you said your Fn+ Buttons didn't work. They both work for me.
    - The auto-rotate still doesn't work, I just got rid of the ERROR message whenever you rotate the screen.
    - I have my bottom side-switch set to Right Click (without tapping the tip, just press the switch and it is a right click) I have my upper side-switch set to CTRL-Z (the Undo key) which I use profusely when writing/drawing. If I make a mistake on Onenote/Journal/Sketchbook/etc I just press the upper side-switch and a previous stroke goes away every time I press it. I REALLY need this as sketching without an UNDO key is just madness in Tablet Mode.
    - never used the microphone so no problem there lol

6. justauser

justauser Scribbler - Standard Member

I have used the base Sigmatel sound driver and the headphone jack worked for me. I tried the Wacom driver but it conflicted with the sound and I needed sound more than the extra pen funcitonality.

I have tried installing the button utility and I can not get the button on the tablet to work at all. I can't seem to get the Fujitsu button driver to uninstall, as some have recommended. Seems to uninstall but it is still there after the uninstall in the Programs list.

I don't have the keyboard FN+Fx keys working at all in Vista. I'd like to have the ALT button and the A and B button capability.

I installed the beta Toshiba bluetooth stuff. It seems to work, however, it doesn't show the PC as an activesync provider. That means I can't sync over bluetooth which is what I need. I suspect it is a problem with the support for sync in general, since when I plug the Windows Mobile device in via USB it doesn't automatically sync and I have looked at all the setting and think they are correct.

BTW, I did an upgrade from XP.

7. Xtian

Xtian Pen Pal - Newbie

hmm... maybe it's the Upgrade from XP issue. I did a clean install. I backup everything through my network on another computer first so it was no problem with losing data.

1) have you tried to use Windows Update to update the Optional Fujitsu Button Driver?
    2) have you installed the Fujitsu Button Utility?
    3) have you installed the Fujitsu Hotkey Driver?
    4) maybe go to the registry and manually delete any reference to the Fujitsu Button Driver?
    5) maybe boot in Safe Mode and delete the Fujitsu Drivers from computer?

i guess the problem is the Fujitsu Button Driver. I remember not being able to use the buttons. I knew things weren't going to work perfectly so I clean installed the first time to play around with driver installs, then once I figured everything out, instead of trying to uninstall the drivers I actually did ANOTHER clean install a few days later. Call me anal but I never trust the Windows Registry to completely wipe out everything.

8. justauser

I installed and reinstalled the Button driver. I've run Windows update and it doesn't update the driver. Also installed the button utilities. Hadn't re-installed the hotkey driver. Will give that a try and will try the safe mode stuff. Thanks

9. justauser

OK, made some progress. I went to the device manager and uninstalled the button stuff. Restarted, it downloaded from Windows update and now I have the buttons running from the tablet screen. Note that I do not have button utilities installed.

I also removed and reinstalled the hotkey stuff. I get a message about compatibility when I reboot and say run. The on screen indicator displays for the volume keys, but the volume indicated is wrong. The keys work for volume. They don't work for brightness. Did you set compatibility mode for this software or any of the others?

I still get the fuj02b1 issue. Windows sees it and can't find a driver. I'd remvoed the driver. Before I removed the driver it used to just be blocked. Anyone know what this is / does?

10. adamb78

adamb78 Pen Pal - Newbie

1. For some reason before only the Fn on the "Slate" part was working. Now the keyboard Fn key works too. Maybe I just forgot to reboot after something.
    2. Ah OK; I never had the error message...not sure what you installed that gave that message.
    3. Sounds like a good idea...thx.
    4. Actually it just looks like the mic's work with my driver; they don't actually. I think if you hacked the registry entries for the sound card you could get it to work. When you plug in a mic it thinks you plugged in a Right Speaker or something, and I am pretty sure those mappings are in the Sigmatel registry keys though they may be hard to decipher. If you could, though, you could probably also get the onboard mics and speakers to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.