10.2 iPad vs 10.2 iPad Air October 2019

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by doobiedoobiedum, Sep 19, 2019.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Without much fuss, Apple UK store has the 2019 iPad on pre-order from 30 Sept and it's now 10.2 inches but this brings it right up against the iPad Air at 10.5 inches.

10X bionic vs 12x bionic chip and a few other small differences but they are both tied to the 1st Gen Apple Pencil. Both now ready to use iPadOS and for me (well my partner at least - she's not a big user of power apps like Photoshop etc) the iPad has become a very compelling purchase.

£100+ price difference though for the Air model.. is the current Air worth the extra cash?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Apart from the speed difference of the CPU (which may not be all that noticeable in daily use) the other big difference is the laminated display on the Air. It might be worth comparing them in the store to see how much of a difference it makes.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Air supports the P3 color gamut and the new iPad only SRGB. Not a huge difference but if you edit a lot of photos it can make a difference is some cases (typically significantly under or overexposed shots)

The lamination does two things. One, it makes the screen less reflective, though its only really noticeable in sunlight or extreme lighting situations such as a single bright overhead light.

Two, what most of our customers have noticed when typing on the screen or using the pen is the non laminated has a somewhat hollow feel. Especially when typing the "thunk" can be annoying.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Reading the spec sheet, the new 10.2” IPad 2019 is just the innards of the iPad 2018 putting into a case with slightly larger screen. You should either try to find the slightly smaller 9.7” with the same spec 2018 iPad at 249$ (should still be available somewhere) or the already much better spec iPad Air.

As owner of a 6th gen iPad, I wouldn’t upgrade unless it’s to Air or Pro model. If this is your first iPad though, picking up the new iPad would make sense if you find a good deal and can’t buy the 2018 version for much cheaper price.

doobiedoobiedum and JoeS like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

It's not so much for me (it's for the family) however there are two Apps on the iPad that I would absolutely use and buy the Apple pencil for: we have the 2017 non-pencil iPad model so it's not our first.
    I suppose the main use case in the family is surfing and education applications for my partner (safari) and my daughter (Maths / Night Sky / Swift / Khan Academy / Scratch Jnr / FlipaClip) and I would be the occasional user.

My family won't be bothered about the pencil but I would and I'm not a fan of the hollow tap-tap sound. Hmmm... iPad Air?

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In terms of bang for the buck the new standard iPad is by far the best if you have to have a "current" model. The screen reflectivity is still by far better than 99% of the other tablets out there, laminated or not (excluding Apple's other tablets).

And the thunk or "hollowness" again is only notable when compared to the Air 3 or Pro. Someone that hasn't used those extensively wouldn't even notice I think.

That all being said, the processor is the same as in the last gen iPad, and I have seen it at places like target and Walmart for $229-$249 in the last week. I don't think the .5 inch size difference is worth it.

Last but not least, there are an order of magnitude more accessories such as cases for the 9.7 than the new one. The only compelling argument is if you have to have the smart keyboard, but IMHO it's way overpriced.

7. doobiedoobiedum

I've tested repeatedly whenever I go to the nearest city I'm afraid. I can get an education discount on any iPad and that hollow tap-tap has always put me off.
    Sadly because for me, the accuracy of the stylus beats anything else I've ever tried.