1.8 to 2.5in drive adapter DOES NOT fit in the X220t

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kamitorial, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamitorial

kamitorial Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank You.

2. ThiPaX40

ThiPaX40 Pen Pal - Newbie

And the 'contraption' you're using is the only one that will do the job? No other (shorter) 'contraption' available?

3. kamitorial

Thank You.

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There are lots of adapters, there are even 2.5" to 1.8" adapters that were used in previous Thinkpads. These are made for 9mm height drive bays, but the X220t is a 7mm height bay, so they would probably have to be modified (ie: have some of the plastic shaved off) 1.8" MicroSATA SSD HDD to 2.5" SATA Converter Adaptor | eBay and Lenovo ThinkPad 1.8" to 2.5" SATA HDD converter 42W7888 | eBay those look exactly like a adapter I saw used in a X200t before, and a tiny bit of modification would make it fit the X220t

and there do appear to be shorter variants of what you got, like these: Micro SATA 1.8 Inch to 2.5 Inch SATA Adapter | eBay and this SATA to Micro SATA adapter for 1.8 inch SSD 3.3V or 5V | eBay

Personally I think it is worth it to get a 'real' SSD working (ie your crucial) instead of mucking about with a mSATA drive that isn't exactly tried and true technology (not to mention more money out)

oh, and to ask the stupid question: you have actually tried putting the 1.8" with adapter into the X220t haven't you?

5. kamitorial

Thank you very much for your thoughts and the links.

Indeed it seems that the first one you mentioned is sufficiently shorter that it should fit well. I would still have to attach it (somehow) to the original caddy so it does not bounce around.

Yes, I did insert the drive with the adapter in the x220 and I could not fit the latch back into position. It was sticking out a few mm too much.

Thanks again for your help. I'll post back once the adapter arrives.

6. kamitorial

Thank You.

7. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for posting back, its good to know that adapter works because I ordered 2 of the shorter adapters a few hours before you posted (one for my Intel SSD to try it in my M4, and one to swap between the 90 GB and 250 GB 1.8" HDDs I have)

8. elect86

elect86 Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014