1.8" SSD for 2740P

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by robdam1001, Aug 8, 2010.

1. jammanalo

jammanalo Pen Pal - Newbie

2. kamitorial

kamitorial Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank You.

3. Neverwinter

Neverwinter Scribbler - Standard Member

I would like a 300GB... looks like my 256GB is already running out of space...

4. jammanalo

jammanalo Pen Pal - Newbie

FYI, I recently bought an 8gb 4gb(X2) at ebay (my favorite store for great deals), installed it on my 2740p. Power up great, opened Computer-Properties.
    It shows, Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (2.92 GB usable).
    Contacted seller via email, replied to have me contact customer support.
    Spoke to a representative, went through the identification routine, Type of equipment HP 2740p, Operating system:, Windows 7, Processors:, Intel i5, System type, 32-bit ....

Well I contacted HP requested for a Windows 7 64-bit operating system. With the price of Windows operating system I was expecting a discounted price of the Windows 7 x64 around $100-$200.
    HP customer rep said he was sorry that they don't presently have one on hand but will process one to be shipped in two to three days. I said that was fine. He also said that their will be a cost of 10 to 11 dollars...
    I was not sure I heard it right, How much? He repeated around 10 to 11 dollars... OK, charge that to my credit card (I was smiling from ear to ear).

5. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Well they are supposed to charge you 10$, I got mines for free. In fact, I asked for the DVDs and they sent me the 32bit version but I wanted 64bit so now I have both, no cost at all. Though, I did ask for them right away when I purchased it. But 10$ is better than full retail.

6. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

Well you already own a Windows license, all you are buying is the discs + shipping costs. You could even download an image file and burn it, and install Windows using the serial on the bottom of your computer, all for free.

7. in4mer

8. in4mer

How's the crucial SSD treating you?
    This intel drive is taking so long, I might just get the crucial 256gb one.

9. Neverwinter

Neverwinter Scribbler - Standard Member

So far it's working well... it's performance is easier to notice when you install games or software from a CD/DVD image... way faster than a regular HDD.. saves you a lot of time... but unfortunately it is expensive. I wish I had a 1TB SSD...

10. in4mer

I know an SSD is fast. I've got the x18, fast start up and shut down is what I like.

The funny thing is that a mac book on a regular hdd still shuts down faster than an SSD!

Anyways, yeah, lots of money. But hope it's enough to last for several years because it's sata 6 gbps and you could use a harddrive caddy for a new computer. I hope the SSD will last that long though.