1.8" SSD for 2740P

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by robdam1001, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

Intel has just released a 300Gb 1.8" SSD.

2. Neverwinter

Neverwinter Scribbler - Standard Member

...and I just bought the 256GB Crucial C300 for $490...

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

you have a link? I still can't get any info on that drive anywhere

You are better off with that crucial (the move to 25mm nand -such as the intel G3- means the total number of writes is totally diminished -even though they claim several TB writes now, that is only for random 4k writes... don't ask me what the hell that means I have no idea, but I think it has little to no bearing on any 'real use') So the Intel's really just did get crappier (except for larger size, and yet to be seen lower prices.

Because the SSD's that were coming out looked like limp noodles (and expensive ones at that) is the reason why I put my money into getting a DIY ViDock; I am going to build one where the external gfx card works at good speeds on the internal screen (so all that is connected to my 2730p is a mini-hdmi cable from the expresscard adapter, and it just adds gfx power to it) you can see what I mean by reading up on posts by 'nando4' such as these, and more:
    -DIY ViDock Experiences-
    -DIY ViDock Experiences - Page 302-
    I'll be posting my results in this forum once I get all the parts, put it together, and test it for a bit.

4. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I cannot "AMEN" this post enough. In fact, if I were king I would BAN HHD's from notebook computers alltogether. I first started by putting a 256gb Samsung SSD in my 2730p, and when I upgraded to a refurb 2740p, the SSD was the first thing to be moved. OneNote, Outlook, Word, Excel - they all open INSTANTLY (truly, within a couple of seconds). As much as I loved the instant-on of the iPad, with an SSD my 2740p is every bit as snappy as the iPad.

Another great benefit is a useful hibernation mode. I have my 2740p set to sleep fairly quickly (and it recovers almost instantly), with hibernation to kick in 20-30 minutes into sleep mode - even with 8gb ram it recovers from hibernation in < 60 seconds.

The all digital experience of lots of Ram and an SSD cannot be matched.

6. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

If you have the OEM 160 SSD...be sure to upgrade to the new firmware on HP site...it adds some snap! :cool:

7. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

8. in4mer

I think they release the 2.5 inch first before the 1.8 for whatever reason. From what I read, they did that with the G2. I'm sure the 1.8 will come out soon enough!

9. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

You are right. I can confirm that the G2 1.8in was 6 month after G2 2.5in on the market.
    copied to the 320 1.8in we have to wait till august :confused:

10. in4mer