1.8" SSD for 2740P

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by robdam1001, Aug 8, 2010.

1. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

I read some german lenovo forums, but nobody had the guts to try one of Intels new mini ssds. What I brought to light is that there are diffrent minipci slots and some cannot communicate with sata ssds, but some can. There have to be a brave hero out there ;)
    Cheers

2. shyam111

shyam111 Pen Pal - Newbie

You don't need the wireless assistant to use the bluetooth, just need to get the drivers from the Hp website for the bluetooth card and you can toggle it on or off from the. I know that's a bit off-topic but i saw a post stating that.

3. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I am very tempted to give it a try but it's a lot of money to waste if it doesn't work!

Gotta do a bit of research. The slot looks like it should work.

Update
    After doing a bit of research, it appears that it will probably not work.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-310-msata-mini-solid-state-drive,2854-3.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...492573-official-hp-2540p-owners-lounge-6.html. Search for keyterm msata.

Update #2

I think because this product is new, there is some conflicting information.

From the intel website:

"Lightweight for On-the-Go computing
    Lightweight for On-the-Go computing

The mSATA Intel SSD 310 Series enables a flexible, scalable and accelerated–storage solution in a form factor that is up to 8 times smaller than a 2.5” hard-disk drive, and weighs 10 times less. Supporting SATA signals over a PCI Express* (PCIe) mini-connector, the Intel SSD 310 Series provides compact storage acceleration for single-drive systems like netbooks, tablets and other hand-held devices. "

I am interpreting this as the drive is designed to fit in those slots.
    Any takers on this?

Also, I've asked hp chat support. This is what they said:
    "according to specifications of this card I see that this card supports and can be used with Express card slot."

4. jeffghs

jeffghs Pen Pal - Newbie

I was just looking on Crucial's web site today, they have a 256gb 1.8 ssd for $499. They also have 4gb sticks of ram for 48.99 each, so it would be $100 to get my system up to 8gb. I don't know if there is a market to sell the 2 gb sticks I currently have.

5. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone use the ATA-Password? Does the 2740p support the ATA-Password?
    Cheers

6. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

Here the answer!
    The 2740p supports the ATA-Password but it called differnet "DriveLock"!

Here is an HP Support document for setting Drivelock! (careful this instruction is for nc4000 Series)

HP Compaq Business Notebook nc4000 Series - Understanding DriveLock - c00070761 - HP Business Support Center

cheers

ps: does anyone know if i can use the fingerprintsensor as password for drivelook?

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

With RAM so cheap, it's hard to see very much of a market for the 2GB sticks, other than those who buy the Fujitsu and Lenovo tablets that come standard with only 2GB and want to go to 4, but check out the prices of 2GB sticks and you may not like what you see.

BTW, I purchased 4GB sticks made by OCZ for $36 a few weeks ago, and I've been hearing $30-$40 being the going rate for some time, so you may want to check around and possibly save yourself $30 or so, more by far than you are likely to get for your 2GB sticks.

Great find on the 256 GB 1.8" SSD, though! Did you post it in the "deals" thread? Does Crucial sell direct? Have you seen these SSDs for sale at any online stores?

8. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

$500 seems to be the current going rate for the crucial 256GB SSD. That's how much it is on Newegg right now.
    I'd love a nice SSD, but I can't justify their price when my whole 2740p only cost $900.

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I hear you on this, and if $900 was your max. budget for this computer, you got a great machine just by virtue of its core content. However, considering it's only very recently that HP has released refurb 2740s and before that, your $900 machine would have cost you at least 1,599, you could not invest a better $500 (or $300 for an Intel 160 GB) in that computer, and you would not be "over investing" in it if you had $1.200-$1.400 invested in it.

I used several 2740s with their OEM HDDs and then went to one with an SSD and, to a much greater extent than any before/after comparison I have experienced with HDD/SDD changes, the 2740 became an entirely different computer! And I have had it "up to here" with people talking about the "amazing" differences with SSDs:p Truly, the 2740 is a different computer with it's OEM Intel 160 GB SSD. If you are a fan of benchmarks, I ran PC Mark Vantage pre- and post- and the score went from 5,300 (not at all shabby) to 8180 ("nosebleed" territory; the SONY Z, among the fastest laptops-ever got 9900.)

I hope not to offend anyone with this remark, but I could not in good conscience recommend the 2740 over the Lenovo X-201t if you were going to stick with HDDs in both. The 1.8" 5,400 rpm HDD in the 2740/2730 is so slow, it bogs down almost everything you do on the machine. At least the Lenovo has a 2.5" 7,200 rpm HDD, which is almost twice as fast as the 160/250 GB HDDs in the 2740 (app. 34 mb/s vs. 18 mb/s - vs. 100-300 mb/s with SSDs). And as many on this forum know, I am the #1 champion of the HP 2740 vs. it's rivals - my need to sell mine notwithstanding; personal health problems are the sole reason for that sacrifice. I got the "religion" of SSDs - in the 2740 and others - some time ago, but the way I realized how it transformed the 2740 was when I recently helped a friend set up her new 2740 that came with an HDD; I honestly thought there was a problem with the machine until it hit me: the disk! We went out and bought an SSD at Micro Center right then, and all was well.

IMO, if $1,000 or so is your max budget for a tablet, I would strongly recommend you get an HP 2730 or Lenovo X200t for $400-$700 and put a $300 SSD in it instead of a 2740 with an HDD. For 90% of users/uses of tablet PCs, the faster cpu would have zero noticeable effect on performance, but the HDD to SSD change - especially from the slow-running HP 1.8" HDDs - would make you feel like your computer was suddenly on steroids. And it's not just boot times, you experience it with almost every click of your mouse. Word.

10. Neverwinter

Neverwinter Scribbler - Standard Member