1.8" SSD for 2740P

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by robdam1001, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

Because of all the preloaded software. It increases the load of the CPU and memory usage, causing you machine to use more energy. Some programs are more demanding than others, using more energy.

Many of the HP preloaded applications are redundant, for instance, the wireless assistant. The wireless assistant does nothing but duplicate the same set of options already available through windows UI.
    HP power assistant is almost as useless unless you are NOT already running a seperate power/battery consumption monitor, such as Batterybar (A personal favorite btw)

The only HP applications I would suggest you keep are the security manager (For use of the biometric device and HP spare key, amung other security tools) and HP support assitant (For automatic updating of drivers, but even this I would suggest you only activate manually and only once a month)

Aside from those, as long as all of your drivers are up to date (Which can be accomplished after a fresh install by means which I will post in the new user thread later) and you are familiar enough with the UI of your version of windows (hopefully win7) to be able to access the features and controls you want....
    There's no need to keep almost any of that stuff.

2. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Just to let you guys know, the HP wireless assistant is required if you want to have bluetooth. The security SW is needed for the fingerprint reader to work. Everything else is pretty much useless.
    I think I can get about 8 hours with the slice (wifi on + heavy browsing)

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks much for the tips. I have found the deletion of all forms of bloatware improve the efficiency (speed, battery life) of HDD-based notebooks, but I didn't get much of a change on my SSD 2740. There was only about 2GB removed (which I'll gladly reclaim!) and I can't say there is any noticeable speed advantage - the thing was already all but instantaneous to execute anything requiring only the SSD and cpu. As for battery life, battery bar had been reporting between 6.5 and 8.5 hours, (depending on what I was running, my screen brightness, etc) with the slice prior to removing the HP bloatware, and the range appears to be about the same now.

What I'd really like to do is to reclaim the 15GB used by the recovery partition. I have heard the following from several equally reliable sources:

1) If you have recovery disks you don't need the patition
    2) It's really not a good idea to remove the recovery partition even if you have recovery media; if you need to recover to factory-delivered state, you will have to manually add programs and drivers.

Any strong opinions?

Also, check out my new thread: adding internal storage when SSD maxes out

4. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

Is your question still open and unanswered?
    Today I bought a Intel x18 g2 160gb for 320$ and I'm very happy because here in Germany you have to pay about 500 each
    As for me I'd like to switch from windows 32bit to 64 and vanish the recovery partition, so I would be happy if someone shares his experience?
    Cheers
    Organic

5. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

push ;) cheers
    in order to define the question. who has ever used the recovery partition and wherefore should I keep it?

6. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I have used it for my previous computers because i really like the on disk recovery as all you need to do is press f11 to get into the recovery program to re-image your computer.

The downside is that on an 80GB SDD (i should have got 160GB), it is filled up very quickly and a recovery partition for my case isn't viable.

I purchased acronis (from what I understand is quite buggy, but I only purchased it for f11 start) that has the similar function of hp recovery partition. With acronis, I can keep my backup file onto a usb drive.

I hate how HP doesn't give us the recovery program and only have it preloaded.

7. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks, it really helps me to see reason that I don't need the recovery partition at all. I got everything on DVD so if necessary I could use the DVDs deliverd by HP to recover, right?
    Cheers

ps: your 2740p has 8gb ram, do you think its really usefull with win 7 64bit because it draws about 1 Watt more out of the battery?

8. in4mer

Update: Found some info here.
    http://www.laptopmemoryupgrades.co....adding-more-laptop-memory-affect-battery-life
    From this link, it is stating that more ram = more energy used.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...548615-does-more-ram-use-more-less-power.html
    More ram = more voltage = less ssd usage.

You could use the DVD's provided, however, you will need to install drivers and so on, so usually I recommend to some people if they can to create images (using disk imaging software) and to re-image their harddrives so they don't need to install the drivers and software again. It's almost like "factory- defaults" but if you choose what to software install and then image it, you'll have programs that you want ready to go with windows updates.

Well, as I am aware that the video card can use up to 1.7GB of ram, and currently my computer is using 2.29GB of ram, I figured another four will but my mind at ease. Can anyone confirm that another 4GB will consume 1 watt of energy? I mean i figured that I am already using 2 slots of ram, I don't think the amount will cause more energy usage.

I also think that if I have more than enough ram, I will never need the paging file, so I have turned that off as I have plenty of ram. I also sometimes use the excess ram to virtualize win xp when I need to, but I don't think that really matters.

I just wished I had bought the ram when it was a bit cheaper, as it had dropped 300$ but then when down another 50% 1-2 months later!

Other than RAM, I also wished I had maxed out on the SSD (but it was quite pricey for 160GB at the time). I think this machine is a solid build for me so I hope it will last me a while. With the tablet hype, I should be ahead of the game for a couple of years as most of the "tablet" phones are single cores but I know hp is coming out with an ipad like HP veer with dual core.

9. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm you that it'll use about 1 Watt more because each slot of ram needs power because of "dual-channel" so if one slot uses 1 Watt --> 2 slots will use 2 Watt (I contacted the company of my rams and they told me that it'll consume a bit more than 1 Watt each)

I didn't know video card is sucking so much ram ;)
    Cheers
    Organic

ps: I come up with an idea to use the new Intel SSD 310 Series 80GB SATA PCIe Mini Card in the 2740p, Does anyone have experience with it?

10. in4mer

Based on the forum link I posted, more chips = more wattage.
    I've already had 2 slots used (2x2) so 4x4 will consume the same based on your information.

Damn it. I didn't know they had these. Does this fit in the empty slot that could be for your wifi card?

I've been using an express card 45 SSD but the pcie would have definitely been a better deal.
    However, it's not easily removable...maybe I can get it to store the disk image. Hmm...