1.8" SSD for 2740P

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by robdam1001, Aug 8, 2010.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hmm...from 50% improvement in battery life to around 10% (I'm assuming Lehto was comparing the diff in battery life without the slice)...Do either of you have an idea why the huge discrepancy in your experiences with SSDs and battery life?

2. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not at all trying to attribute my huge gain in battery life strictly to the SSD. I think it's from doing a clean SELECTIVE reinstallation from the Install DVD's. I think many of HP's applications are useless and draining the battery(s) unnecessarily. I'm so PSYCHED that I went SSD foremost for the boost in performance but secondarily the HUGE increase in battery life which I had no idea I would be getting.

3. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree... ihink the HP software, is doing something to the battery; just like a bad Android app can/does eats battery and won't tryly exit when you think it has:)

4. lovelaptops

Apologies if this is a bit of a similar (not double!) post to one I made in the battery life thread, but can you be specific as to the programs you think are useless and the biggest energy hogs. I really don't want to do a clean install and start from scratch; I have not always had good results doing that, though several of you are reporting great results. I have found in the past that there are some programs and/or drivers that are not on the HP download site and it is not always clear which ones that you have wiped out that you really need to have back for everything to function well.

Or just call me embarrassingly tech challenged at times and a bit lazy, and tell me if I can get most of the benefits of both freeing up storage on my 160GB SSD and improving battery life by killing off your pet list of bloatware.

Much obliged.

5. lovelaptops

Solsavr,

Well, now I've joined the club: I exchanged my previous configuration for an upgraded CTO with the 160GB SSD. I am definitely loving the speed and seeing some - not sure how much - battery life improvement.

What I am not very happy with is the fact that the 160GB SSD, out of the HP 2740 box, has only 92 GB of free space available, and that's without any software of substance on the machine. Though slow, at least the 1.8" HDDs go up to 320GB. I really don't think I can live with this limitation unless either higher capacity 1.8" SSDs are developed or I can find a way to add a second drive to the 2740.

For the latter, the only option I see is to swap out the DVD drive in the expansion base and replace it with a second HD. Anyone know if that can be done?

6. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey LL...Been away for awhile, so sorry for the slow response. The key for you, IMHO, is to wipe your tablet and start over without the HP Bloatware! (yah, I have said this before!) I have 92G AFTER installing most of my programs, pictures, music and videos/movies, that I use. So the HP "stock" tablet is loaded up with a whole lot of worthless, windows overlay (imho :))

If you are running stock HP, my suggestion (bet you can guess)...REMOVE IT!:p

7. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

I did something similar. I did a fresh install and wiped my 160gb SSD bare, even the recovery partition. Fresh install, I only installed the minimum hardware drivers and then the HP assistant and HP wireless assistant (Now uninstalled)

After updating all the drivers, running no HP programs at boot... I'm getting ~11-12 hours with the slice. And I am seeing a <20sec cold bootup time.

This machine runs amazing now. :)

8. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

30seconds from the flick of powerswitch to having last program loaded and msn messenger logged in.

9. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool ain't it!:D (my work XP machine ...is painful now!)

10. lovelaptops

Can either of you gents possibly list for me which of the HP (or Windows) programs the machine will function fine without. I am a little skittish about wiping the drive clean, only because I've never done so before.

Perhaps more important...when I analyzed where all the disk space went, I found Windows used some 30G, all programs (including all the HP programs) used only 9G, 10G for recovery partition (which my favorite "guru" said to remove at my peril) and, get this, I learned from multiple sources that the "160GB" drive, like all drives, HdD and SDD, only starts with about 140GB, or around 12%% less than the advertised capacity. My 500GB HDD starts with only 455 GB, and my 320gB HDD onlywith 285GB. Add all those up (the OS, the programs, the recovery partition and the 12% "loss factor" and from your 160GB SSD you get....92GB available. So, unless you recommend removing some Windows programs or the entire recovery partition, I don't see where I can get much more space, as the HP programs do not occupy very much space.

Finally, since SSDs are so energy efficient anyway, do you know why you would get so much extra battery life from a clean install?

Thanks much.