Motorcycle riders: How do you carry your laptop?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Question Motorcycle riders: How do you carry your laptop?

Hi all,

Now that summer is on, I'll be riding to work whenever I can. Up to now, I've been carrying my laptop in my backpack and that's generally okay ( even though I hate wearing a backpack when I ride ). I've tried strapping the backpack behind me on the back seat and that's generally more comfortable.

Now that I have my 13.3" Asus, I checked and see that the laptop will fit inside my Joe Rocket tank bag. I think this will be the most comfortable way to ride with a laptop, but I was wondering how are all you riders out there carrying your laptop? Is there something that works really well?

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Motorcycle riders: How do you carry your laptop?

I prefer to keep mine in the tankbag, but my buddies keep saying that there is too much vibration on the tank and could damage it. I figure if I put it on a towel it can help absorb the shock.

I have tried the 'messenger' style bag and it seems more comfortable than a backpack. But it can shift around and I hate that feeling.
    Toshiba Satellite R25-S3503 | 14.1" | Core Duo T2050 | 1 GB RAM | 100 GB HD | DVD SM Dbl Layer

Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like the only way to really have it secure when I ride is to get a laptop specific backpack. There's a few hardshell ones out there that I'm looking at getting since it seems like they'd provide the best protection if I were to fall. There's also plenty of other options out there that provide a sleeve inside the backpack that has extra padding and etc.

Placing in a place with a lot of vibration is probably a bad idea.

Old timer

I couldn't find a tankbag that was big enough for my tabletpc, yet small enough for me to do a uturn on my sv650n with low SM1 handlebars. I had been riding with a MobileEdge Premium backpack, which is a really nice backpack, but I was worrying about what would happen to my back if I crashed with the backpack. I started using a Cortech Sport tailbag. So far the tailbag has worked out really well, but I've been planning to install a hard topcase that I can throw a backpack in while I ride. I've already bought a topcase, I just need to install it. I'll post more information later if other riders are interested. I'm just glad this board is finally here after about a year of waiting.
    Eugene Leafty
    Tablet #1: Fujitsu T4210, XGA, T2450, 4GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 memory, Hitachi 7k200, 2 modular bay batteries, Vista Biz, Office Ultimate, PDF Annotator, PDF Revu, Autodesk SketchBook Pro, Logitech Nano, infoCase Fieldmate case, Wacom Cross-1 penabled stylus, Belkin F8E550 cable lock.
    Tablet #2: Fujitsu U820.
    Tablet #3: Dell Venue 8 Pro, 32GB, active stylus, IVSO case, Xtremeguard screen protector
    Book scanner: Plustek Opticbook 3600

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I couldn't find a tankbag that was big enough for my tabletpc, yet small enough for me to do a uturn on my sv650n with low SM1 handlebars. I had been riding with a MobileEdge Premium backpack, which is a really nice backpack, but I was worrying about what would happen to my back if I crashed with the backpack. I started using a Cortech Sport tailbag. So far the tailbag has worked out really well, but I've been planning to install a hard topcase that I can throw a backpack in while I ride. I've already bought a topcase, I just need to install it. I'll post more information later if other riders are interested. I'm just glad this board is finally here after about a year of waiting.
    I want your bike

I carry mine in a backpack, I'm just not comfortable with the idea of it being attached to the bike instead of me.

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

I have the puter in the messenger style bag and I put that either in the trunk of one bike or the saddle bag of the other....
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - looking for purpose now
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - my main device
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 with Win 7 - has started to collect dust

Scribbler - Standard Member

I travel to work with my Toshiba M700 in the trunk of my Goldwing.
    Frank
    Fujitsu TH700 Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor (2.26 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 bit), 4 GB DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM memory (Dual Channel; 2 GB + 2 GB),320 GB S-ATA 150, 5400 rpm hard drive
    Toshiba M700
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.20GHz, 4MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB), Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate 32-Bit, **Upgraded to 4GB RAM and 200 GB 7200 RPM HD**

Pen Pal - Newbie

my notebook had to hang off my shoulders, when uncomfortable and even dangerous when turning. need to invest in a macbook air!

Veteran Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    You would be more worried about your tablet then the road rash????
    Computers

HP 6910p | Core 2 Duo Centrino 2.2ghz | 4gb Ram | 64gb OCZ Agility SSD | Windows XP
    Dell Inspiron One 19 | Intel Pentium 3.0ghz | 4gb Ram | 500gb 7200rpm Drive | Windows 7
    Custom Tower | Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz | 8gb ram | 500gb Hard Drive | Geforce 8800 GTX OC | Windows 7
    Custom Tower | Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz | 4gb Ram | 500gb Hard Drive | Zotac GTS 440 | Debian x64

Jobs

Lead Project Manager
    Computer Technician

Old timer

I think you got it backwards. I stopped wearing the backpack because I was worried the backpack and tablet would do something funny to my body if I crashed. I wear full gear all the time, so the risk of road rash is always the same. Usually I wear a leather jacket, textile overpants, leather full gauntlet gloves and full height boots, all armored. I just wanted to reduce the risk of twisting and compressing bits of my body the wrong way.
    Eugene Leafty
    Tablet #1: Fujitsu T4210, XGA, T2450, 4GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 memory, Hitachi 7k200, 2 modular bay batteries, Vista Biz, Office Ultimate, PDF Annotator, PDF Revu, Autodesk SketchBook Pro, Logitech Nano, infoCase Fieldmate case, Wacom Cross-1 penabled stylus, Belkin F8E550 cable lock.
    Tablet #2: Fujitsu U820.
    Tablet #3: Dell Venue 8 Pro, 32GB, active stylus, IVSO case, Xtremeguard screen protector
    Book scanner: Plustek Opticbook 3600

Thread Information