Outdoor Viewability- comparison pics and discussion of tablet pcs being used outdoors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Outdoor Viewability- comparison pics and discussion of tablet pcs being used outdoors

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Outdoor Viewability- comparison pics and discussion of tablet pcs being used outdoors

What are the major differences between these models other than differing cpu options? I might sell my x120e and try to purchase one model or the other for tablet functionality.

Moderator edit-
    This thread has morphed into a more specific conversation about the outdoor viewability of various tablet pc screens, with a great deal of support material, user-provided comparison pics, and real life assessments. As such, I've renamed the thread, and moved it to the appropriate forum to be used as a community resource.
    Last edited by Steve B; 12-09-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default re: Outdoor Viewability- comparison pics and discussion of tablet pcs being used outdoors

I believe that the x200 non multi-touch has the best battery life, if this important for you. And also the x201 has a trackpad. Another detail is that the x201 seems to have another screen/display solution where the screen is lowered a bit into the display casing. However, I donīt why Lenovo did this and therefore I canīt tell if it is a good thing.
    ThinkPad x230 tablet: Multi touch, Intel Centrino 6205, Samsung 840 256gb SSD
    ThinkPad x201 tablet: Outdoor screen, Gobi 2000 (3G, GPS), Intel Centrino 6300, Samsung 128gb SSD

The performance of an Outdoor Display
    TN and PVA panel comparison (HP tx2500 vs Lenovo x201t)

How to calibrate the x201t and x200t.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default re: Outdoor Viewability- comparison pics and discussion of tablet pcs being used outdoors

Thanks, I think battery life and price are my primary concerns, and I only ever use the trackpoint, so I'll probably be looking at the x200. Ebay primarily has models with either multitouch or a non-specified screen, which is unfortunate.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKuni View Post
    What are the major differences between these models other than differing cpu options? I might sell my x120e and try to purchase one model or the other for tablet functionality.
    officially the 200T doesn't support more than 4G memory. Unofficially if you have later build it might support 8G.

200's with touch are only single finger. 201's could be singe or two finger. 201's have better outdoor screens (without touch).

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Stan S. View Post
    officially the 200T doesn't support more than 4G memory. Unofficially if you have later build it might support 8G.

200's with touch are only single finger. 201's could be singe or two finger. 201's have better outdoor screens (without touch).
    Good to know.

I don't need more than 4GB ram for my usage, and I'd prefer an outdoor screen to a touchscreen. It's my understanding that the outdoor screen has much better viewing angles, color, and brightness compared to the touchscreen. I've read benchmarks on the CPU, and it looks like the x200's SL9400 is similar in performance to the ULV i5 used in the x201.

I'm not sure that for my needs the 201 would necessarily be a better choice for price/performance.

The x201t also runs much hotter for a minimal improvement in performance. Less battery life too. The Outdoor Superbright screen on both models is fantastic. It's what I have. I sold my x201t and got my x200t, and have never looked back. Put a SSD in, and run TPFC, and it's a silent cool machine. I have the 4 and 8cell batteries, and the option of 3.5 lb, less wide slate with 3 hours battery life or 4.0 lb extra wide laptop/convertible with 6-7 hours battery life is very flexible, and allows for a lot of uses. I wish it had onscreen buttons in a better location, and I wish the screen was 4:3 or 13.3", but other than that, it's been very good.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The outdoor display on my computer is fantastic during intense light. But the anti reflective layer causes "light waves", meaning that the brightness differs from different viewing angles. I tried an x201 without the outdoor display option an the screen were more pleasant to use. However, so were instead the display more reflective and not as bright.

Also I think that the "super bright outdoor" and just "outdoor display" ain't the same. You might have to look this up.

*Edit
    I just confirmed that the superbright display (300 nit) and outdoor display (400 not and anti reflective layer) ain't the same. With the superbright display so won't you have the problems with "light waves", but it won't be as usable in very intense lightning.
    Last edited by AndreR; 10-09-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    ThinkPad x201 tablet: Outdoor screen, Gobi 2000 (3G, GPS), Intel Centrino 6300, Samsung 128gb SSD

There's a Superbright screen and a Superbright Outdoor screen, as far as I know. I don't think there's just an Outdoor display. And, yep, the Superbright Outdoor does have these "waves" from a polarizing layer. It's my one truly legitimate complaint about the computer.

This polarizing layer makes the screen wonderful outside. No matte screen protector needed, etc. Very readable, even colors are pretty good, IMO, when used at full brightness. Absolutely so in the shade. Not too shabby in full sun. Works fine as a slate in either orientation, etc.

Indoors, I find it works wonderfully as a laptop, with bright vivid colors, as long as you tilt the screen at the correct angle. Tilt it at the wrong angle and an annoying "wave" of darker (though entirely readable) light descends across the screen, bit by bit, depending on how far you tilt the screen. There is a correct angle though, where you don't get any of this affect- you just need to tilt the screen to the correct angle and let it stay there. As a slate in portrait mode, I find it harder to work with indoors, as the anti-reflective layer runs top to bottom in that orientation, and it's hard to get it at the right angle when holding it so that there's no "wave of shadow" half way across the screen. This was definitely rather disappointing, though I have to say that I've never used it much in this orientation any ways, because of the 16:10 aspect ratio (compared to one of the Motion slates I owned, that were wonderful in portrait with a 4:3 ratio). As a slate in landscape mode indoors (the way I always use it when drawing, with the taskbar to the right), I find it works very well, as I'm usually either right above it while drawing, or I'm propping it on a stand to get a good ergonomic angle, in which case the polarizing effect goes away.

It did take me a while to get used to the polarizing effect though, and I complained about it a bit on these forums when I got the computer. It would have been nice to know about it before I got it. It's not a perfect screen, you trade off one thing for another a bit, but it's very good, IMO. Perhaps a different screen would be better if I was only working indoors. I don't know. However, I can say that its the best I've ever used, indoors or out (although I've not seen the t5010, and many seem to think that's a very good screen as well, even outdoors). It is very very bright, works wonderfully outdoors, and is also wonderful inside if used at the correct angles, with good color for art, and virtually no paralax, as you're drawing right on the screen, unlike many tablets that go bezel-less. It also has no "sparkles" that are normally introduced by matte finishes, and yet, simultaneously, doesn't have the major glare issues you normally have from a smooth clear finish.

The Superbright screen, comparatively, is also very nice, but I didn't like it as much, although it doens't have those "waves of darkness". It's not as bright and isn't nearly as readable outdoors, IMO. It has a hard plastic "cover" that goes across it, so you don't feel the bezel when inking. Some people really love this. I felt like it muted the colors, created opportunities for reflections, and introduced way too much parallax, as you're not drawing directly on the "screen" (which is an 1/8 of an inch below). I'm sure it's a good screen in its own right, but compared to the vivid colors, amazing brightness, lack of parallax, and impeccable outdoor viewing experience on the Superbright Outdoor screen, I had to sell it on ebay and get this one again. I was willing to forgive the Superbright Outdoor it's issues with the "wave of darkness" for all the other benefits. There was just no going back. ;P
    Last edited by Steve B; 10-09-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    Currently own:

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Steve B:
    You managed to describe exactly how I feel about my outdoor screen!

To clarify for others about the benefits and drawbacks of the outdoor screen. I compared my screen to our smart phones (HTC Desire, iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4) in sunlight and the outdoor screen was clearly superior.

I also compared the outdoor screen to an MacBook Pro which has a 300nit display and no anti reflective layer (not even matte). The problem with a matte layer is that it also negatively affects the quality of the image from the screen, and by not having it they can offer better colors, brightness, contrast etc. But instead they get problems with reflections/disturbances from the environment. The problem can been shown as in this picture.

My screen has an anti reflective layer which is supposed to affect image quality negatively but reduce disturbances from the environment. In my opinion so where my screen as good colors, brightness, contrast as the MBP in low light conditions (However, my screen could get brighter because of the higher nit, but we compared in similar brightness level). However, when light in the environment increased so did the problem with reflections accrue with the MBP screen, and very fast it turned worse. Even if we where inside so started the MBP screen clearly show itīs problems with the lights turned on. Finally it became useless when the sun started get into the picture while the outdoor screen still performed well.

Here is also an video of the outdoor screen where you can see the problems with "light waves".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHrDTV8EvNg
    Last edited by AndreR; 10-10-2011 at 02:19 AM.

Agent 9 was interested in some pics of the Superbright Outdoor in use, outside. I'm going to see if I can take a few pics. Perhaps I can get the "wave" in action as well, though I mostly see it inside. Cloudy with rain today, so I'll probably have to wait a little bit.

This thread, and a few others like it, has actually has been really useful to me. I've been going through this faze of thinking of getting a new computer (a Stylistic slate? a Motion slate? a t5010? an older model Fujitsu? a x60t or x61t? etc) as I think about how I might want to use it different, as well as looking for a bigger screen and better placed onscreen buttons-- my 2 major complaints about using this computer for art. Talking about how awesome the x200t is though, and why I got it in the first place, helps to remind me of exactly why I ended up with this one after going through so many models. Who knows, perhaps, after all this talk, I'll be staying with this model.

Btw, funny that the OP seems to be gone. LOL.
    Last edited by Steve B; 10-10-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Currently own:

Thread Information