Extreme cold temperatures

+ Reply to Thread
    Old timer

Default Extreme cold temperatures

I'm considering getting a u810 for extending winter backpacking trips where temps could fall well below 0F. Nonoperating temperature is the only things that actually matters for me, and I see that it only goes down to 5F for the u810.

So...what do you think would happen if the tablet saw much lower temperatures? The two parts I think would be at risk are the screen and battery.

I'm thinking I could put it in a freezer bag and keep it close to my body, but this may not always be possible since it'll be competing for space with batteries and water pouches. I'd much rather keep it in my pack when I'm hiking.
    Eugene Leafty
    Tablet #1: Fujitsu T4210, XGA, T2450, 4GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 memory, Hitachi 7k200, 2 modular bay batteries, Vista Biz, Office Ultimate, PDF Annotator, PDF Revu, Autodesk SketchBook Pro, Logitech Nano, infoCase Fieldmate case, Wacom Cross-1 penabled stylus, Belkin F8E550 cable lock.
    Tablet #2: Fujitsu U820.
    Tablet #3: Dell Venue 8 Pro, 32GB, active stylus, IVSO case, Xtremeguard screen protector
    Book scanner: Plustek Opticbook 3600

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Extreme cold temperatures

as you said, the display and battery are the fragile parts in your case, if you use a SSD.

The battery should work, maybe it has a reduced capacity. I haven't googled for temperature limits of normal Li-Ion batteries.
    The Display is the more difficult part here. It's possible that it will make problems.

You have to try it. To solve this issue you could use some chemical heaters, electrical solar powered heaters or heaters powered with gas and put it near your tablet.

Or get a rugged tablet PC

Old timer

I think it'll be fine. I won't be operating it when it's cold. I only plan to turnit on when I hit a town to resupply. If I really must turn it on while I'm out in the cold, I'll start a fire or use chemical heating packs.
    Eugene Leafty
    Tablet #1: Fujitsu T4210, XGA, T2450, 4GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 memory, Hitachi 7k200, 2 modular bay batteries, Vista Biz, Office Ultimate, PDF Annotator, PDF Revu, Autodesk SketchBook Pro, Logitech Nano, infoCase Fieldmate case, Wacom Cross-1 penabled stylus, Belkin F8E550 cable lock.
    Tablet #3: Dell Venue 8 Pro, 32GB, active stylus, IVSO case, Xtremeguard screen protector

Pen Pro - Senior Member

find a used tough book... these things might not be rockets but they were built for extreme enviroments and are pretty hard to kill.

Old timer

Are you going to carry that toughbook for me? I surely won't.
    Eugene Leafty

Pen Pro - Senior Member

depends on if u are buying the beer

Thread Information