Best drawing program??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Best drawing program??

Hi there out in tablet land.

I'm a first time tablet owner (Got a Toshiba Tecra M4-150 w/2048 ram)

all right, I got photoshop pro 9.0 CS (or something), but I wonder if there are any other better drawing programs out there??

and what is the best drawing program on the market? (that has many features I mean)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Best drawing program??

There are a number of programs available and each have a number of plus points to make them very usable.

However, if I were to pick one above the other it has to be Pixarra's TwistedBrush.
    Although the interface isn't as attractive as some in the likes of Alais Sketchbook Pro or Ambient Design's ArtRage 2, TwistedBrush has a mamouth of brushes available and what makes these special is that when using these brushes they paint and work on paper very similar to the real thing.

You can download a demo here.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Agent,

A program that I love to use if I am simply sketching and have not finalised my work in another program such the before mentioned Photoshop, is AutoDesk Sketchbook Pro. This is a really good all around drawing program and works great on a Tablet PC because of its unique interface. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

Pen Pro - Senior Member

If you want to get a pro application, I would go with CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool Re: Best drawing program??

The best so far to do drawings is Alias Sketchbook pro it's the fastest of all compare to Photoshop, Illustrator and Corel even flash. That's what I use to draw storyboards. But to get a finish illustration or painting quality photoshop cs is the right choice. You probably have to set up your brush dinamics in your brush option to get the painting quality, and using natural brush set would help too. You can also use painter, it's build more versetile and very art oriented compare to Photoshop, but the water color option might slow your computer down. Art Rage might be another option you want to look at. It's a down grade from Painter but will perform as well not to mention cheaper. To get more graphical look for your artwork you can use either Illustrator or Flash (Flash will be able to give you nice thick and thin quality if you turn on the preassure sensitive option for your paint brush).
    I hope this will help.

Scribbler - Standard Member

For sketching I have still to find anything that beats Alias Sketchbook Pro, but for more general drawings Corel Painters brush quality and sheer number of brushes can't be beaten.

Most of the really big guys in CG seem to be using Painter, Photoshop or both, but it all depends on your needs.

Pen Pal - Newbie

all sounds good, I'll try to try them all

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I teach drawing at a local art college, and I had my class lab equipped with Cintiq 21UX for every workstation. In my class, I teach digital drawing and rendering process geared towards Industrial Design, but should apply to other diciplines as well.

I chose 3 programs to teach on the 21UX: Corel Painter 9.5, Alias/Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 2.0, and Adobe Photoshop CS2.

The "drawing" and sketching part is accomplished by Painter and Sketchbook Pro. These two programs IMO gives you the best line quality from TPCs and LCD Tablets like Cintiqs. Others might come close, but these two definitely wins the prize (and yes, I have tried out just about every program out there).

Painter is very complex prgram to learn the ins and outs, so I'd suggest that you start out with Sketchbook Pro. It's a VERY user friendly program. Quite an intuitive interface as well. You can also export it's layer scheme as PSD file and take it into Photoshop intact (unfortunately for now, it's a one way street meaning you can't open PSD files with this program).

And the best part is that the educational license for SBP 2.0 is only $90.

Here's the link for the 15 day full featured trial version (which can be later turned into full version with keycode).
    Last edited by Shogmaster; 10-07-2006 at 08:01 AM.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2766&dateline=1273874722

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Shogmaster, have you tried Pixarre's Twistedbrush by any chance.

I find it a very easy and rewarding program for art work.
    It has a very large range of brushes available.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by P8RSON View Post
    Shogmaster, have you tried Pixarre's Twistedbrush by any chance.

I find it a very easy and rewarding program for art work.
    It has a very large range of brushes available.
    You know, I remember that program because I could never get any of the trial versions to run on my TPC... I don't know what the heck was wrong, but I can't comment on stuff I can't try out.

Thread Information