Whats the best drawing software for vista

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Whats the best drawing software for vista

Hello all nice to meet you

i wanted to find a drawing program that was suitable with windows vista. I have a few drawings on paper that I would like to transfer onto computer and make it look better. These are sketches and would like to add more color and detail. I would like also to try the software first. Thank you all.

Tablet Lead Mod (Retired)

Default Re: Whats the best drawing software for vista

Take a look at sketchbook pro, or artrage or photoshop which is alot more advanced. All 3 will have trials.

Art Rage or Sketchbook Pro might be more suited to your sketching.

I do not respond to PM's or emails for personal support.
    Please direct your queries to the appropriate forums, our community is willing & able to help!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by trianlge13 View Post
    Hello all nice to meet you

i wanted to find a drawing program that was suitable with windows vista. I have a few drawings on paper that I would like to transfer onto computer and make it look better. These are sketches and would like to add more color and detail. I would like also to try the software first. Thank you all.
    Nother surpasses Corel Painter 11 but it is a rather expensive program.

Scribbler - Standard Member

I really, really like ArtRage. I like it more than I probably should. It's really fun to use. Just get the trial, and see if you have as much fun as I do. I bought the full version after about 1-month of trial-use.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    I really, really like ArtRage. I like it more than I probably should. It's really fun to use. Just get the trial, and see if you have as much fun as I do. I bought the full version after about 1-month of trial-use.
    I have both ArtRage and Painter 11. Artrage is very basic. It is OK for minor staff but if you need to work interchangably between Photoshop CS3/CS4 and a drawing program, you need Painter 11 (which preserves all the layers of Photoshop files and can save files in Photoshop format).

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for all your help everyone I will try everyone's suggestions.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The absolute best is still Painter, but it's the most complex to learn.

Sketchbook Pro gives great lines (almost good as Painter), is the easiest to adapt to, but is still rather simple in functionality.

Art Rage is a great value, since a full license is only around $30. But it's brush engine is not as smooth as Sketchbook Pro, and no where near Painter.

Surprisingly, Journal can give you great lines. And it's free with Vista and XP:TE.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shogmaster View Post
    The absolute best is still Painter, but it's the most complex to learn.

Sketchbook Pro gives great lines (almost good as Painter), is the easiest to adapt to, but is still rather simple in functionality.

Art Rage is a great value, since a full license is only around $30. But it's brush engine is not as smooth as Sketchbook Pro, and no where near Painter.

Surprisingly, Journal can give you great lines. And it's free with Vista and XP:TE.
    I cannot agree more. ArtRage would have been a good program if the stylus was as responsive as in the other programs. Actually, Sketchbook Pro 2010 has an amazing stylus sensitivity and it appears to have specifically designed to work with tablets (at least this is my impression). Painter 11 is in whole different league and I can do things with this program that it is impossible to do with a simpler program like Sketchbook Pro. It works remarkably well with Photoshop CS4.

Does anybody have any clue if ArtRage stylus sensitivity can be improved?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The main drawing programs tend to fall into two broad categories (in my opinion anyway): these being a focus on workflow or a focus on natural media emulation.

Painter and ArtRage both focus on emulating natural media, and do a good job of it, but they also both have their quirks and can be hard to handle.

Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro are more workflow oriented, their natural media tools aren't as good as the other two programs and their brush engines are simpler. What they are very good at is simply getting the job done quickly and efficiently, and in that respect they are much better than both ArtRage and Painter.

Which type of program you prefer is down to personal preference, and artists are pretty divided between the two. I used Painter as my main drawing program for quite a few years, but now I've switched back to Photoshop as I find it more efficient to work with, and eventually I learned to do in Photoshop most of the things I did in Painter.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    The main drawing programs tend to fall into two broad categories (in my opinion anyway): these being a focus on workflow or a focus on natural media emulation.

Painter and ArtRage both focus on emulating natural media, and do a good job of it, but they also both have their quirks and can be hard to handle.

Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro are more workflow oriented, their natural media tools aren't as good as the other two programs and their brush engines are simpler. What they are very good at is simply getting the job done quickly and efficiently, and in that respect they are much better than both ArtRage and Painter.

Which type of program you prefer is down to personal preference, and artists are pretty divided between the two. I used Painter as my main drawing program for quite a few years, but now I've switched back to Photoshop as I find it more efficient to work with, and eventually I learned to do in Photoshop most of the things I did in Painter.
    I use both Photoshop CS4 and Painter 11, actually interchangeably in some cases. I have no problem regarding the emulation of natural media, the more the better in my opinion. However, there is a difference of how these programs handle tablets and tablet PCs and I think that the routines in Sketchbook Pro 2010 are excellent in working in that environment. Painter is very good too and it has great tools. It all depends on what you are doing. I love the use of perspective planes in Painter 11. I want to like ArtRage 2.0, it is certainly inexpensive, but its routines in dealing with the pen input are certainly not optimized.

Thread Information