Gimp

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gimp

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Gimp

I recently installed GIMP on my Fuji T4220. The program functions as usual in PC mode. However, when it is in tablet mode the stylus can select different tools and moves appropriately around the screen but it does not "draw" on the canvas.

I was thinking that GIMP might be having a problem recognizing the pressure of a stylus on the canvas. Any help while I continue to scour the internet would be great.

Has anyone experienced this before? How do I solve this problem?

Gateway C-141x

Default Re: Gimp

Seriana -

Assuming your tablet has WACOM "Penabled", you probably need to download the WACOM drivers from their website. Here is a link to the drivers page: http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/select.cfm. Choose "Tablet PC" and your operating system. When installed, you get a lot more options for the Pen. Note that callibration might be different in GIMP - it seems to be a bit off for me with a Gateway C-141X, but fine in Windows - I think it has to do with how Gimp doesn't seem to know that the tablet digitizer is over the screen, it sees it as a separate device.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much. The drivers have fixed the problem =)

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seriana View Post
    Thanks so much. The drivers have fixed the problem =)
    Hello

I also have a Fujitsu T4220. Please forgive me for my silly questions but I am a newbie as far as tablet-pcs is concerned.

Doesn't my Fuji T42000 come with WACOM drivers? Why does it need to be upgraded? If it does, should I go for Wacom Penabled Driver Driver 5.05-7 (RC) for Penabled Tablet PCs , Release Date: 1/18/08?

I also run gimp. Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems that I can use the pen to draw on a canvas created by gimp. Is that right?

Many many thanks

Ed

PS. Any hints on how to upgrade WACOM,please let me know.

Gateway C-141x

Emamm-

For some reason, most tablet manufacturers don't include the "full" Wacom driver - do a search on this forum, you'll see others asking the same thing. When you "upgrade" the driver, you get options for changing the buttons on the pen, pressure, etc. For the version number, whatever is the latest is often (but not always) the best, the version you specified is the only one I saw on their site for Vista.

Before you install the Wacom enhanced driver, you can use the pen in Gimp just like the mouse. But after you install the driver, you can use pressure sensitivity to change the size, opacity, etc of your brushes.

To install the drivers, just download the installer from the Wacom site, and run it. It should put a folder on your start menu and make a new Control Panel item.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

E295C + a pile of gadgets

should the 'stock' drivers be deleted before the Wacom 'extended' drivers are loaded?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

No. Leave it be.

Thread Information