Pen Lag?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pen Lag?

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Pen Lag?

Hello,

I'm not totally sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but I'm inclined to think that it's the latter. I recently bought a used HP TC4200 from ebay and for the most part, I'm satisfied with the purchase.

When I move the cursor with the touchpad, trackpad, or even with my regular tablet, it moves instantaneously. However, when I move the cursor with the tablet pen, it follows the pen like a dog on a leash, rather than instantaneously; kinda like the cursor has some sort of inertia.

I'm thinking that this is a software issue since the lag is not apparent with any other input method and I'm wondering if there is some sort of fix around this. I've looked through all the pen and tablet settings I could find and even downloaded the extended functionality thing from Wacom's site to no avail.

I want to be able to draw on this tablet and the lag is somewhat hindering, especially for rapid, short strokes of the pen. Any sort of help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

Tablet Lead Mod (Retired)

Default Re: Pen Lag?

what are the specs of the machine?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

switch off all the visual options, hold to right click, and flick gestures under pen settings. These induce significant lag.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Nice Yoko avatar!

First question: Have you updated the drivers on the tc4200? Also, I can't remember if it's using a wacom digitiser, but if it is have you installed the wacom drivers yet?
    PM/Email me regarding any broken images in my posts and I'll have them replaced.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Do you use Windows XP? If so, then there are no solutions available. Windows XP TE uses a program called wisptis.exe which controls the whole pen input, like eraser, buttons and also the calibration. If you stop this program (which is a little bit difficult) then you lose the calibration and other features but the lag is gone. Maybe with SP3 we get a new and faster wisptis.exe, but I don't believe it.

So if you want to draw in Photoshop or so, use Vista. I don't use Vista, and I don't know if the pen does also lag in Vista. But a lot of people say, that they are able to draw in these programs without further problems.
    Tablet PC's Levels of Sensitivity

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drtigerlilly View Post
    what are the specs of the machine?
    Pentium M 740 1.73GHz, 512MB 266MHz, 80GB 5400RPM GMA950. XP TE.

Like I said though, I don't think it's a matter of the hardware being underspec'ed. My old Dell 500m did fine with my Intuos3 and it had a 1.3GHz Banias Pentium M; I don't see why a significantly faster Dothan should be struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by pibach View Post
    switch off all the visual options, hold to right click, and flick gestures under pen settings. These induce significant lag.
    All my visual settings are already off, save drop shadows and themes. Where exactly can I find the setting for "flick gestures"?

Quote Originally Posted by kureshii View Post
    Nice Yoko avatar!

First question: Have you updated the drivers on the tc4200? Also, I can't remember if it's using a wacom digitiser, but if it is have you installed the wacom drivers yet?
    It's a clean install since I put in a new hard drive. I downloaded all the drivers from the HP site just two days ago and the tablet driver is straight from the Wacom site (implying that it IS a Wacom digitizer).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Do you use Windows XP? If so, then there are no solutions available. Windows XP TE uses a program called wisptis.exe which controls the whole pen input, like eraser, buttons and also the calibration. If you stop this program (which is a little bit difficult) then you lose the calibration and other features but the lag is gone. Maybe with SP3 we get a new and faster wisptis.exe, but I don't believe it.

So if you want to draw in Photoshop or so, use Vista. I don't use Vista, and I don't know if the pen does also lag in Vista. But a lot of people say, that they are able to draw in these programs without further problems.
    Tablet PC's Levels of Sensitivity
    Ouch. I'm a rapid XP fanboy/Vista hater here so that really hurts. I will look into it, but downgrading to Vista is definitely a drastic measure for me. That really sucks if there isn't a workaround in XP...

Thanks for the responses, all.
    Last edited by Commander Wolf; 04-06-2008 at 03:53 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Wolf View Post
    Ouch. I'm a rapid XP fanboy/Vista hater here so that really hurts. I will look into it, but downgrading to Vista is definitely a drastic measure for me. That really sucks if there isn't a workaround in XP...

Thanks for the responses, all.
    You could always just install XP Pro and lose all tablet functionality. You basically end up with a Modbook. Given that choice, Vista is a much better prospect, no matter how you feel about it.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Vista just uses same wisptis.exe as XP does. Not much difference here. Many people also report pen lag under Vista. Go ahead and do follow my hint, then you will be very likely lag free. If not, delete Wacom drivers (completely erase) and revert back to OS drivers. Wacom installation gave me pen lag (under Vista). Probably this depends on order of installation (wacom reports about pen lag to be a known bug).

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Well, if I were in your position I'd do one of these things:

1) Do another complete reformat. Install drivers first before windows updates.

2) Go to task manager, close them one by one and see if one of those processes is causing the pen lag.

3) Raise the thread priority of wisptis.exe and see if it helps. There was a freeware app here that runs in the background does this everytime it detects pen movement, then reverts it back to normal once no pen movement is detected. I can't seem to find it now though.

Of course, there are other options available, jut try those that you have enough time to.
    PM/Email me regarding any broken images in my posts and I'll have them replaced.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

@kureshii
    The program you ment is TabTip Tamer, which does increase priority of TabTip.exe, which does, in my opinion, nothing
    Because in my opinion it's not the TabTip, which produces the lag, it's wisptis.exe, which is, maybe, slow. But it already has high priority and if you increase it's priority, then you see no improvement.

And using the default pen drivers disables pressure sensitivity in Adobe Photoshop or similar programs.

Thread Information