Pen Lag? - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pen Lag?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Pen Lag?

hey guys, glad I could help. Actually I did find out about this some time ago and did these posts:

Quote Originally Posted by pibach View Post
    Have the Thinkpad x61t and as well noticed the lag. You brought me to the idea of switching this "hold to right click" off and it highly improves responsiveness. I don't get a doubleclick problem and at first was soo happy with the pen performance (fantastic!) - but then I figured out that I now cannot rightclick, even though it should with the pen button. Strangely I also cannot calibrate (is freezing). I am using newest Wacom driver from their Website Version 5.05-7. Weird.

Isn't this a big issue for everybody using Vista/Wacom? Find it very strange that after reading this forum for a couple of month nobody has reported this pen lag. Aren't there any PDA users that are accustomed to zero pen delay?
    ... I get satisfactory speed switching off the dynamic feedback. But still, tools like Speedscipt show a bit of lag with the "hold to right click" on and remain unusable.
    I find this so eagerly important that maybe we should repost this issue in the general track. Also I would like to encourage everybody (sorry, but don't have the equipment) to do a short video showing the pen/lag experience on their machines with the different settings
    and as well on gottabemobile:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/f...s.asp?TID=4311

...Anyway this pen lag should be apparent to everybody (seems to be a general OS issue). It prohibits effective text editing and drawing. Strangely I nowhere at GBM (nor anywhere else) found anything abort this very fundamental issue. Now l am wondering how all you guys are using the tablet mode. What are your experiences?...
    Last edited by pibach; 04-08-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

hey guys, glad I could help. Actually I did find out about this some time ago and did these posts:

and as well on gottabemobile:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/f...s.asp?TID=4311
    It's too bad the we never read each other's lag topic threads before. We would have hammered this out long time ago!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Well, hopefully in future someone would see this sticky or use the search function...
    PM/Email me regarding any broken images in my posts and I'll have them replaced.

Pen Pal - Newbie

im currently using Gateway 142X...

just wondering if i increase the ram from 2gb to 3gb

maybe throwing in a new processor like T8300 .... will it improve on the pen lag in photoshop... or if all the 140X and XL series come with pen lag by nature?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kersing View Post
    im currently using Gateway 142X...

just wondering if i increase the ram from 2gb to 3gb

maybe throwing in a new processor like T8300 .... will it improve on the pen lag in photoshop... or if all the 140X and XL series come with pen lag by nature?
    the pen lag in Photoshop and XP was solved by disabling the press and hold to right click feature. So that's solved.
    It's now as good as in Vista.
    If you mean the delay, that the cursor is a few pixels behind the pen if you move the pen, then no, nothing will solve this, this is a Windows problem which is caused by wisptis.exe which is responsible for the pen calibration. If you shut down this program (which is a bit difficult) then the delay is gone but also the calibration and the pen does also not work properly when the display is rotated.

Veteran Moderator

Wow, those tweaks actually helped my pen lag. I just kind of learned to live with it. Thanks!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Getting rid of tabtip.exe and fixing lag on the M200 Portege.

How to get rid of tabtip.exe and wisptis.exe forever!

I just last week got a shiny (used) new Portege M200, and jumped right into trying to sketch and ink on it. --The screen resolution is magical! The airbrush tool with the right settings looks just like pencil and the response time was fast enough for me to throw down some nice sketches. --However, when it came time to ink. . .

Doom and heartbreak!

--Weird jitter and lag and all kinds of dumb nonsense I'd not noticed while 'penciling' because my hand had been moving too fast and the image was too rough and at a low enough magnification to see the problems. But man, when you go in for some tight accuracy with a black line. . . Not so good.

So I started searching and came across the solutions offered here. --Thank-you all for sharing, btw!

But for some reason. . . It didn't work for me! I unchecked the boxes in every possible combination dozens of times over, I tried every flavor of every driver I could find, and scribbled tens of thousands of dots across Corel Painter X's brush calibration thingy. All to no avail.

So I descended into registry HKEY land, edited and compared scripts, sent emails off to Wacom, (and got an evasive brush-off from an overwrought-sounding IT guy who probably isn't in a position to change anything even if the capability is within easy grasp), and then I started on messing around with different operating systems.

I now have semi-legal and outright pirated copies of every major Windows release, up to and including Windows 7 beta, (which is a pretty darned fine-looking piece of OS, in case you were wondering. The beta is a bit flakey around the edges and weirdly slowed down after a couple of hours of being quite zippy on the M200, but if MS can pull it into shape I might actually buy a copy when it comes out. --Assuming they can fix, among other things, the lag problem in the M200, which they have not yet!-)

I downloaded a copy of Ubuntu 9.04 which just came out yesterday, but while it auto-recognized the Portege's tablet, it doesn't offer pressure support. And I'm too confused by Linux to understand how to hack together the required code. Still, that's a nice-looking OS as well. But it didn't solve the problem.

Anyway. . , I did find a solution which I would like to share.

--The problem lies in the fact that there are two distinct and sometimes competing digitizer drivers installed on the M200 at any one time. One made by Microsoft and installed with Windows Tablet Edition, and the one you need from Wacom to activate the pressure sensitivity we all love so dearly.

The two don't play well together.

In particular, Microsoft's clever little driver, tabtip.exe is the problem. --When I turn it off in the process tree, suddenly lag vanishes. Pressure and stylus control remain. But it doesn't take very long before tabtip.exe turns itself back on, because that's just how Windows is. tabtip.exe is also impossible to erase because a copy is stored in the Windows permanent library. Delete it, and Windows helpfully restores it at the next convenient opportunity.

So there I was, having spent about three days without a whole lot of sleep, getting crazy-haired and scruffy around the chin, not eating enough, drinking too much coffee and generally devolving into a shadowy script-kiddie-hacker-goblin. (And getting no actual paying work done during all of this, I might add). And then it struck me. . .

"Hey! Windows XP Home Edition doesn't have any Tablet PC drivers."

(According to Microsoft, XP Professional does have them, just in case you were wondering. I didn't try that OS out because it sounded futile for this reason.)

So here's what I did, and boy did it ever solve the problem. . !

1. I wiped the hard drive clean.

2. Installed Windows XP Home Edition.

3. Installed the bare minimum number of drivers including, a) the Intel chipset driver, (which I don't actually know was necessary, but it seemed like a good idea), b) The Nvidia graphics card driver, c) and the LAN card driver. --All of which had to be loaded on using a CD because Windows XP Home doesn't recognize the M200's native ethernet card. --But thankfully, the M200 DID recognize my external USB CD-DVD player, which I know is a problem for some. If you don't have some way to load big-lots of data onto your naked machine, then none of this stuff is possible. I should probably have mentioned that at the start. But anyway. . .

4. I went to the Wacom site and got their universal Tablet PC driver, "PenTablet_505-7.exe", and hoped that it didn't JUST provide pressure support but also did the other X,Y, coordinate reading thing. --Guess what? It does!

The end result?

No more problem with the stylus. tabtip.exe and its evil older brother wisptis.exe (which does bad things if you stop it's process) no longer exist at all on my system. And both Photoshop CS3 and Corel Painter X run . . . sort of fine. (For some reason, when you first start up either program, the lag thing is back. But then after a few seconds of scribbling in Photoshop, it's gone. Painter also loses the lag, but not until you muck around in your desktop or in another program for a few seconds. The Wacom tablet driver is clearly in need of an update, but at least it's not totally broken as it was when it was working in conjunction with the MS drivers.

Still, this I can live with for the time being. There are a few hours left in my day; perhaps I'll tinker a bit more. (I discovered this new development, actually, within the last few minutes while editing spelling errors in this post.)

Anyway, to continue. . .

There ARE a couple of drawbacks to this solution I am experiencing so far. . .

--I haven't yet tried out numerous of Toshiba's pen/screen drivers for fear that one of them might screw up my system again. I only JUST got it working right. Maybe in a day or two I'll be brave enough.

The screen rotation utility and button utility, (both of which I DID try), don't work, and probably wont I suspect without several other Toshiba drivers which I don't want to touch.

So instead, I just downloaded this screen rotation gadget. . .

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/V.../iRotate.shtml

It works quite nicely, and re-orients both mouse and stylus inputs. You can activate it from the tray icon or using a combination of ctrl-alt-up,down,left,right keys. --A little cumbersome, but for me, my tablet is pretty much going to be fixed to my drafting board, so I'm not terribly concerned about this.

And the other thing. . .

Handwriting recognition is no longer available. --That's a little sad, and maybe it can be resurrected with some more tweaks, but at the moment, I DO NOT CARE!!!! I didn't buy this tablet to write text out long-hand; I bought it to draw and paint and basically try out an affordable alternative to the over-priced Cintiq. --Which I very nearly bought. If it had been just a few hundred dollars less, I might have overlooked it's crazy-thickness and weight, low screen-resolution, chase-after-the-stylus cursor idiocy (which as I learned was a design decision and NOT a computer power issue, and in fact the reason for my contacting Wacom), the glass-thickness issue and various other limitations which put the technology squarely in "Model T Ford" country. But I didn't. Instead I decided to test out this whole digital drawing thing on something less expensive in case it turned out to be a bad idea. --And with the M200's considerably higher screen-resolution, I'm wondering if my cheap-ass solution might not have been the right one all along. Go figure.

There are a couple of other notes I would like to share before I sign off on this. . .

1. Jitter from RF interference is still a problem. In the wee hours of the night, I can ink a straight line, but after the sun comes up and people start playing with all their thousands of different wireless devices, my lines get bumpy. --At the moment, I live in a busy apartment building in the downtown heart of a thriving metropolis, but I'm moving very soon to a much smaller town in the middle of farm land. Hopefully the problem will correct itself.

2. Toothpicks and match sticks. --When you're pulling your hair trying to order Wacom's felt nibs, (living in Canada, they won't mail them to me, and the re-seller they referred me to will sell them for $10, -plus a $56 next-day shipping fee which you can't contest.) I got fed up and carved up an old wooden match stick into the right length and diameter. It works wonderfully, and it's free. I'm going to snag some tooth picks next time I eat out. I wonder how different wood types will feel in the stylus. . ?

Okay!

Thanks again for posting. I wouldn't have solved anything if it wasn't for everybody being so generous with their knowledge.

Cheers, and have a great day or evening! Life is good, and I love you all!
    Last edited by thatcomicsguy; 04-17-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

you can deactivate TabTip.exe in Win XP:TE, too.
    You just have to delete or rename the backup file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\tabtip.exe), then delete the original file (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\tabtip.exe) and kill the process, a few seconds later a message pops up in which you have to confirm that you don't want to install TabTip.exe again.

When I did this all the pen lag was gone, the cursor was immeditiately below the pen nib, but the pen calibration was gone too, when the display was rotated the pen worked not like it should and other pen features weren't accessible any longer. So I restored it again.

The fix which is posted here does not solve the problem that the mouse cursor isn't below the pen nib immediately. It solves the problem you have in XP:TE if you draw in Photoshop, Painter, Acrobat.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default After a few days and more results. . .

So I did end up installing a bunch of Toshiba's drivers on my copy of Windows XP Home Edition on the Portege M200.

-I now have screen rotation working with the button. That's nice.

-I have the side pen-tap 'buttons' working and programmed to my preferred settings. That's nice as well.

-Calibrating the pointer works a-okay with the Wacom driver.

-I did NOT try to get the handwriting recognition operational and probably won't.

I am kicking myself a little bit because I didn't know you could stop Windows from loading tabtip.exe from the registry, as Frank pointed out. WinXP Home seems to be working very nicely in all other respects, so I'm going to sit pat with it for now.

--Oh, and I did end up getting some toothpicks. With a tiny bit of sanding to thin them down appropriately, they work very nicely as replacement tips in the stylus. Nice friction and feel and good to work with.

Cheers!

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there, I found a lot of information here, but they are not working for my case. I am using Win XP Home, Wacom Bamboo with Wacom drivers and everything is working great but... I don't know why, sometimes, after a while windows option for "press and hold for right click" is turning on automatically and since then pen lag is making my tablet useless for precise job.

After rebooting a system everything is fine again, till this "magnificent" windows feature is self turning on again. In XP there is no additional item in control panel called "pen and input..." or so, where I could disable this feature. I tried to find where in windows registry are variables of this feature but without success. Also, I searched all additional Windows items (from installation disc) and again without sucsess. Is there some shortcut key for this feature? How can I disable it when there is no controls for it anywhere?

And when this feature is on an icon appears next to a cursor after you press and hold your pen (white mouse with blue right button flashing) so I know it is windows feature, not Wacom drivers feature or so (I have found similar icon on MS web page where they are showing how to turn this feature on for Vista or Win7 but not for XP, damn!, but this icon is there so this feature is there too and there have to be some way to disable it!) I feel completly helpless because I can't find any way for a long time. HELP!
    Last edited by Buckey; 11-14-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Thread Information