Pen Lag? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pen Lag?

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Pen Lag?

Hmm, ok. So turning off flick gestures seems to have helped a little bit. I have tried uninstalling the Wacom drivers and installing the default HP drivers (the OS doesn't want to give me a driver by default; the tablet just doesn't work if I simply uninstall the Wacom drivers) but the performance is the same. I'm hesitant to do another reinstall, but I will try that when I have the time.

wisptis.exe priority is already set at "realtime", so I don't think that's an issue.

I noticed that the effects of the lag seems to be of varying severity across different programs. In OpenCanvas 1.1 it's absolutely appalling (like I said, extremely hard to do rapid or precise strokes), but it's almost unnoticeable in OC 4.03. Why is this? Is this actually a driver problem or something to do with the apps themselves?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

make sure you disable all options in pen settings. In particular the hold-to-rightclick causes severe pen lag.

If you delete Wacom Driver in device manager and let it search for new devices it will automatically reinstall original Vista driver. This just takes 1 minute of time. As Frank mentions this will disable pressure sensitivity in certain apps, but it will give you back a lag free system. Test the pen in journal, for example. Your OC installation seems to have its own issues.

Afterwards you can reinstall Wacom drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by pibach View Post
    If you delete Wacom Driver in device manager and let it search for new devices it will automatically reinstall original Vista driver.
    I'm using XP

BUT WOW. I can't believe it! Disabling the right click REALLY helped (suppose it's evidence that they're both using the same wisptis.exe?). Especially in OC 1.1, it made all the difference in the world.

Rep + to you, sir!
    TC4200 > X61T > X200T > X220T

Pen Pro - Senior Member

pibach, you knew a solution to the well known XP TE pen lag problem all the time and you never said anything, shame on you ^^

You really solved a lot of problems I had.
    Now, after disabling the hold-to-rightclick the mouse cursor still follows the pen and isn't immediately below the pen if you move the pen with moderate speed over the display, but eveything else works perfect now.

Writing a text in Photoshop with the pen is possible without any lag now. Even annotating PDFs with the pen in Acrobat is possible now, which was too laggy before.

Now Shogmaster should try his Painter Win XP TE pen lag demonstration again, after disabling this "feature"

Thank you so much, that's why you get a Rep + from me, too.
    Last edited by Frank; 04-07-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Damn, I solved it and never knew the whole time either ><

I assigned R-click to one of my stylus buttons, and since tap-and-hold frequently interrupted my tableting (I like to keep the stylus on the screen while thinking) I switched it off too. I never knew it solved more problems than that, LOL.

Don't mind if I sticky this thread, Cmd Wolf
    Last edited by kureshii; 04-09-2008 at 05:43 AM.
    PM/Email me regarding any broken images in my posts and I'll have them replaced.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    pibach, you knew a solution to the well known XP TE pen lag problem all the time and you never said anything, shame on you ^^

You really solved a lot of problems I had.
    Now, after disabling the hold-to-rightclick the mouse cursor still follows the pen and isn't immediately below the pen if you move the pen with moderate speed over the display, but eveything else works perfect now.

Writing a text in Photoshop with the pen is possible without any lag now. Even annotating PDFs with the pen in Acrobat is possible now, which was too laggy before.

Now Shogmaster should try his Painter Win XP TE pen lag demonstration again, after disabling this "feature"

Thank you so much, that's why you get a Rep + from me, too.
    Aw crap, I have to reinstall XP:TE all over again on my spare drive? I'm willing to go through all that (I wish I've known about this 3 weeks ago when I recorded the video showing the difference between XP:TE and Vista on Painter), but jeez, talk about bad timing. I'm swamped right now! (which is why I still haven't edited that video) Minus 10000 rep points to pibach for not letting us know about this sooner! >:-)

One thing though: If this is true, then Vista's right click doesn't affect lag since I still have it turned on in that video from 3 weeks ago. It's too bad about that old video. I borrowed my friend's HD cam to record it. Now the new video (I'm gonna do it right freakin' now because I'm dying to know) is gonna be done with my point and shoot's crappy 320x240 MJPEG movie mode. *cries*

Quote Originally Posted by kureshii View Post
    Don't mind if I sticky this thread, Cmd Wolf
    I'd be honored I've been on NBR almost a year now and I still don't have a sticky there
    TC4200 > X61T > X200T > X220T

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Pibach is right! It's Press and Hold after all this time causing most of the lag. Holy crap, I should have messed around with that years ago! *bonks head*

Watch the video of this in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ZnoypMxxs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XVN4durL8

edit: LOL, Vista's Pen flicks also cause some lag in Brush Tracking dialog box of Painter. I turned that off way back when so I never noticed it.
    Last edited by Shogmaster; 04-08-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2766&dateline=1273874722

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Nice done Shogmaster, a bit long, but therefor very detailed and easy to understand.

The only thing I don't understand is why you've deleted the Wacom data file? In my case, the problem was solved after just disabling this XP feature withouth reinstalling the Wacom driver or deleting this data file.

PS: What Pen have you used in your video? Looks like a nice pen (not so ugly like the 18SX )

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Nice done Shogmaster, a bit long, but therefor very detailed and easy to understand.

The only thing I don't understand is why you've deleted the Wacom data file? In my case, the problem was solved after just disabling this XP feature withouth reinstalling the Wacom driver or deleting this data file.

PS: What Pen have you used in your video? Looks like a nice pen (not so ugly like the 18SX )
    For some reason, I had to delete the DAT file in order for the Brush Tracking in Painter to be fixed, even though without doing that the lag did go away while using the brushes in Painter. Also, deleting the Wacom DAT file and then rebuilding it was easier than uninstalling then reinstalling Wacom driver like pibach suggested.

As for the pen, it's from Sony LX900 Slimtop PC. Google it and laugh at my foolish purchase from 7 years ago.

Thread Information