Yes, Samsung ATIV Smart PC (Atom) DOES work with Windows 8.1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Yes, Samsung ATIV Smart PC (Atom) DOES work with Windows 8.1

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Yes, W8.1 works on Samsung ATIV Smart PC (Atom)

Hi guys, I just installed Windows 8.1 onto my ATIV Smart PC (Atom CloverTrail). It does work, unlike what Microsoft says.

Moral of the story: dare to try the impossible

As they say, no picture, no talk, so here's an image for you:

How to do it?

1. You'll need the Win8.1 32-bit ISO. Get it from Windows 8.1 Preview ISO files - Microsoft Windows
    2. Follow instructions on Clean install Windows into your ATIV Smart PC 500T. to create a bootable Win8.1 USB key. Spoiler: A LOT of hard work coming right up...
    3. Before attempting any formatting, run SW Update on your ATIV to download ALL driver files EXCEPT Wacom Digitiser. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO THIS ONCE ON WIN8.1 AS SW UPDATE DOES NOT WORK THERE!
    4. Get the other drivers from the links I provide below:
      Wacom Digitiser Drivers - http://cdn.wacom.com/U/drivers/Table...uch_711-12.exe
      Much newer drivers than those Samsung provides
    5. After you've prepared the USB flash drive, proceed to boot your ATIV from USB by starting BIOS Setup by holding down the Windows button when powering on. Select the last tab, then select your thumbdrive at the bottom (should see something like UEFI: Name of thumbdrive)
      Please note that you will require a USB hub, a USB keyboard and mouse because touch doesn't work during setup! Also note that it takes FOREVER to boot from USB - don't panic!
    6. Follow the instructions, and select the Custom Install option when asked. If you need the product key, visit the Windows 8 ISO download page I linked above.
      I deleted the 100MB partition, MSR partition and my C drive partition, leaving recovery intact.
    7. Let it install. It will take a while. Go get a drink/beer.
    8. After you've booted into W8.1, it's now time to install drivers. Install the William drivers that you've downloaded from SW update first. Afterwards, install the drivers in any order you please.
      Take special care NOT TO INSTALL SW UPDATE because it does not work!
      You will need to install the PowerVR graphics drivers MANUALLY through device manager because the setup file will refuse to run! Go to Device Manager > Display Adapters > Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and update the driver
    9. Restart, and you should be up and running with Win8!

For the lazy or the cannot-be-bothered, the video shows W8.1 on the ATIV Smart PC.

Hope you guys enjoyed this!
    Last edited by ryanswj; 06-29-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Default Re: Yes, Samsung ATIV Smart PC (Atom) DOES work with Windows 8.1

they didn't say it wouldn't work, just that it's not supported, which is why you have to go through so much to get it running.

oh, and great write up!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Awesome!

How does it run compared to the Windows 8 that came standard on the 500T?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Installed on mine. But now my touchpad doesn't work. Also if it is docked in the keyboard I can't access anything on my desktop. Desktop mode is frozen. Only the metro ui works. If I reboot without it docked everything works fine until I attach the keyboard again.

Quote Originally Posted by MadSquabbles View Post
    they didn't say it wouldn't work, just that it's not supported, which is why you have to go through so much to get it running.

oh, and great write up!
    Thanks! Was my pleasure writing this guide to help the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by 996gt2 View Post
    Awesome!

How does it run compared to the Windows 8 that came standard on the 500T?
    I haven't really had the chance to play with it yet, so I can't quite comment! I'll be sure to write my impressions once I have had enough time to play around! Seems equally responsive, if not more responsive, than W8 that came on the tablet. But it could be because I reformatted it.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I can confirm this too. I just installed windows 8.1 on my ativ 500t and it works flawlessly. I have to admit that the installation was not smooth, but it did work eventually.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, it is a work to do.

I did successfully install 8.1 on my ATIV atom through MS store way. Although it makes me to force shutdown for several time

Now what I wonder is that if your ATIV successfully shutdown on Windows 8.1 cause mine does not (it never finish shutdown process with blue screen and white circling, thus I need to force shutdown with the hardware button every single time.)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Parannarae, I had your same experience. The tablet would restart, do this updating % count, then the screen would go dark. I had to force shut down with the power button a few times and it eventually took me to fill in some information, then it went dark again and forced me to force shut down. Finally, it restarted and took me to the desktop. Once the update to 8.1 was complete I've had no problems. Windows 8.1 works awesome on my ativ500.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Parannarae View Post
    Wow, it is a work to do.

I did successfully install 8.1 on my ATIV atom through MS store way. Although it makes me to force shutdown for several time

Now what I wonder is that if your ATIV successfully shutdown on Windows 8.1 cause mine does not (it never finish shutdown process with blue screen and white circling, thus I need to force shutdown with the hardware button every single time.)
    Parannarae, how did you manage to install via MS Store???? I didnt get the update request like i did my desktop... what did you do?

Thread Information