FlipSteady case for Ativ and series 7

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default FlipSteady case for Ativ and series 7

Hi,

I developed a really unique combination cover and stand for tablet devices.. I have been hand making the FlipSteady for ASUS EP121 users and iPad users for the last several months but now its time to pick some new tablets to support. The ATIV tablets and the series 7 all look like a good fits but I'm a little concerned that these tablets all come with docks and keyboards. I'm not sure that my cover stand doesn't create a redundancy of functionality. Anyhow, I thought I would introduce you to my design and see what actual users think.

Here is a video showing the original product for the iPad.

I may be able to design around the keyboard dock so the cover would not have to come off of the tablet in order for the tablet to be docked. I need to get my hands on the Samsung tablets in order to see what is possible.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil Inc.
    Flipsteady.com

*Update*
    Looks like the FlipSteady for Samsung Ativ tablets is a go!

You can follow the development progress here in the thread you are in.

I am taking 50 free reservations for the 500T as well as the 700T at my website.
    Reserve yours for free now by clicking the link below and selecting your model.
    Link here

* With the free reservation You will not spend any money now and you are not committed to buy anything in the future. I am just using the ordering system as a gauge to check demand and keep in contact with those who are interested. although, those who reserve will obviously have the first opportunity to own a FlipSteady for their Ativ.

Update 2 - 01/12/13 - 8:30 AM
    At this moment I have received 17 reservations from forum members.
    Last edited by Routb3d; 01-12-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added links

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: FlipSteady case for Ativ and series 7

Here is a view of the FlipSteady for the ASUS EP121..

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by Routb3d View Post
    Here is a view of the FlipSteady for the ASUS EP121..
    Isiaiah,

This looks like an excellent product. I am looking for something to protect my Ativ 500T while it is disconnected from the keyboard, which can stay on while attached to the keyboard. Protection for the keyboard is not important.

The main reason I need something like this is that if I intent to unwind on a train, there is sometimes not enough space for the keyboard and it may get scratched. If I intent to take it into meetings and take notes, again, I don't want to take the keyboard in. But I do not want the back to get scratched or damaged while I take notes. This product looks like it would suit all purposes, provided I can attach the keyboard with it.

If you would like an help in developing or testing your product, please do not hesitate to give me a shout.

Martin - UK

Actually, I've just thought that since the 500T and 700T are the same length and width, but different depths, you could in fact produce the same case, but with some sort of sponge or cloth insert to take into account the slimmer 500T. Sure, this might create additional bulk (negligible), but would reduce your development costs.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mnbrennan View Post
    Actually, I've just thought that since the 500T and 700T are the same length and width, but different depths, you could in fact produce the same case, but with some sort of sponge or cloth insert to take into account the slimmer 500T. Sure, this might create additional bulk (negligible), but would reduce your development costs.
    I am actually working on the 2nd generation of the product for the iPad / iPad mini which involves way less sewing and implements a new method to make a fabric covered bent metal bracing for the attachment to the back. This new method and design allows for the cover to sit %100 flush to the screen rather than resting on the bracing from the back. Using this new method I would certainly need to make 2 separate versions of the case that are made with slightly different tooling which is no sweat with modern tech. My main concern at this point is my ability to work around the keyboard dock in both instances. I simply have to get my hands on one of these tablets in order to test fit and play. Once that happens I can generally have a working prototype in a few days. If I decide to try for the Ativ I will post my progress here in this thread. I would like to see some enthusiasm from Ativ users first so I can be confident that my work will be well received. We will see.. I made a lot of happy ASUS EP121 users and I still move a few cases a week even though the EP121 is showing its age.. The people who own my cases generally become big fans sighting that it is their favorite case for any device.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil inc.
    FlipSteady, , Origami Inspired Tablet Stand

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I would to have one for the 500T without the keyboard, only the tablet.
    Please do not forget to deliver in France too.

And do not forget to make the flip stay closed (elastic, magnetic, other)
    Last edited by thierryb; 01-06-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    HP TM2-1000 (feb 2010)
    HP Slate 500 (March 2011)
    Asus EEE Slate EP121 (March 2011)
    Samsung Ativ 500T (nov 2012)
    2 x Asus VivoTab Note 8 (jan 2014 and march 2014)

I am actually working on the 2nd generation of the product for the iPad / iPad mini which involves way less sewing and implements a new method to make a fabric covered bent metal bracing for the attachment to the back. This new method and design allows for the cover to sit %100 flush to the screen rather than resting on the bracing from the back. Using this new method I would certainly need to make 2 separate versions of the case that are made with slightly different tooling which is no sweat with modern tech. My main concern at this point is my ability to work around the keyboard dock in both instances. I simply have to get my hands on one of these tablets in order to test fit and play. Once that happens I can generally have a working prototype in a few days. If I decide to try for the Ativ I will post my progress here in this thread. I would like to see some enthusiasm from Ativ users first so I can be confident that my work will be well received. We will see.. I made a lot of happy ASUS EP121 users and I still move a few cases a week even though the EP121 is showing its age.. The people who own my cases generally become big fans sighting that it is their favorite case for any device.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil inc.
    FlipSteady, , Origami Inspired Tablet Stand
    Sounds like you have a genuinely interesting product to market.

To give you some food for thought, here are a few images of the keyboard attachment to the screen, although I'm sure you have done plenty of research on the matter. I just thought it might help.

Name:  IMAG0601.jpg
Views: 2854
Size:  95.7 KBName:  IMAG0602.jpg
Views: 2808
Size:  97.3 KBName:  IMAG0603.jpg
Views: 2791
Size:  95.7 KBName:  IMAG0604.jpg
Views: 2850
Size:  96.2 KBName:  IMAG0605.jpg
Views: 2853
Size:  85.6 KB

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mnbrennan View Post
    Sounds like you have a genuinely interesting product to market.

To give you some food for thought, here are a few images of the keyboard attachment to the screen, although I'm sure you have done plenty of research on the matter. I just thought it might help.
    Thanks for the pics.. These help. I can definately see that it will be a challenge to capture the device without interfering with the dock. I may need to make the bottom 2 (docking side) corners easily slip off but I imagine that any bracing that comes to the front of the tablet will create a thickness and therefor a gap between the screen and the keyboard when the case is closed. To be honest, the combination of the tablet and the dock look tightly enough integrated that it may be best to remove the protective cover all together when the table is being used with the dock... I'm not sure it would make sense to have an accessory case at that point.. I'm not ruling out the possibility..

Thanks for the pics.. These help. I can definately see that it will be a challenge to capture the device without interfering with the dock. I may need to make the bottom 2 (docking side) corners easily slip off but I imagine that any bracing that comes to the front of the tablet will create a thickness and therefor a gap between the screen and the keyboard when the case is closed. To be honest, the combination of the tablet and the dock look tightly enough integrated that it may be best to remove the protective cover all together when the table is being used with the dock... I'm not sure it would make sense to have an accessory case at that point.. I'm not ruling out the possibility..
    Very well pointed out - in fact the gap between the screen and the keyboard in very small. There is a slight lip there, but it may not be enough to attach something to. Indeed if it is the case that the cover needs to be removed or slip off, its still something which would be useful. Lets hope more people get behind this!

Pen Pal - Newbie

If seen other cases for the 500T that technically work for the 700t but what concerns me is that they seal off the ventilation. Do you plan on addressing that?

Thread Information