Smart PC Pro 700T - Keyboard Problems?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    rpo
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Smart PC Pro 700T - Keyboard Problems?

Is anyone else having issues with the keyboard for the 700T connecting and disconnecting constantly? Mine will connect and disconnect about once a second even when it is sitting still on a stable surface. It is completely useless.

I noticed a large percentage of Amazon reviewers are commenting on the same problem. I purchased mine from Amazon, but exchanging it is not an option since they "do not know when or even if they will receive more 700T's from Samsung".

Samsung wants me to ship the computer across the country via ground (one week) where it will then take "7+ business days for repair", and then they only ship the computer back via ground (another week). So....after waiting two months for delivery, I am stuck hoping Samsung will manage to repair the tablet by Christmas. Due to their botched release date fiasco, I have this strong feeling that their repair facility will not have the replacement parts needed to fix the tablet as well.

On a positive note, the computer is easily disassembled and still uses a standard mSATA SSD. I will be replacing mine with a 256GB SSD once it is repaired.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Smart PC Pro 700T - Keyboard Problems?

I wonder what Samsung actually does during the repair and if the solution fixes the issue 100%. The 500T's also have disconnect issues, which is what I have. I believe it's inherent to the design. If I play with the tablet position on the dock, I can get the disconnects down, but they still happen. I guess it would be nice to know if it works perfect for anyone.

rpo
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ggoldfingerd View Post
    I wonder what Samsung actually does during the repair and if the solution fixes the issue 100%. The 500T's also have disconnect issues, which is what I have. I believe it's inherent to the design. If I play with the tablet position on the dock, I can get the disconnects down, but they still happen. I guess it would be nice to know if it works perfect for anyone.
    A few reviewers on Amazon have said they were able to swap just the keyboard with another one at a Microsoft store. That apparently fixed the problem, so it appears to be a design issue with the keyboard. That swap would probably only work if you bought the tablet from a Microsoft store though.

Quote Originally Posted by rpo View Post
    A few reviewers on Amazon have said they were able to swap just the keyboard with another one at a Microsoft store. That apparently fixed the problem, so it appears to be a design issue with the keyboard. That swap would probably only work if you bought the tablet from a Microsoft store though.
    mine was really bad. i mean really bad, on the bed it would disconnect constantly and even when typing on a table. ive seemed to have found a fix for it tho. i took two pages of 8.5x11 sheets of paper and folded it over and stuck it into the dock. next you take your tablet and insert it into the dock with the paper and tada! tight fitting connection and no disconnects. its a ugly fix but hey it works. too bad the tablet has other issues with it as well.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpo View Post
    Hi rpo, i managed to swap my keyboard for the keyboard of a display model at the store i originally purchased mine from and it fixed the problem as the fault is definitely with the keyboard itself not the tablet.

Also any chance you could explain the how you opened it up i would like to swap my ssd for a larger one too but don't want to damage the case first.

I have been testing the ATIV 500T for about 4 weeks with keyboard dock and never had an issue with the keyboard dock. It was solid! I just got the ATIV 700T for Christmas, my wife gave me this great gift but having keyboard disconnect issues. Very bad! I already exchanged the first one and got another one and this one is also doing the same thing. I have till the end of January to return it and either get my money back or get another one. I really like the 700T tablet. I was really enjoying the 12 hour battery life from the ATIV 500T but I can't use as a full desktop replacement as I can with the 700T.

I might bring the ATIV 700T with me to CES 2013 for editing my videos with CyberLink PowerDirector 11 which I have just loaded up but haven't had a chance to edit any videos yet. Still testing the keyboard dock and if it continues I will just take my Series 7 Slate that I used last year which worked well. On the show floor I will be carrying my Galaxy Note II and my Acer W510 and leaving the ATIV 700T or Series 7 Slate at the room to edit.

I have been using the 700T for about 3 weeks so far and have had no issues at all with my keyboard disconnecting. I have used it on the bed, in my lap, and on a table and it has never disconnected. There is definitely a manufacturing issue with some of the keyboards. If you can get a keyboard without the issue then it really is great to use with the tablet. The tablet itself has been excellent.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I agree. I am on my second 700t and have no problems with this one so far. Hopefully Samsung is getting enough returns that they found the keyboard defect. Send it back and hopefully you will get a later build model.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I must have had the bad luck - My 700t I sent back had very few issues with disconnects and the one they sent back (All the system was replaced and My back put on - so they said) and now I have a ton of issues. However, I did put some electrical tape on the right side in the dock and I haven't had a disconnect in 2 days ... Im hoping its not temporary.

Guys how things going?
    Any update on disconnection matters and any solutions (like electrical tape for example)?
    I have constant disconnections with the minimum movement of the tablet when docked...

Thread Information