To everyone who own a Slate, please post you batchnumber/modelnummer and state of screen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default To everyone whom own a Slate, please post you batchnumber/modelnummer and state of screen

I think it would be a good idea to try and find some sort of pattern, since almost all people here have screen separation.
    If you own a Slate please post your serial number.

Let us know what state your screen is in. (lifting/non lifting) This way maybe we can detect a pattern and find out which batch seems to have the weaker adhesive and which ones seem to be the good ones!

THis is an example of how the serial number looks, couresy of Steve; HLVJ93CBB002xxP and here are changing numbers and letters: HLVJ93CBB002xxP

Big thank you to Deathdemon, who provided the following info;
    HLVJ93CBA002xxP

"P is just a control digit, so it does not make much sense to guess by it if device quality is good or bad;
    002xx is the serial number itself;
    A is the month of manufacture. 1-9 here are January-September, A is October, B is November and C is December.
    B is the year of manufacture. B corresponds to 2011, C corresponds to 2012.

There is no info what the remaining characters mean, but seems that they indicate model and possibly some other minor changes. I hope Samsung had a good reason to change HLVJ93C to HLVJ93K, and hope that it's somehow connected to resolving quality issues, but it's just my guess."

So far we have the following (Updating when I can):

BA 11 Good 20 Bad (October)

BB 21 Good 13 Bad
    (November)

BC 1 Bad (December)

KBC 1 bad

CBC 2 Good

New variation in the serial number is KBB instead of the usual CBB

KBB 3 Good

FBB 1 Good

Reports are that people with screen separation say their Slates "creaked" when flexed, and the new replacements do not have this creaking.

The bevel might be slightly uneven in some cases still, but the affected areas cannot be "pushed down", suggesting that adhesive has been applied, in some cases a bit more than others but the creaking is not there.

Weight seems to be the same, though the new "solid" feeling may result in it feeling heavier.
    Last edited by timpaatkins; 01-19-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Super Moderator

Default Re: To everyone who own a Slate, please post you batchnumber/modelnummer and state of screen

I would suggest that for those who are willing to do it, posting your Serial Number would be the best way to try to track this.

Note that although you can find the S/N printed on your box, the S/N printed on the back of your slate (at bottom center on the back cover; the numbers are not easy to see because they are in dark gray) has an additional suffix letter. Please be sure to include that letter! In talking to other members, I am aware of at least three suffix letters: D, P and X.

To get the ball rolling, my S/N is: HLVJ93CBB002xxP
    Delivery date was 15Nov11

My screen appears to be perfect and the back feels solid.
    Last edited by Steve S; 11-18-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: To everyone who own a Slate, please post you batchnumber/modelnummer and state of screen

Awesome Steve, lets hope that the perfect "pīs" start flowing in!
    Last edited by timpaatkins; 11-18-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Scribbler - Standard Member

SN: HLVJ93CBA02xxxE

Screen and back feel fine. picked up at a Microsoft store on the 10th.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Screen appears to be coming unglued at the bottom between the Windows button and the right side of the screen. Grr. I pushed it back down, seems to be holding, but I'm probably going to try exchanging it next week regardless before the 14 days are up.
    Last edited by thecakeisalie; 11-19-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by thecakeisalie View Post
    SN: HLVJ93CBA02xxxE

Screen and back feel fine. picked up at a Microsoft store on the 10th.
    Awesome, we have an "e" too!

Thats a good idea actually, post where you bought them too!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

HLVJ93CBB009xxX

Screen separating lower left side and especially near the power plug.
    Surface Pro 2 256GB
    Surface Pro 64GB (still in the family)
    Samsung S7S (memory problem; replaced w/ SP1)
    Fujitsu Q550 (sold)
    Motion LE1700 (retired)
    HP TC1100 (old friend, but still sold)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

HLVJ93CBA008xxE
    Separating all around

Well this is my offering, fwiw...

HLVJ93CBA006xxD

Ordered on 10/08/11, received on 11/04/11.

Had the "no sleave" - "image printed on box" packaging.

Everything is perfect so far:

No bezel lift, no flex really, had a few dead pixels once in a while but never the same and haven't seen any in a week.

And it's a D - go figure.

sabby

HLVJ93CBA004xxR

Bought at MS Store Seattle 10/20/11

Pretty solid, maybe 0.5 mm lift near the charging port, not able to be pushed in. No visible dead pixels, no dust.

That said, I feel like my Fujitsu Q550 had higher build quality. Maybe because it was "Made in Japan?"

Cancel that, I think mine's starting to come unglued after using the dock a few times (I updated my first post).

Thread Information