Series 7 Slate Disassembly? - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Series 7 Slate Disassembly?

Here is are some pictures of a breakdown for one of the Build units as well as a link to the forum where I found it. From what I can see you are correct that our units are missing two antennas(WWAN) as well as the SIM slot. I wonder if it would be possible to identify the SIM slot and solder one to the board? My guess is that we will need to get a good look under that black shielding tape for both units:

SSD Upgrade?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

PeterF,
    Is that the mSATA SSD in the upper right hand corner? I have a 256 GB 1.8" mSATA SSD in my Fujitsu P1630. Will this fit in the S7S?

Thanks for posting the pictures!
    Best Regards,
    Mike Redmon

Motion M1400VA (still own)
    Samsung Q1 Ultra Premium (still own)
    Fujitsu P1630 (still own)
    Samsung 700T, 128GB SSD, Win8 Pro(current tablet)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

mSATA/ micro SATA (1.8" SATA, like 2.5" SATA but slightly different pin layout and @ 3.3V) equals not Mini PCI/ miniSATA/ whatever the heck the 'not-standard' is (the new one the SAmsung Series 7 has, it is like a miniPCI Wi Fi card, except it has a SATA signal transmitted over it and it is a different size/ shape than a Wi-Fi card)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    mSATA/ micro SATA (1.8" SATA, like 2.5" SATA but slightly different pin layout and @ 3.3V) equals not Mini PCI/ miniSATA/ whatever the heck the 'not-standard' is (the new one the SAmsung Series 7 has, it is like a miniPCI Wi Fi card, except it has a SATA signal transmitted over it and it is a different size/ shape than a Wi-Fi card)
    mini SATA is a standard now. But yes, the names are confusing. You would think micro SATA would be the smallest one, but microSATA is the 1.8" drive while miniSATA is the pci-E connector type.

Yes the SSD is the card in the top right.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

but microSATA is the 1.8" drive while miniSATA is the pci-E connector type.
    So what format does the S7S use....microSATA or miniSATA? I have a 1/8" 256GB microSATA SSD in my Fujitsu that I'm just itching to install if the S7S uses microSATA interface....

The one in the pictures looks like a pci-e type interface! That would probably equate to the miniSATA type!
    Best Regards,
    Mike Redmon

Motion M1400VA (still own)
    Samsung Q1 Ultra Premium (still own)
    Fujitsu P1630 (still own)
    Samsung 700T, 128GB SSD, Win8 Pro(current tablet)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

1.8" Micro SATA = your Fujitsu & SSD (as well as other devices like the HP 2730p & 2740p; and you can use one of these drives in a 2.5" SATA computer with a cheap $15 adapter -from ebay)

miniSATA = Samsung Series 7 Slate (and EP121, and other devices -it is a increasingly common interface, so it won't be long until we start seeing more options)

Unfortunately there would be no way to use your current 1.8" SSD in a miniPCI device (well, not no-way, but you would have to rig up some odd adapter, then have it all hang out of the casing, which isn't what you were looking for)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got mine open too. Was a bit of a pain as the edges were really glued down on mine...

I started at the USB port but got stuck once I reached the HDMI port. I was worried the pulling apart would damage the plastic so I decided to start at the sim slot instead.

My model of course is the UK model without the sim slot but the little black cover easily clips off.

I found that using a credit card was ruining the seal around the slate so instead I used a softer guitar pick.

As the pick is sharper at the edge, it also gets in better where a credit card wouldn't fit.

The glue had to really be pried apart. It is very brittle so does comes off eventually. I had to use all my finger nails together to yank some bits apart. The hard bit was near the dock connector as the screen totally started coming off and the plastic there would not come off very easily. I had to come in at it from both sides before it came off.

There is a bit of tape sticking the back cover down in the middle but that peels off nicely. The glue around the edge though is a pain as I just about got the thing closed and there are still spots where the cover wont sit right. Once I've installed the new HDD, I'll spot glue those high spots down along with the screen.

I couldn't resist opening up the beast without checking out what else was inside and taking loads of pics!

This is that mSATA drive, soon to be doubled in size!

Under the battery we have a few ribbon cables that connect the different boards. The looping ribbon on the far left connects the motherboard to the wireless board. Yes the motherboard really is that small!

The thick ribbon in the middle goes to the dock connector. The really thin ribbon that goes to the red board is (I think) the touch controller...

The ribbon on the far right goes to the LCD, it goes straight down and does not connect to that red board.

This is the 7.4V 40Wh Lipo...

This is a close up of the red board, the device on it is an Atmel device, couldn't make out the part number, will have a look next time is open it up, hopefully during the daytime

Pen Pal - Newbie

I opened mine a while ago, but only had time to post the pictures now.
    I upgraded the SSD to a 128Gb one, and installed the Option GTM671W, so those are not the original boards.

Close up on the GTM671W. It's missing two antennas, GPS+3G, but i'll install those later.

Here is the SSD, I've installed the MyDigitalSSD 128GB

This is interesting! My S/N is HL8J93CBA002XXM, bought at Circuit City.

Dock close up

High resolution, and the rest of the images are here: 700T Album
    Last edited by gkolotelo; 12-10-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

How do you mean you will be installing 3G and GPS antennas later? it that possible?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

If you replace intel centrino 6230 by GTM671W, you will lose bluetooth, so how do you implement bluetooth function? By a usb adapter?

Thread Information