Windows 8 on S7S Guide

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Windows 8 on S7S Guide

Hey all, I got my S7S yesterday and one of the first things I did was install Windows 8 on it. Does anyone have a guide on how to get things to work with the Slate? Here is what I noticed so far...

- After installation, I noticed that there two devices that didn't have drivers. The SM Bus one could be fixed from the Chipset drives here:
    Samsung
    - The other one is an "unknown device" so I'm not sure how to fix that.
    - Update: The unknown device is the accelerometer. Download the "motion sensor" drivers and install it with Windows 7 compability enabled. Afterwards, right click on desktop and click screen resolution. Check the "allow the screen to auto-rotate". Screen rotation should now work.

- The rotation does not work, I have to manually change the screen orientation from the display settings
    - Update: see above

- Screen lock button does not work but the volume and sleep button works.
    - The home button does not seem to do anything if you push it once, but if you push it twice, it switches applications like and Alt-Tab.
    - Update: Download the Samsung firmware at http://www.samsung.com/us/business/s...XE700T1A-A04US. Install it using Windows 7 compability. After rebooting, the Windows and Screen Lock button should work.

If anyone knows anything else that does not work or anymore fixes/tweaks please post them. Or if there's a guide out there somewhere on the internet, please link it. Thanks!
    Last edited by plnguyen; 11-10-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Windows 8 on S7S Guide

If rotation isn't working, maybe the accelerometer is the other unknown device.

The installer for the accelerometer doesn't work on W8, but if you did a non destructive install of W8 (you still have a folder called Windows(old)) I pointed the "unknown" entry in device manager to the windows(old)/system32 folder and it finds the drivers. Rotation will work but needs to be activated from the resolution menu.

My only issue with W8 that made me revert back to w7 was with the little options power management profiles provided. It was more robust for for this tablet in W7. Was a fun personal experiment tho, not looking forward to relearning windows navigation next year.
    Last edited by Omniscaper; 10-28-2011 at 07:22 PM.

ksj

Quote Originally Posted by plnguyen View Post
    - The home button does not seem to do anything if you push it once, but if you push it twice, it switches applications like and Alt-Tab.
    If you press and hold the Windows button it will take you to the desktop.

Pressing the Windows button and the power button at the same time is the same as Ctrl-Alt-Del and will let you lock the PC, switch users, log off, change your password, or open task manager. You'll need that if you join a domain as you have to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to log in.

Quote Originally Posted by ksj View Post
    If you press and hold the Windows button it will take you to the desktop.

Pressing the Windows button and the power button at the same time is the same as Ctrl-Alt-Del and will let you lock the PC, switch users, log off, change your password, or open task manager. You'll need that if you join a domain as you have to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to log in.
    Ahhh so that's how you Ctrl-Alt-Del. I couldn't figure it out. Thanks.

- If you goto Control Panel --> Windows Mobility Center, there's a screen rotation button and other really convenient shortcuts. I have it running in the background and when I need screen rotation I just change it from there.

Yes... I happen to have a guide for installing Win8 on the Series 7... all the steps you need to have a complete install of Win8TP with all drivers and sensors working with the Win8TP build. I will post it up this weekend or early next week. If you follow the guide you will have everything working with no bangs in device manager and all buttons working as needed for Win8.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Set compatibility mode to Windows 7 for the installer.

Quote Originally Posted by im140.2 View Post
    Yes... I happen to have a guide for installing Win8 on the Series 7... all the steps you need to have a complete install of Win8TP with all drivers and sensors working with the Win8TP build. I will post it up this weekend or early next week. If you follow the guide you will have everything working with no bangs in device manager and all buttons working as needed for Win8.
    Cool. I would love to get the lock screen rotation button working.

Quote Originally Posted by plnguyen View Post
    Cool. I would love to get the lock screen rotation button working.
    Yep, you can get it to work. (BTW..the rotation lock screen just check/unchecks the "allow automatic rotation" checkbox in the display settings (but you will not see this unless the accel sensor driver is installed correctly.)

Thread Information