*Official* Samsung Series 7 Slate Thread - Page 22

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 203 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    (x) / fashion

Default Re: *Official* Samsung Series 7 Slate Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bxsteez View Post
    Is the digitizer really that bad in the Hp Slate? Is it actually worse that the HTC Flyer? I read somewhere that it was. It was hard for me to believe but i figured i'd throw it out there.
    Bronsky got better results by using his Slate 500 with a replacement pen he bought from HP. So some of the inking problems in the Slate were a byproduct of the original pen.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Is the digitizer really that bad in the Hp Slate? Is it actually worse that the HTC Flyer? I read somewhere that it was. It was hard for me to believe but i figured i'd throw it out there.
    I returned that thing after 3 days of messing with pen calibration and drivers. It was miserable. Worst inking experience of any device I've ever used.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The HP Slate 500 was the first device to employ N-trigs Digital Pencil tech. Being that it was the first, its also the worst. With every new tablet that uses it however...they seem to be gradually improving the tech.

However it should be worth noting that some of N-trig issues on the HP Slate are Windows Specific. The pen construction/tip noise aside, my biggest beefs with the Slates N-trig Pencil is the near useless Wintab driver which most wintab needed programs either won't recognize or work horribly with it. The hovering accuracy is also noticeably less accurate and slower then wacoms.

However, those two specific beefs are not an issue on the Android Platform. The Android OS is cursor-less so there is no hovering. And there are very few art apps for Android and none that require wintab.
    Last edited by darkmagistric; 09-21-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    Lenovo X-61 Tablet - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb ram
    Gateway C-120X - 1.06 ghz, 2 gb ram (dead)
    Hp TC1100 - 1.1 ghz, 1.5 gb ram
    Ls800 - 1.2 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Eee PC T-91, 1.3 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Ipad 16gb Wi-FI (it does count as a tablet)
    HP Slate 500 - 1.86 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Asus Ep121 - 1.33 ghz, 4gb ram
    Samsung Series 7 Slate - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb of ram

Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow I guess it is a pretty bad experience overall. I was really excited about the slate too. Then they had production issues and then all these horrid inking reviews. I've had tablets before but they were in the early life of the tablet days and my biggest issue because that i could create the documents with no problem but since the device was so slow there was no point in reading the devices on the tablet. Then I was just like there is no point in creating the documents on the tablet if i have to print them out just to read them. So i dropped the idea until the ASUS ep121 but i couldn't find one and then i heard about this Samsung so this is my next try at the Windows Tablet.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The HP Slate 500 has 4 operating modes.

Pen only : Touch disabled. Inking experience was fine for me. I used this when in OneNote, etc.
    Touch only : Pen disabled.
    Auto : Once the pen is detected touch is disabled until you double-tap on the screen with your finger. Inking experience OK for general use, not suitable for when inking lots of info (OneNote, Email, etc.) I leave the slate in this mode most often.
    Duo : Both the pen and touch always work. Relies upon detecting pen hover for palm rejection. Most problematic mode, inking experience is horrible.

This is also a case of "you don't know what you are missing". If you have never used a Wacom digitizer then the nTrig will probably be fine for you.

It is worth noting that Windows 8 significantly improved the inking experience for me on the HP Slate. I definitely recommend installing Windows 8 Dev Preview. My HP Slate with Windows 8 experience has been so good that I am now reconsidering purchasing the Samsung Series 7. I am now leaning towards waiting for a future device that has a fanless design.
    Samsung Smart PC Pro Tablet | Windows 8 Pro | 11.6" LED HD (1920x1080) | Intel Core I5 1.7ghz | 4GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Wacom (SPen) Digitizer | 1.9 lbs

Super Moderator

<<...Can anyone who has the Series 7 slate from the Build conference just measure the size and weight of this tablet?..>>

mitt: A new Samsung video just hit YouTube, and the overall dimensions were displayed:

184.0 mm X 296.1 mm x 12.9 mm

7.24" X 11.66" X 0.51"

Weight is either 1.96 lb or 2.06 lb, depending upon what source you believe.

See:

Samsung Series 7 Slate: Powerful, Slick, and the Best Windows Slate to Date Discussion
    Last edited by Steve S; 09-26-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,
    Do you think the 7 Slate would be suitable for engineering work?
    From your experience do you think it is going to be good build quality (able to survive accidents? For the price it is very very attractive.
    Should I get the X220 tablet or the Samsung 7 Slate?
    T900H user (default config with i7 620M)

Desktop (custom):
    HAF 932 CASE
    GIGABYTE UD5-B3 1155 MOTHERBOARD
    i5-2500K CPU OVERCLOCKED
    4GB G SKILLED 1600 MHZ
    GIGABYTE GTX 570
    1TB WD 7,200 BLACK EDITION
    640GB WD 7,200 GREEN 24/7 EDITION
    500GB WD 7,200 GREEN 24/7 EDITION
    thermaltake 775 Watt PSU

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by 5567729 View Post
    Hey guys,
    From your experience do you think it is going to be good build quality (able to survive accidents? For the price it is very very attractive.
    It depends what the 'engineering work' entails. My Q550 does 'engineering work' for me; marking up documents, Office 2010, OneNote, sketches and drawings, etc. It is not powerful enough to review prints, but the Series 7 should be.

Samsung builds good stuff at a very good value. We have not heard if they plan to achieve Military grade for drops and dust like the Q550/CL900 so stay tuned for more information when it is released.

As far as the X220 vs the Series 7 goes, well, these are different tools. If the two were cars the Series 7 would be a Camaro and the X220 would be an Impala. The 7 will be smaller, lighter, and more portable but still have power while the X220 is larger, heavier, more storage, more ports, and able to turn into a laptop. How you need to use it will determine which is better.

The lack of a real SD card slot and the 16:9 screen have me turned off, personally.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    As far as the X220 vs the Series 7 goes, well, these are different tools.
    Really different. ThinkPads are tough!
    Lenovo ThinkPad X1 laptop gets dropped from ceiling - YouTube

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5567729 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm an ECE engineering student, but I study more of theoretical stuff, so performance isn't a big issue for me, at least not yet.

If you do a lot of drawing with the digitizer, then X220T is an awful product. It has severe problems with writing on the edges. I returned mine because of this. See the official forum for more info. Still no news from Lenovo. The problem seems to be coming from the metal frames disrupting magnetic fields. Nobody knows if the Samsung Slate has these digitizer problems, or if it does, how severe it will be.

If it wasn't the pen problem for X220T, it would have been a great notebook. Oh, the 16:9 ratio really sucks btw(applies for both Lenovo and Samsung). Price wise, X220T can be had for $1250 with i5-2520m, 4GB ram, BT, webcam, multitouch, 3yr warranty, and so on. Samsung Slate i'm eyeing at is the $1350 with 128GB SSD, 4GB ram, dock, BT keyboard, digitizer.

If you need a lot of CPU power, the Slate might be too weak. CPU passmark says the ULV i5 is almost half as fast as i5-2410m/2520m, and little more than twice as fast from the ancient LV7500 (LV Core2Duo 1.6GHz).

I'm desperately waiting for the Slate to come out with real user reviews on battery life, heat, noise, and pen edge accuracy (pen accuracy is the most significant factor for me). Battery life, heat, and noise are all kind of tied together.

Downside of the Samsung Slate is that it only supports microSD, RAM is not expandable, USB 2.0 only (X220T is also USB 2.0 only). So depending on the reviews, I might wait another year for the IvyBridge slates.

Thread Information