Panasonic C1 Review

+ Reply to Thread
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Panasonic C1 Review

Google Translate

In Japanese, thus the google translate link. Anyone know what app that is for on-screen annotation?

Highlights:
    * About 5 hours battery life with the single battery for normal usage
    * Scores well in the official Final Fantasy XI benchmarks
    * Does not auto-rotate, once you press the button the screen orientation will adjust appropriately.
    * Nicely spec'd (i5-520, 6gb ram, etc.) for about $3k
    Last edited by lolland; 06-30-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Panasonic C1 Review

I just received last week a C1, model CF-C1ADACZ6M. I haven't played with it much, and I am new to Tablet PCs, but here are a few impressions, based on comparisons to a Fujitsu T730 I also recently received--

1-very light! Taking it out of the box without the battery inserted, it felt like an empty shell. With the battery, it is still very light, noticeably lighter than the T730 with space saver instead of DVD. I usually carry a EeePC 901 in my bag all the time because it is so light (about 2.5 pounds), but I may switch to this C1 (supposedly 3.2 pounds, but I have yet to put it on the scale).

2-keyboard a bit small. In comparison to the T730, both cases are the same width, but the C1's keyboard is significantly smaller because it does not extend as much to the edges like the T730 does.

3-performance is snappy, but it's hard to compare the C1 (i5, 250 GB HD) to the T730 (i7, with added aftermarket 128MB Crucial C300 SSD)--the upgraded T730 is much faster in daily use, due to the SSD.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Would you mind putting up some higher-res photos and maybe a video? All that's available online is the Panasonic marketing guy talking!

Pen Pal - Newbie

If it is anything like a tablet version of the amazing Let's Note W-5 (and it looks like it basically is) then this machine is going to be a huge winner!

My wife and I bought two of those things and, even though they were expensive, they were the perfect blend of great performance, durability and extremely light weight. Can't wait to see these next time we're in Japan!

Also note this other thread here about the C1:
    Panasonic Toughbook C1 Tablet

Pen Pal - Newbie

I see my question might seem a lot illogic but can I compare between ep121 and panasonic C ?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by HanRah View Post
    I see my question might seem a lot illogic but can I compare between ep121 and panasonic C ?
    I might need to explain my question a little bit.. I am buying a PC as main system and I need it as multitouch screen with good pen for quick notes input.. the slate seems very well for me (answered in another thread) but I am afraid of the low HD space 64GB ..

Quote Originally Posted by HanRah View Post
    I might need to explain my question a little bit.. I am buying a PC as main system and I need it as multitouch screen with good pen for quick notes input.. the slate seems very well for me (answered in another thread) but I am afraid of the low HD space 64GB ..
    The best place to check if the EP121 or B121 is something for you is to read the experiences and reviews in the EP121 forum:
    EP121 Slate

I was considering the Panasonic Toughbook C1 and now own an Asus EP121. I am not sure if there are many people who have seen both the Panasonic C1 and the EP121. I have.

I went to Panasonic Netherlands to get hands-on experience. It is a great machine with excellent ideas, such as the exchangeable HDD and batteries. The keyboard is almost flawless (the keys on the sides are a bit smaller than usual). However, I was very disappointed about the screen quality of the version that they had in the showroom (it was the version with the touchscreen that can be used with gloves, but no pen support). It was a typical TN-screen with strong colorshifting effects when held under an angle. It is likely that other versions of the C1 have better screens, but for EUR 2200 or more, I don't want to have any uncertainty.

Couple of things to consider:
    Price
    For the price that I paid for my EP121, I could have bought even 2 and still paid less than the C1.

Screen
    The EP121 has probably one of the best screens in a Windows convertible or Windows tablet with pen support.

Battery
    Being only 1.2 kg and slim (for a fully powered Windows-pc, that is), there is not much room for a big battery. Asus could have made it replaceable, though. Serious design flaw. There is a workaround, though: look for threads about Energizer XP18000 in the EP121 forum. I own 2 of these and it works better than internal batteries to some extent (the fact that you can recharge the 2nd battery apart from the tablet: XP18000 tip now available ).

HDD
    The C1 has a 2.5" bay that even can be exchanged. It should be possible to buy a second drive bay, but I could not find more information about that. I wanted to get this for the C1 (I was strongly considering it), so that I could have one drive for personal use and 1 drive for business use. There are now 2.5"/9.5mm drives of 1TB, so that is perfect if you need fast internal storage.
    The EP121 has a tiny SSD drive (even smaller than 1.8"). You can replace this with a 128GB drive, if you want superfast internal storage for a high price. Read one of the sticky threads in the EP121 forum.
    Another workaround or option for the EP121 is to use a 64GB SDXC card as a semi-internal but still exchangeable storage option. It is not fast (slower than external HDD over USB 2.0, but sufficient for documents and even playing FLAC music files)

Weight / size / handling
    The C1 was the lightest convertible when it came out (1.6 kg with one battery, if I recall correctly). The bare EP121 is 1.15 kg. If you (like me) carry it with the included folio case and the Bluetooth keyboard, you end up with a similar weight, though.

There is one thing that I totally dig about the EP121: you are totally free to place the keyboard and screen anywhere and anyhow that you want. They are not attached in any way, so you are free to place the screen somewhere near you and only have the keyboard on your lap. Also you are free to pick any BT-keyboard if you don't like the included one (I like the included one, though). This means that you can also put the screen in portrait mode while typing on the wireless keyboard, something that a convertible only allows you if you purchase a keyboard separately.

Performance
    Both the C1 and EP121 have Core-i5 processors. Note that the EP121 has the more more powersaving version, UM-version. The C1 has the M-version, which is more powerful but also uses more energy.

Connectivity
    The Asus EP121 has a minimalistic, tablet use-focused design when it comes to connectivity. It has 2 nicely placed USB 2.0 ports (same as C1 - it has 3 of them, but no USB 3.0 on either) and an SDXC card reader/writer (something that the C1 lacks). The EP121 focuses on wireless connectivity with Bluetooth 3.0 and Wifi-N (150 Mbps, though, not 300 Mbps).
    The C1 also has USB 2.0 ports, on top of that gigabit ethernet but also the (dated) PCMCIA extension cards (Type II), not the newer ExpressCard standard.
    Both have the option to connect an external digital monitor. The EP121 does this with a built-in mini-HDMI port (1920x1200 pixels maximum). The C1 requires the docking station, which is an extra investment.

Also consider the Lenovo X220T convertible
    If you (like me, before I bought the EP121) have the money for a Panasonic C1, you may also want to consider the recently released Lenovo X220T convertible. There are different versions, but one of versions has an IPS-screen (similar to the AFFS+-screen of the EP121). Read my ramblings about the X220T vs the EP121 in this post: How future proof is the ep121? .

For me the EP121 is a desktop replacement as well. I have to use and external USB 2.0 750GB drive to make it complete and work on my big archive of RAW photos. For other files, such as documents and FLAC/OGG/MP3 files, a Transcend 64GB SDXC is sufficient and more portable.

Also I needed to invest in 2 extra Energizer XP18000 batteries to become truly independent of the mains.

Choosing between the EP121 and the C1, I would still pick the EP121. Now that the Lenovo X220T is out, that is a good alternative, but also at double the price, at least here in Europe.

I had this laptop for about a month and have a review of it on this site. Very cool and light with great features like the strap and dome which make it fantastic to hold. Unfortunately, it was let down badly by the screen quality. The colour shifts were so bad on the vertical plane, it was near impossible to use in portrait mode. Colours were also badly washed out. This couldve been a fantastic product, but the screen quality was simply pathetic. It was eventually returned.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the useful comparison. I am totally convinced with the ep121. Being one click far from buying it (being in japan is troublesome to buy from amazon us), I just found the news for the new samsung series 7 slate with extended battery life and higher HD.
    with an ethernet on the docking stage. These might be the better options I see. Is it worth waiting to see it relaesed or just preorder it ? or it is not worth: the ep121 is still better? need advice, please

Thread Information