Itronix IX325 Disassembly documentation and photos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    retarded user

Default Itronix IX325 Disassembly documentation and photos

Hi all!
    I like your forums here.
    I am a bit new to the whole tablet computer side, although i have been wanting one for several years now, i finally broke down and bid on one on ebay. I won this Itronix Go Book Duo Touch tablet pc. and me being the type of person that likes to take stuff apart and modify it. i was eager to take a screwdriver to it and see what is inside.
    My normal forums ( www.audioforums.com ) that i hang out at is more for audio and computer recording and i doubt that the folks over there would appreciate the information so i am posting the information here.
    I do hope someone finds the information useful.

here is a link to my page detaining the disassembly of the PC.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dhbm7jfj_12d5czgzct

cheers!
    Last edited by sabianq; 01-14-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Proud Member of the PFJ!

Default Re: Itronix IX325 Disassembly documentation and photos

very interesting... whats the performance like, and what kind of OS is on it? It looks like windows because of the program title... It might be a not too shabby UMPC.

Right... I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."
    But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.
    Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl
    -The Four Yorkshiremen-

retarded user

hey, thanks for responding,

the Itronix duo touch uses the Intel® Pentium® M 733 Ultra Low Voltage at 1.1 GHz Processor. there is 1280 MB of ram (256 MB of internal memory soldered on to the MOBO)

here is what the detailed specifications say:
    512MB (PC2700) DDR SDRAM Standard (DDR333)
    Upgradeable up to a Maximum 1280MB (with one 1024MB SODIMM)

with a memory slot nestled above the soldered in memory. this particular PC has a 1024 MB DDR card installed. the specs say that this is the most amount of memory the pc can handle. but the chip set is the Mobile Intel® 915GM and intel says "the 915GM Express chipset supports up to 2 GB of DDR2"

This PC has a 40 GB shock mounted Haitachi 5k400 hard drive and there is room to place a hard drive heater under it which ironically is the same size of another hard drive. I called the manufacturer and they dont know what the second connector is for under the HDD. they suggested i contact the the design team. (although i serously doubt that they will give me any information relating to that.

The hard drive is partitioned so that there is a recovery partition.
    the installed operating system is Microsoft® Windows XP® Tablet PC® Edition 2005 and is not embedded.

you can boot to the bios post screen just by pressing the enter key when it is booting up. another thing to note is that the bios detects any memory storage device that is attached to the PC and they can be configured to be bootable. if you have a multi card reader hooked up the the usb port, the bios shows the card reader as an option for boot sequence.

these computers have shown up on ebay recently as factory reconditioned units selling for about 600 bucks.

my general impression og the Go-book Duo touch after having it and working with it for over a week now is a bit of a "love-not so much like" relationship.

I love the fact that you can switch between the touch screen and the digital wacom pen with a touch of the button. this makes using the digital ink easy and typing is easy by switching to the touch pad option.

the computer is quite powerful. i loaded Adobe Production Suite CS2 with Premiere and Encore. the programs could be faster loading but i think that is a bottle neck in the Hard drive interface, maybe a faster hard drive would help.

but when loaded, there seems to be no problem with working in photoshop on medium sized files (800x600). and premiere seems to zip along well without to much of an issue. until you unplug the computer. the the processor goes into super slow mode and the clock frequency drops to 600 mhz to conserve battery life. but on a side note, i found an application that lets you throttle the processor speed either dynamically or manually depending on the work that is needed for output.

The screen size is quite small with an 800x600 8.4 inch vertical viewable area.
    but the specifications of the PC and the software state that a secondary display through the expansion port supports:

"a maximum of QXGA (2048 x 1536) resolutions up to 100-Hz refresh rate, dependent upon external monitor capability, and resolution and color depth settings"

I have to wonder if the monitor can be reconfigured to take advantage of this secondary display option.

here are the published specifications of this PC.

Display 8.4” Transmissive SVGA Outdoor display with Digitizer Control Panel or optional passive
    touch screen
    Typical Configurations
    Processor Intel® Pentium® M Ultra Low Voltage Processor 733 at 1.1 GHz
    Cache Memory 2 MB L2 Cache
    Memory Standard 512 MB DDR DRAM
    Maximum 1280-MB DDR DRAM
    Integrated Wireless
    Communications
    WWAN GPRS/EDGE or 1xEV-DO, UMTS, Wireless LAN, Bluetooth. (See wireless
    options)
    Hard Drive Shock mounted 2.5” 40GB or 80GB Ruggedized
    Modem 56K Kbps V.92 fax/modem MDC module
    Ethernet 10/100/1000 M bit Ethernet LAN
    Graphics Integrated Intel® Graphics Technology with the 915GM chipset using DVMT 3.0
    Audio Internal microphone and speaker. PCI Audio with AC-97 compliance
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP® Tablet PC® Edition 2005
    Pointing Devices Active Digitizer Touch Screen and Passive touch screen

Wireless Connectivity* Wireless LAN:
    Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection. Integrated Mini-PCI module with internal diversity antennas. IEEE 802.11g
    (54 Mbps) and 802.11b (11 Mbps) dual mode operation. Security: WEP (64-bit, 128-bit), 802.1x (EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, MD5,
    PEAP, LEAP), TKIP, CKIP, WPA2, AES, 802.11i, EAP-FAST, EAP-SIM. Includes Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection
    software.
    Bluetooth: Integrated Class 2 Bluetooth module with internal antenna. Forward and backward compatible with
    Bluetooth 1.1 and Bluetooth 1.2 devices. Supports Adaptive Frequency Hopping (AFH) for effective coexistence
    with WLAN in same system. Supported profiles include Generic Access, Service Discovery, Serial Port, Dial-Up
    Networking, Fax, LAN Access, Generic Object Exchange, File Transfer, Object Push, Synchronization, Personal
    Area Network, Hard Cable Replacement.
    *Available WLAN/WWAN combinations:
    o WLAN integrated with Bluetooth and/or WWAN with or without GPS available with INTEL WLAN (40
    mW)
    GPRS/EDGE: Integrated Sierra Wireless Aircard 775 network card supporting GPRS/EDGE data connections.
    Quad-band 800/900/1800/1900 MHz for all worldwide GSM frequency bands. EDGE MS Class 12 (up to 4 TX, 4
    RX, 5 total). NDIS network driver interface with Watcher network monitoring software included. Also supports dialup
    networking connections, SMS, circuit-switched GSM, multiple APNs.
    CDMA2000 1X EV-DO/1XRTT: Sierra Wireless Aircard 580 for Verizon Broadband Access 1XEV-DO network.
    High speed data access up to 2.4 Mbps. Automatically falls back to Verizon National Access 1XRTT coverage
    where 1XEV-DO not yet available. VZ Access Manager software included.
    UMTS/GPRS: Option Technology UMTS 3G QUAD, 5-band wireless broadband card combining 3G UMTS at
    2100MHz for EMEA markets with quad-band GPRS for 850/1900 MHz US markets and 900/1800 MHz for
    worldwide markets. Supports IPSpec client software for end-to-end secure corporate data exchange and
    synchronization over VPN.
    GPS: Integrated module with externally mounted antenna. 12-channel, L1 GPS, SiRF Binary and NMEA-0183
    protocol messages.

System Unit Dimensions Length: 10.6” (27.0cm); Width: 7.2” (18.4cm); Depth: 1.65” (4.2cm)
    Weight Minimum Under 3.95lbs/1.80kg
    Stand-Alone Power Requirements Nominal Operating Voltage 19VDC
    Maximum Operating Power 33.4W
    Peak Operating Power 41W
    Temperature Operating -20° to 60°C (-4° to 140°F)
    Non-operating (Storage) -55° to 75°C (-67° to 167°F)
    Boot Temperature -20° with hard drive heater
    0°C without hard drive heater
    Relative Humidity Operating, disk accessing MIL STD 810F, Method 507.4: Humidity cycles between
    30°C@85%RH non-condensing and 60°C@95%RH noncondensing
    for ten 24 hour cycles
    Non-operating 5% to 90% relative humidity, 140° F/75° C maximum wet bulb
    temperature
    Shock (vehicle) Operating SAE J1455, pothole shock; 22G top and bottom, 15G front to back,
    7G side to side, 20 msec durations.
    Shock (drop) Non-operating Drop Testing to Mil Std 810F Method 516.5, Procedure IV Modified -
    twenty-six 3 Foot drops to 2" Plywood over concrete. 2 units to
    pass.
    Vibration Operating ASTM 4169-99 Truck Assurance Level II Schedule E. 90 mins each
    axis. With disk access
    Non-operating Mil Std 810F Method 514.5 Procedure I Category 24 Figure 17 and
    Figure 18.
    Operating 0 to 10,000 ft/3,048 m (14.7 to 10.1 psia)
    Maximum Altitude (unpressurized)
    Non-operating 0 to 30,000 ft/9,144 m (14.7 to 4.4 psia)
    Industry Standard Certifications Safety: Bi-Nat Safety Standard CSA 60950-00/ UL - 60950, 3rd Edition Design
    Manual, Version 3.1, EN 60950
    Emissions Standard: CFR 47 Part 15 Subpart B Class B, ANSI C63.4
    EN 55022
    CISPR 22
    AS/NZS 3548
    ICES 003 Class B
    Immunity Standards: EN55024
    Radio Certifications: FCC Parts 15, 22, 24; Canada: 219, 220; European
    R&TTE ETS 300-328
    Modems: FCC Part 68, Industry Canada CS03, and European TBR 21

Transmissive Display
    Dimensions (H x W) 7.80 x 5.65 in/19.82 x 14.36cm
    Diagonal Size 8.4 in/21.34 cm
    Mounting Internal
    Number of Colors 262,144
    Contrast Ratio 350:1 Typical
    Refresh Rate 40 Hz
    Brightness 300 nit typical (five point average taken without Active Digitizer or Passive touch
    screen)

Backlight CCFL
    Character Display 80 x 25
    Total Power Consumption 4.5 W
    Viewing Angle +/-60° Horizontal, +/-40° Vertical (typical)
    External

3D Features
    �� DX9.0 Pixel Shader
    �� LongHorn UI Support: Avalon
    �� OpenGL 1.4 + Extensions Support
    �� Zone Rendering 2 Support
    �� Shadow and Volumetric Texture Support
    �� 10/10/10/2 Texture Format Support
    �� Pyramid & Gaussian Quad Texture Filtering
    Video Features
    �� VMR9 Support
    �� HWMC for MPEG2
    �� Adaptive Deinterlacing
    �� ProcAmp Color Control
    �� Intel® DVMT 3.0
    �� Intel® Smart 2D Display Technology
    Display Features
    �� Dual Independent Display
    �� 6b LVDS 112MP/s per channel w/panel scaling,
    �� 2 single or 1 dual SDVO
    �� UXGA LVDS, QXGA CRT; full VGA
    Power Management
    �� Intel® DPST - Intel® Display Power Saving Technology
    �� Intel® DFGT - Intel® Dual-Frequency Graphics Technology

the manufacture says that this computer can run up to 4 independant radios at the same time

Bluetooth, (GSM, GPRS/EDGE CDMA 1xEV-DO/1xRTT), GPS and Wifi.

the USB port is 2.0 compliant and supplies up to 5V+/- 5%, 500mA maximum.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi sabianq,
    Thanks for sharing the info.
    I plan to get a IX325 for its advertised ruggedness and outdoor readability (DynaVue). However, I am not sure how sensitive is the passive touchscreen (don't care much for the digitizer).
    I would like to know if the IX325 is sensitive to the finger tip. I use touchscreen computers (a toughbook CF-18 and a Fujitsu Stylistic 3500) for outdoor animal behavior data recording. The problem I have is that some (passive) touchscreens are designed to use a fairly sharp pointer to register pressure on the screen (like the Stylistic 3500). Others use less pressure (like the CF-18). The problem is that if high pressure is required I must use a sharp stylus, and I may lose real time data (we time the actions as they occur) when the touch is not recorded. I prefer to record accidental touches rather than lose data.
    So, how sensitive is the IX325 to the finger tip (in passive mode)?
    Second, I understand that the IX325 uses DynaVue technology for sunlight readability (about 300 NIT). The CF-18 does not have such feature, and I have to crank up the brightness to max 450 NIT to see the screen (also in black/white for contrast). The Stylistic 3500 is the R version (outdoor visible, reflective screen). It looks good outside even in color, and has long battery life due to lack of backlight. Have you tested the outdoor visibility on the IX325? How is it in full sun?
    Thanks.

retarded user

i have damaged my screen and i have had no luck in finding a direct replacement.
    (my son dropped a big rock on the face)

so far a mod may be the only solution

however my touch screen still works and the rgb screen still works
    the piece that broke was the glass in between the touch part and the rgb screen
    i am thinking that it maybe possible to replace the broken glass with a piece of polycarbonate the same thickness.
    if i do the modification, i will post it here
    Cheers~

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

I bought 3 pcs of itronix duo touch IX325 with broken touch screens, without hard disks and cables for them. They were very cheap - 20 usd each but without hdd cable they were useless.
    So i have searched some information about them and found that chipset used in this tablets have support for Serial ATA. But how to connect SATA drive to mainboard ?
    On the PCB there was interesting brown connector (near ATA connector), i checked it with multimeter and bingo - this is SATA connector.

So today i constructed a SATA cable, connected SATA drive and everything is working OK. Tablet found new hard disk as ATA HDD and booted from him.

Here is pinout:

1 - GND
    2 - A+
    3 - A-
    4 - GND
    5 - B-
    6 - B+
    7 - GND
    8 - +3.3v
    9 - +3.3v
    10- +3.3v
    11- GND
    12- GND
    13- GND
    14- +5v
    15- +5v
    16- +5v
    17- GND
    18- NC
    19- GND
    20- NC

And some pics

PS - sorry for my english
    Last edited by wiktorsam; 09-11-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings ! I saw your posting on the disassembly, well done ! I also have one of these fine tablets but am in need of a replacement display for it. Other than Itronix, do you know where I may be able to obtain a replacement display for the IX325 ? I'd sincerely appreciate any leads !
    Best regards, ComputerMedic

here is a link to my page detaining the disassembly of the PC.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dhbm7jfj_12d5czgzct

cheers!
    Last edited by Agent 9; 12-22-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings ! I saw your posting on the disassembly, well done ! I also have one of these fine tablets but am in need of a replacement display for it. Other than Itronix, do you know where I may be able to obtain a replacement display for the IX325 ? I'd sincerely appreciate any leads !
    Best regards, ComputerMedic

Pen Pal - Newbie

What did you use for a ribbon cable? Thanks for the suggestion by the way!
    ED

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

Is the IX325 actually the HP TR3000 ?
    HP Rugged Tablet PC tr3000 - North America/U.S. QuickSpecs

I recently obtained a IX325, and i like it !!
    By the way, does anyone know a cheap (replacement) battery for my IX325 ?

And anybody any experience with these car mounts for the IX325?
    http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-itr...cup-mount.html
    Last edited by MikeyC; 08-06-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Thread Information