Itronix IX325 Disassembly documentation and photos - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Itronix IX325 Disassembly documentation and photos

Quote Originally Posted by sabianq View Post
    with a memory slot nestled above the soldered in memory. this particular PC has a 1024 MB DDR card installed. the specs say that this is the most amount of memory the pc can handle. but the chip set is the Mobile Intel® 915GM and intel says "the 915GM Express chipset supports up to 2 GB of DDR2"
    The memory slot doesn't support DDR2. I reckon that if you want to try DDR2 memory, you should put in a DDR2 slot.

Memory upgrades: don't buy the insane expensive 1GB DDR 333MHZ PC2700 from Itronix.
    I just bought a cheaper one from the brand Adata (€33,--) and it works perfectly. I reckon any other 1GB SODIMM 333MHZ PC2700 wil do

The battery: i found the following ad from batteryrebuild.com:
    Itronix 23+050400+01R Battery

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I just ordered myself one of these puppies! It should be here in a few days, I was bouncing around between choosing this or the IX-104 C2 (by Xplore) and while the C2 has a 10.4" screen and is IP67 rated (vs the 8.4" screen and IP54 of the IX325. the IP67 means it can operate in ~1ft of water, while IP54 means it can survive being blasted with water jets, my reasoning explained below); for me the big deciding factor was that the IX325 had a in-built CF reader, a smaller form factor and screen, and a resistive touchscreen in addition to the Wacom pen, plus I could find units that had all the seals on the ports for a reasonable price!

The plan is that this unit will become my photo bag buddy so I just dump my photos from my camera after shooting a bunch, then clear the card for more photos (or even use it tethered to my camera so the photos go directly to the computer, plus the camera can be controlled from it as well); the rugged part comes into play because I do travel a bit and camp out and would love to not have to seal everything (computer especially) in a ziplock baggie or one of my drybags [which is impractical to do when hiking about anyways]. There aren't any really excellent photo back-up units out there anyways, and for the price ($233 w/ S&H) this looks like it may be the ticket, though it likely needs a new battery which I'm not looking forward to getting!

Well, when it comes in I'll play around with it and then I'll take some pictures and post those with a little review (and with any luck I'll do the same with my M1400 now that the semester is all but over!)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Update: well I ordered it on Wednesday, the seller shipped it out mid-day Friday, and it arrived ~9AM Saturday so that was quite fantastic to say the least; onto my impressions:

The unit itself is obviously quite thick and hefty (as expected for a rugged device) and it seems it will have no problems standing up to normal use at all. I got mine with a sort of leather bump case that seems to be really high quality, though thick (it becomes 2" thick exactly; sadly with it on, the screen’s surface is a solid ½ inch recessed from the bump case so it becomes difficult to use the pen or touchscreen at the edges); the screen seems to be plenty bright (in a quick test I did it is exactly as bright as my 2730p at max, it also does quite well outdoors) the resolution is workable but not ideal at 800x600 and the pixel density is perfect, I find the 8.4" 4:3 screen size to be about right for a smaller device but the very limited viewing angles are a letdown to say the least (as with any screen viewing it head on is the best, but beyond that it looks quite awful because of the poor vertical viewing angles -it is better than the M4’s screen is, but not by much; far worse than the M1400 and a lot worse than the 2730p)… After getting it in and spending a few minutes playing with the default XP install on the original HDD (half of which was spent waiting for it to start up, it must have been at least 3 minutes for boot up), I took the IDE to SATA adapter and Crucial M4 SSD and swapped it in (after installing Windows 7 to it from another computer as I couldn’t seem to get the IX325 to boot from a USB DVD drive); at the same time I took the chance to wipe off the old thermal compound and reapply fresh stuff (the paste that was on there before had long ago dried up and no longer seemed to work well at all, so I used ICD7 as its what is around and it seems to do better than the old caked on crud)

I installed Win 7 Ultimate (I use multiple languages for the TIP from time to time), then I installed the chipset drivers and the audio driver I hooked up an ethernet cable and then used device manager and windows update to get the drivers for Wi-Fi, ehternet, modem, and updated drivers for audio and some of the drive management systems. I was then left getting the touch screen working right and after trying the Panjit drivers I found out that some units had touch screens by Semtech (of which my unit had) soon after I found there really aren’t any drivers anywhere for it –but I was able to find this site that has one that works Touch-Base - Download Centre, but it is only a ‘100 click trial’ which after 100 clicks you have to click a on screen OK button and then its good for another 100 clicks; not the greatest, but it works well and is well featured (full version is EXPENSIVE at $200+). Then after that I got the rotate button working by using the ROTATE.zip from here ItronixGoBook : ItronixGoBook and then finding the 'Rotate.exe' and 'screenbox.exe' in the System32 folder then changing their properties so they will be run in XP compatibility mode and run as administrator (I also created a shortcut to the rotate.exe and added it to the start-up folder, then rebooted and it was all working); and for the video driver I downloaded the Vista driver for the Intel 915 meant for the LE1600 on Motion's website and then did the device manager method for installing it

The Wacom pen tracks well except for the edges and the corners (mostly it will track fine there if you angle the pen towards the edge -it looks like the metal housing around the screen interferes with the Wacom digitizer [the bezel around the screen comes right up to the visible screen space]), the touch screen is a whole other animal as I suspected it would be: my unit has a resistive touchscreen unit by Semtech which does pretty well except for the side near the buttons where it has a .5"x1" untouchable zone in the middle where the cursor won't touch the edge, though tracks your finger, normally I find I have to aim a little below my target if I want to hit it precisely using touch, it works mostly well.

Overall the performance seems decent if you tweak things manually -one thing I found is that the processor is often downclocked to 586Mhz (the 6x multiplier) even when it is plugged in and running cool; I have to use RM Clock to force it to run at 1.1Ghz (the 11x multiplier) which keeps things fluid and doesn’t seem to impact how hot it runs much at all. When doing light to medium tasks the temperatures will often be around 45-50C and sometimes it can go up to ~55-56C at most; one interesting thing is it seems the fans will normally run when the temps hit 46-48C or so but only when plugged in (when on battery power the fan doesn’t seem to run at all, but it also doesn’t seem to get much hotter –though it is cold out so that factors into it for now. The fan is annoying though, it doesn’t seem to have a low speed, only a medium and high which makes it loud when it comes on as it is such a tiny fan). I am impressed by the hardware and BIOS the unit has, in the BIOS you can enable ‘stealth mode’ and choose to have the fan off all the time in addition to the indicator LED’s, backlighting, sound and more (all of which are great options to have as you can have it run how you want it to), The hardware buttons are actually hardware encoded buttons and seem to always work no matter what (with the exception of the rotate button, that doesn’t rotate the BIOS screen and it needs a driver in Windows to function)

The build of the thing is very solid, I don’t think there is a mm of flex on the whole unit; everything except for the protective plastic face piece (the sealed metal housing is below it, but it is there so the antennas can be mounted behind it and get a signal) is a solid magnesium alloy that seems very well designed and reinforced, it is also coated in some very thick and tough paint which is supposed to be chemical resistant and very durable (between the metal parts there are glued on silicone gaskets that seem to do fine with keeping dust and water out. The screen’s protective surface is recessed almost a 1/4th inch below a metal bezel and screen itself is under at least 1/4th inch of glass/ layers so there is parallax. The buttons do make a bit of an annoying click sound, but they are solid buttons that also always register so they are good overall (there are also two buttons at the bottom near the HDD compartment, the larger one is a Radios ON/ OFF switch that enables/ disables all wireless radios, the smaller button seems to be a power cut-off switch and it seems to literally cut off power to instantly turn the whole thing off –it needs something tiny like a paperclip, so it won’t accidentally activate).

Beyond that the only issues I've encountered was one missing case screw (which I just replaced with what seems to be the exact same type screw that I took from my 2730p a while back -a screw holding down the modem I think), and it came with a 16V 'replacement' power brick (back of the ix325 says 20V, so I have been using the Rocketfish 40W adapter that seems to work fine), also the battery I got it with originally was truly dead; so I bought another battery and it has been working fine so far(I bought it from a ebay seller for about $170 as it was available and would get to me soon. I have been getting 2.5hrs of low to moderate use out of it at full brightness so it seems to be a good condition battery if not a bit expensive); and the darned compact flash reader seems to be on the PCMCIA bus so it is basically a PC card to compact flash card adapter (which like those will use a lot of CPU power to use and read a storage card, which translates to very slow performance, a decent USB adapter is easily 20-30x faster at 20-30MB/s compared to the built in slot's 1-2MB/s... so it may be fine for a CF GPS unit, but a CF memory card is only a last minute emergency situation thing)

Well, there's a wall of text! I'll post some pics and screenshots a little later
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    untouchable zone in the middle where the cursor won't touch the edge,
    I have the same problem, i have it in the middle on the right side.
    I noticed that calibrating in windows doesn't help much. Try calibrating in the BIOS (digitizer calibration in the main menu), that helped me calibrate the digitizer much better, hope it helps.

Which BIOS do you run? I am running version 02.53
    I can't find anything on the fan. My fan actually won't run.
    I already changed the fan, but it still doesn't run. I suspect it has to do with the BIOS.
    Last edited by MikeyC; 08-11-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Hello,
    Can you tell me how you can set the brightness on the Itronix IX325 with the touch buttons,my touchscreen is almost dark.
    Gr,
    Johan
    Belgium

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ON5AVM View Post
    Hello,
    Can you tell me how you can set the brightness on the Itronix IX325 with the touch buttons,my touchscreen is almost dark.
    Gr,
    Johan
    Belgium
    You should be able to change this in the control panel, in the settings from the Intel GMA Driver for Mobile.
    Johan, do you know of any battery refilling stations in Belgium which are able to refill the IX325 battery ?
    Last edited by MikeyC; 11-24-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Sorry for the late answer.
    There are refilling stations in Belgium but mostly for dealers,not for particular.But you can order li-ion battery in poland by the company TME poland.They have the reffiling battery,s for the itronix.if there on stock.

Thread Information