HP Compaq 2710p Tablet PC Review (Video) Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default HP Compaq 2710p Tablet PC Review (Video) Discussion

HP has done it again, but this time they turned it up a notch with the newly released 2710p Tablet PC. This 12.1" tablet has a solid design that is sleek and very appealing. It's not all eye-candy either, with its 1.2GHz Core 2 Duo processor and solid chassis. We even got some hands-on video of the 2710p in action.

Read the full content of this Article: HP Compaq 2710p Tablet PC Review (Video)

Asus R1f User

Default Re: HP Compaq 2710p Tablet PC Review (Video)

Hi Tiffany,

Great review! Noticed a Fingerprint reader on the side of the unit that you didn't mention. How well does it work? Also, could you kindly do a photo comparison of the HP2710 to the Asus R1f, with both units side by side? I would like to see how much thinner the HP2710 compared to the Asus R1f. Thanks!

Editor/Site Admin

Yes there is a fingerprint reader on the side, thanks for catching that. Also I just sent the 2710p back to HP, so I can't take any pictures of a side by side comparison. I can tell you this though, the HP is about a half an inch thinner. It does only have a 12.1" screen instead of the R1's 13.1" screen and no optical drive. It is a nice portable tablet though. The 2710p has a more solid design then the R1.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Gaming? How good should I expect?

Asus R1f User

Thanks Tiffany! Since you own an R1f, which of the two do you prefer, now that you have spent some time with the HP2710? I appreciate hearing your opinion/comments.

Editor/Site Admin

I like them both for different reasons. The HP 2710p seems quicker than my Asus R1. By that I mean it connects to the wireless faster and I seem to have less problems staying connected. I like the 2710p's design, it is way more sturdy and the chassis is more solid. My Asus has a 13.3" display, which I like better and the optical drive. The 2710p would be a great travel companion tough. It really depends on what you will be using the tablets for. They both have nice active digitizers, great for taking notes.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Tiffany,that video review is very incomplete. I think it should touch more aspects of talbet than just appearance. ( The idea of appearance oftablet can be gained from pictures. But can you get an idea about performance digitizer through pictures? Thats what I think video review should empasize.
    Is it possible to change the format of video review in a such a way that more attention os focused on the functionality of the tablet and less on port location. I think that all users, especially the ones who havent owned one are loooking at such things as: note taking and drawing, quality of digitizer, what is the function of all buttons on the creen and how responsive screen is ( the best would be to include the demonstartion) and other things that anybody would do while examining the tablet. As a prospective user I have been very frustrated that many reviews about tablet pc I found online spent 95% of the time taliing about appearance . and very liitle time about functionality. And it was very difficult to find stores that actually sell tablets. ( I live in chicago ). If a little bit more time was devoted toward the demonstratioon and examination of actual functions of talbet rather than appearance , your reviews would way become more popluar.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Boggs View Post
    2710p seems quicker than my Asus R1. By that I mean it connects to the wireless faster and I seem to have less problems staying connected.
    Wouldn't that be more of a problem with the R1's wireless, though? Or is the updated WiFi just better?

And to QuachMD: no, judging from those 3dmark scores, it probably wouldn't suffice for much more than 2D gaming or 3D games from a 2 or 3 years ago (on good settings, i mean).

Pen Pal - Newbie

Does it use WACOM for 512 levels of sensitivity?
    Does it have turbo memory? If so then maybe the HD isn't that bad

Thanks for the review!
    Last edited by Janson; 07-31-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Super Moderator

Nice review Tiffany, a very enjoyable read for sure.

I have to say . . . the ThinkPad X61 is simply a better machine on the whole, at least for me. Both of them are very comparable.
    X61 has:
    -Batter battery life w/ 8-cell
    -Faster processor
    -Higher resolution display OR multitouch screen vs. the standard resolution active only screen
    -Better keyboard/trackstick (can't get used to HP's track sticks personally although I probably would if I hadn't used a ThinkPad's)
    -More solid quality it seems - you said the lid wobbled in notebook mode
    -Is around the same price

By any chance, is that a 1.8" hard drive in the 2710p or a 2.5"? If it's a 1.8" then that is a performance killer . . . the X61 has a 2.5".

Thread Information