Apple iPad: What a Difference Three Years Makes Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
    Editor, TabletPCReview

Default Apple iPad: What a Difference Three Years Makes Discussion

It was three years ago that Steve Jobs unveiled the original iPad. So people everywhere immediately saw what a game-changer it was going to be, and rushed to embrace it, right? Nope.

Read the full content of this Article: Apple iPad: What a Difference Three Years Makes

Related Articles:

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Apple iPad: What a Difference Three Years Makes Discussion

As a sidebar to this, Apple (or Jobs) also thought there was no market for a smaller iPad... yet their iPad mini is probably selling more than their 10" iPad.

So Samsung was actually right in releasing their first Galaxy Tab as a 7" model... but at least Apple was quicker to adjust than other tablet makers (including MS who should have had a 7" Surface "mini" on their roadmap).

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigNerd View Post
    As a sidebar to this, Apple (or Jobs) also thought there was no market for a smaller iPad... yet their iPad mini is probably selling more than their 10" iPad.

So Samsung was actually right in releasing their first Galaxy Tab as a 7" model... but at least Apple was quicker to adjust than other tablet makers (including MS who should have had a 7" Surface "mini" on their roadmap).
    In fact to add on to that, I think Surface RT should have been a cheaper priced 7-8 inch model with Surface Pro staying its original size. MS missed the boat, and is paying for it with lost sales.

Surface Pro 2 & Sony Vaio Duo 11 (currently on eBay)
    Mobile: iPad Mini and Lumia 925
    Past Notebooks and tablets: Sony Tap 11 (perfect except for battery life), a few generations of Vaio Z, some Android and Windows experiments (HTC Flyer, Archos 9, HP Slate 500), and way back when I had a couple of Dells

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default RE: Apple iPad: What a Difference Three Years Makes Discussion

Maybe, but including office is a major selling point, and at least for now the full office suite probably doesn't work too well on 7inch screens.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Maybe, but including office is a major selling point, and at least for now the full office suite probably doesn't work too well on 7inch screens.
    I owned an Archos 9, and an HP Slate 500, while you may be right about 7 inch screens, Office is great on 8.9 inch screens! I guess that's the screen size I would have liked to see.

Surface Pro 2 & Sony Vaio Duo 11 (currently on eBay)
    Mobile: iPad Mini and Lumia 925
    Past Notebooks and tablets: Sony Tap 11 (perfect except for battery life), a few generations of Vaio Z, some Android and Windows experiments (HTC Flyer, Archos 9, HP Slate 500), and way back when I had a couple of Dells

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Apple iPad: What a Difference Three Years Makes Discussion

With a mini touch cover? Personally I think they nailed the size. If only they'd taken $100 off the price and included a stylus I wouldn't be using a 500T. In the meantime I'll keep dreaming of a Surface Atom2 with pen, or a 1.5lbs Surface Haswell with 8h battery life.

Edit: Apparently there's a change that sonus911's dream will become reality. A link that Steve S dug up:
    http://www.windows8update.com/2013/0...urface-tablet/
    Last edited by JoeS; 02-05-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Thread Information