Apple Sets All-Time iPad Sales Record in Q1 2012 Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
    TechnologyGuide Editor

Default Apple Sets All-Time iPad Sales Record in Q1 2012 Discussion

Apple set an all-time record for iPad sales in Q1 2012 by selling 15.43 million units, a 111% increase over the Q1 2011 total.

Read the full content of this Article: Apple Sets All-Time iPad Sales Record in Q1 2012

Related Articles:

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Default Re: Apple Sets All-Time iPad Sales Record in Q1 2012 Discussion

Jamison,
    Q1 2012 is traditionally over March 31, 2012. Is this a prediction or is Apple's fiscal 'first quarter' which would actually be Q4 of 2011? This sounds like a prediction of performance the way it is titled...
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

TechnologyGuide Editor

For whatever reason, Apple's Q1 runs from Late September until late December/early January the preceding year. Here is the official press release:
    Apple - Press Info - Apple Reports First Quarter Results

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Jamison,
    Each company has a 'fiscal' calendar that does not have to align with the calendar year. Many companies start their 'first quarter' in the Fall, but they are really dispersed throughout the year at random. It has to do with when the company paperwork was filed.

The business reporting also quotes results based on calendar year and the difference is they tie it in to the year. In this case, 'Quarter 1 2012" would be Jan 1 through Mar 31. You will see this in news reports similar to "Dell to launch a new tablet in Q3 2012." That is referencing the time period 10/1 to 12/31.

Financial results are released based on the fiscal corporate quarters, not the year. As with this release it specifies Q1 'fiscal' 2012 results.

I apologize if this seems like splitting hairs, but I read a lot of corporate paperwork and when I saw that they made money in Q1 2012 I coughed up my coffee. It is really Q1 'fiscal' 2012, unique to Apple. Most companies just say "Q1" to designate fiscal, and "Q1 2012" to designate the calendar dates.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Let's not forget that while hardware sales are the backbone of Apple's new empire, ripping off artists is its Lifeblood.

They're certainly "thinking different" while they play this game.

Their big plan is to become the TV/Media network for this century, where they also happen to sell you the TV. With DRM being pushed like mad today the world over, Apple is well positioned to become the brand name behind Big Brother's screens in every room which monitor and control our lives.

Apple can't die soon enough. I just wish I had enough faith in people to think that their death is inevitable; that we'd all stop buying into the system, that people would naturally choose computers with an OS controlled by the individual, and not the other way around.
    Last edited by thatcomicsguy; 01-25-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    Fantasy/Adventure/Sci-fi Comics: www.iboxpublishing.com

TechnologyGuide Editor

I wouldn't worry too much about Apple becoming Big Brother, thatcomicsguy. Android is still the leading mobile platform by market share, and as of the summer, I think Windows was outselling Mac on notebooks and desktops by a margin of 16 to 1.

Yes, Apple makes a ton of money, but the fact is that 99% of businesses run Windows, and any attempts to enter the TV market will be met with stiff competition from Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Sharp, JVC, Vizio, and many others.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    Financial results are released based on the fiscal corporate quarters, not the year. As with this release it specifies Q1 'fiscal' 2012 results.
    So there is the real calendar (Q1 is Q1) then there is this Fiscal calender (Q4 is Q1), and apparently they also have a third, the 'release calendar' (Q1 is Q4, so when they say 'release date Q1 2012' they mean Q4 2012 in real time; This seems to apply for new releases, updated products, and sometimes even repair turn-arounds!). At least there are only three calendars to keep track of...

Quote Originally Posted by thatcomicsguy View Post
    Let's not forget that while hardware sales are the backbone of Apple's new empire, ripping off artists is its Lifeblood.
    THIS! just yesterday I was sitting in speech class listening to others speak about themselves, and one guy got up there saying how he was really interested in music; and that his brother, a friend and himself were going to start music producing and he said "We just got a Mac too, its like essential to music producing" I kid you not... If this guy knew jack-squat about computers I'm sure he would have facepalmed at his own statement! You can just as well use a Windows machine & software for much less $$$ than an apple product, but you won't be as 'cool' doing it -but who needs any money when you can just live off 3 Cup Noodle a day for the next year to afford that Mac and software

But it is funny, Apple wouldn't exist (at all?) had MS not 'bought technologies/ rights from apple' [bailed them out] many years ago [approximately end of Newton era]! But I think the demise of apple has began, unless Steve Jobs left some really solid game plan, I think any future 'magic' from apple will end up fizzling out to cheap card tricks... They may be able to ride out the next couple years simply upgrading the current lines, but that will only go so far, then they will try to be innovative, utterly fail and loose all assets trying to recover from the blunder, and ultimately become a subsidiary of Dell

About Big Brother, if 'he' gets too big in the states we'll just riot and ship him off to Canada [you all have to split the VATS and Taxes of importing 'him' though]!
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Thread Information